• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Training for half marathon + Hypertrophy training = ?

X_X

Reaction score
I'm training for a half marathon staring today (not to seriously compete) and will run 5 times a week. I'm working out 3 times a week and will eat maintenance accounting for the extra exercise.

I'm hoping to stay the same weight with some nice recomp going.

What do you guys think will happen?

I might post some before and after pics after its all over.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your run times will improve.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope you have time to sleep ~12 hours a day

Naw I am just kidding but yea that is some intense training

However pro athletes do it somehow.

X_X

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
I hope you have time to sleep ~12 hours a day

Naw I am just kidding but yea that is some intense training

However pro athletes do it somehow.

That's what I was thinking, how everyone repeats that you cant gain any muscle while running but football players somehow are huge while running God knows how many miles a day.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by X_X
That's what I was thinking, how everyone repeats that you cant gain any muscle while running but football players somehow are huge while running God knows how many miles a day.

They are also doing steroids and running interval sprints instead of steady distance.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
They are also doing steroids and running interval sprints instead of steady distance.
And they are eating something like double to triple their maintenance calories, which is why they have short life expectancies. They've spent their entire lives eating massive amounts of food and when they retire, they stop doing the exercise but keep up the cals.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by X_X

Professional football players are genetic marvels who can get 24" biceps by jerking off and eating potato chips.

Hypertrophy training + marathon training = two opposite sides of the spectrum. I would do one or the other, but I'm interested to see how it works out.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
How's you training going? If you are a beginner, running 5 times a week sounds like a lot. Keep in mind that running can be really hard on your body. Take it easy!

I've been combing the two for about half a year now. Results are as follows:

Originally Posted by TrH
Your run times will improve.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
And they are eating something like double to triple their maintenance calories, which is why they have short life expectancies. They've spent their entire lives eating massive amounts of food and when they retire, they stop doing the exercise but keep up the cals.
Yea the steroids and intense physical activity have nothing to do with it (7)

X_X

Reaction score
We'll see how it goes, I'm feeling great so far.

I know what gets repeated, but I just started to doubt it lately.

According to bro science, if you eat maintenance you should not gain muscle or lose fat which
should be the same as not working out. I skeptical after seen men in great shape with out bulking and cutting.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it depends on what you call maintenance.

But if you eat your BMR + whatever you lose from running, you will "recomp"... i.e. put on muscle and burn fat r e a l l y s l o w l y.

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been doing this for the past couple months or so, with mixed results. I've put on some muscle and increased my lifts, but I have a feeling they're going to plateau fairly soon - at which I will have to decide which activity to focus on. It does feel cool to go for a run and look/feel way more jacked than the other runners out there.

FWIW, I'm a student on summer break and only work part-time, so I have plenty of time for exercise and recuperation. Doing this while working a 9-5 would be much more difficult.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
OP, I have no idea what the bro science is, nor what to tell you to expect, because I don't know your expected training plan (distance/track/hills), and I don't know your current level of conditioning. But I do wish you luck, both with your training and your upcoming race.

CrimProf

Reaction score
I'm up to half marathon distance, basically from couch to 13 miles.

I started slowly. I walked on the treadmill to start and kept upping the times and speed until I was jogging. From there, I kept gradually adding distance--as much as I felt I could handle. I didn't try to rush anything, which is why I think I was able to keep at it. I didn't overtax my body; I just kept pushing in small doses.

I ran three days a week (MWF). I might have started out at 3 miles per outing when I graduated from the treadmill to the road (now I do 10, 9, 10 or 8, 12-13, 7). I walked on the off days. You may be feeling good now running five days a week, but if you haven't run before your body isn't going to be up to it unless you're really running short distances. It takes time for your muscles to adjust and for your cardiovascular system to train to the point where you don't get winded. That doesn't usually happen overnight. And resting was part of that. But whatever works for you; the important thing is to keep at it.

Run on your toes. Don't strike the ground with your heel. Your knees will thank you on the long slogs. Taken an id bracelet so the police will know where to mail your body when some idiot driver who isn't watching where he's going knocks you into the bushes. Don't wear cotton anything unless you want to have chafed and bleeding nipples and feet blistered all to hell.

As for body recomp, I haven't lifted weights in three years. I had to start again this week because my upper body muscles have disappeared. My lower body is nicely toned, or at least my woman appreciates it. But such muscles as I show are because I have practically no body fat.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
Professional football players are genetic marvels who can get 24" biceps by jerking off and eating potato chips.

Hypertrophy training + marathon training = two opposite sides of the spectrum. I would do one THEN the other whilst maintaining the first, but I'm interested to see how it works out.

Periodization FTW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads