• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Training "down" your chest?

iamprov76

Reaction score
So after years of doing chest exercises, I'd like to try slimming them down so they have more of a swimmer's look than a amateur bodybuilder. I'd imagine lower weight and way more reps would be the key, but when I try that it doesn't seem like anything is happening. Once you've grown substantial chest muscles (I am 6' 1", 195 lbs., with a 44" chest), is it possible to lessen the size without losing any tone to them? Thanks.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably not. lower weight and way more reps will just pump them up and not really do anything.

If you want a swimmer's body, why don't you try swimming?

iamprov76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex

If you want a swimmer's body, why don't you try swimming?

Out of the mouths of babes... but seriously, i have no access to a pool. i do a good amount of cardio, tho.

ShyBoy

Reaction score
you basically have to stop training the chest and just lean out

i had the same problem with my triceps

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iamprov76
So after years of doing chest exercises, I'd like to try slimming them down so they have more of a swimmer's look than a amateur bodybuilder. I'd imagine lower weight and way more reps would be the key, but when I try that it doesn't seem like anything is happening. Once you've grown substantial chest muscles (I am 6' 1", 195 lbs., with a 44" chest), is it possible to lessen the size without losing any tone to them? Thanks.

YOu don't have a 44" chest. You just wear a size 17.5/44 shirt which does not equate to a 44" chest.

iamprov76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
YOu don't have a 44" chest. You just wear a size 17.5/44 shirt which does not equate to a 44" chest.

No, actually I measured my chest with tailor's tape and it's 44". (Neck is 16").

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the thing about muscles is that they only get bigger or smaller. if you want to make them smaller, that means less muscle will show from under your skin and naturally you'll lose the "tone" that you used to have. But if you're willing to make that sacrifice then I think it could be possible.

ShyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iamprov76
No, actually I measured my chest with tailor's tape and it's 44". (Neck is 16").

meaurements are deceiving,as your back width and thickness could be throwing out your measurements

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShyBoy
meaurements are deceiving,as your back width and thickness could be throwing out your measurements

Your back is part of the chest circumference, how is it going to throw off any of the measurements?

ShyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Your back is part of the chest circumference, how is it going to throw off any of the measurements?

easily,a person can have a chest that is narrow,or not much width,but can have a wide and thick back...

this is not kunk,ok
14wu8on.jpg

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
easily,a person can have a chest that is narrow,or not much width,but can have a wide and thick back...

That's not throwing the measurement off, but the way it appears.

ShyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
That's not throwing the measurement off, but the way it appears.

what dont you get,seriously?

a guy can have chest which is lacking in width,but is vey thick...

a guy can have a wide chest,but lacking in thickness

these 2 guys can have the same chest measurements,but that doesnt mean that they can wear shirts in the same size

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score

this is not kunk,ok
14wu8on.jpg

oh boy. sorry, but i dont like this look of a body.

i have the problem of a big chest and big triceps and have tried multiple times to just not train them at all to see if i can shrink them. it is not possible.

i rather have the look of a narrow shouldered guy with a belly who can sustain a suit well, than a triangular shaped body that cannot.

ShyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
oh boy. sorry, but i dont like this look of a body.

i have the problem of a big chest and big triceps and have tried multiple times to just not train them at all to see if i can shrink them. it is not possible.
i rather have the look of a narrow shouldered guy with a belly who can sustain a suit well, than a triangular shaped body that cannot.

it is possible,just do isolation exercises,as that way you dont overly work the muscles you are avoiding

eg chest,do various flyes or peck deck exercise at different angles.This way you avoid activating the triceps

all pressing exercises work your triceps, as they are a secondary muscle

if you want to work shoulders without using triceps, front delotoid raises,plus side and real deltoid raises are ideal

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what dont you get,seriously?

a guy can have chest which is lacking in width,but is vey thick...

a guy can have a wide chest,but lacking in thickness

these 2 guys can have the same chest measurements,but that doesnt mean that they can wear shirts in the same size

Basically saying the same thing. The measurements are what they are, circumference around the chest. The don't tell you anything about the proportions of what makes up the measurement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads