• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traffic in central london

kalra2411

Reaction score
Was anyone in it today, I had to go all the way across town, from Ealing to Islington via Maida Vale.

Euston Road - the underpass and interchange with A400 Tottenham court road: spent 45 minutes there, and that was at 3PM. I am thankful I was not there at rush hour, not even an accident, or anything- I could not work out what the commotion was about.

Hanger Lane A40/North Circular interchange - No surprises here, 10 AM Perivale junction, 10.30 Park Royal (under 2 miles). Ridiculous or what?

Marylebone Road - 1 HOUR to do just 1 MILE, after Madame Tussards, and before Euston station.

Edgeware Road A5/ Marylebone Road A501 approach - 20 minutes to get from Marylebone Road, onto the Edgeware Road.

That shows us all what Ken's congestion charge does to our city. The tube goes on strike, and it is absolute chaos - and he is worried about people not using enough public transport. I say he is mad.

Moreover, the reason for all this, in my opinion is, people are trying to avoid the congestion charge by using the Marylebone Road, (Runs just north of the zone).

Perhaps I should have considered the route M40 South Eastbound-A312 Ruislip Heathrow Southbound- M4 Great West Road Eastbound-Hammersmith Flyover/Brompton Road/Knightsbridge Eastbound- Constitution Hill- The Mall- Nelson's Column Roundabout- Exit Victoria Embankment- New Bridge Street/ Farringdon Road Northbound (A201) - Right Holburn Viaduct- North Aldersgate/St. Martins (A1).

Nevertheless, for those who know London, that is a major diversion.

Ken, get your act together, either cancel the congestion zone, or make it bigger (the problem with that is people will still try and avoid it, and there will be more traffic on the surrounding roads, as I have seen toady. )

Any opinions or views? How is your city for Traffic, Manhattan is amazing, I can get from Midtown-East to the Financial District in a matter of minutes on the FDR Drive, or THRU STREETS to travel cross-town. London just keeps getting worse.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
 Mr. Mittal is taking a two week vacation on a private island in Indonesia  "Perhaps you do know me..."
I thought you were in Indonesia? Â
biggrin.gif
But seriously, I had someone miss a conference call because of bad traffic, so I guess I will have to give them a pass.

kalra2411

Reaction score
No, for the simple reason that these were not planed trips, I intended to just go to Ealing, but I stopped off for Lunch at a home in Maida Vale, and was called for an urgent meeting to Islington.

To take out the helicopter, forward planning is needed, and it is not amicable to travel such short distances in a Helicopter, perhaps if I were traveling a medium distance, like to Amsterdam or Birmingham, I would use the Helicopter.
\t
Moreover, I enjoy driving.

kalra2411

Reaction score
 Mr. Mittal is taking a two week vacation on a private island in Indonesia  "Perhaps you do know me..."
I thought you were in Indonesia? Â
biggrin.gif
But seriously, I had someone miss a conference call because of bad traffic, so I guess I will have to give them a pass.
I think my comment here was not apt. I meant, and that it may be possible that that person knew me, but I was not referring to the Indonesia comment. I am not in Indonesia, and it is obvious that I would not be, as I have just returned from my daughters wedding. I think you must realise that person was a class act rubbish talker, otherwise why would he not just speak to me in person, as I asked him to do.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike,
Where you living in LA? Yeah, traffic sucks here. The best part about being a student is that you can mostly avoid rush hour...unfortunately, I'm about to enter the real world.

Kalra,
You like driving that much? If it was an open road, I could understand, but communting is never any fun. By the way, which car do you use as your communter? Just curious.
Ever since you introduced yourself in the cars thread, I've also always wanted to ask, since you seem to like the Benz so much, why did you decide on the SL55, as opposed to say and SL65? You could at least take it to Brabus and make it a K8 or take it to Kleemann to turn it into a proper sports car.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike,
Where you living in LA? Yeah, traffic sucks here. The best part about being a student is that you can mostly avoid rush hour...unfortunately, I'm about to enter the real world.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Actually, my SL55 is the DEMAT F1 Pace Car, but I though that would be showing off too much, so I refrained from mentioning. I did not go for the Brabus upgrade because the suspension is too hard, and I did not go for the SL65 because I cannot get hold of one yet, there is a 14-month waiting list in the UK for those.

The Lamborghini Murcielago and Bugatti Veyron are the REAL sports cars, the SL55, Ferrari 360, and 575M, and the Porsche Carrera 4S are what I would call the fast toys.

I really like to drive the S55, and that is what I was driving at the time, at a time, as it was (mid daytime) I did not expect any traffic. But due to the tube strike, it was crazy...

kalra2411

Reaction score
Commute? Hampstead to The City (name of London's financial district, where I go to work usually, as my personal office is located there- not literally the city, as Hampstead is also the inner city and part of Central London) is less than five minutes, and mostly 4 lane roads.

Normally I take the SL55, or these days my new Bentley Continental GT; or if I can be bothered to arrange the driver the night before (he asks me to give 12 hours notice - which I find reasonable) I will be driven in the S55.

kalra2411

Reaction score
I really like to drive the S55, and that is what I was driving at the time, at a time, as it was (mid daytime) I did not expect any traffic. But due to the tube strike, it was crazy...

I know strange, but it is funny when some kid in a Ferrari 360 tries to race you on Park Lane, and you just squeeze a little on the accelerator, and he is left trailing... It just looks so great, especially when you are in a 4 door saloon, and he is in a dam Ferrari. The look on these kids faces are priceless.

alexawl

Reaction score
Kalra, what more utter **** is this, uh, the ******* nerve you have talk this bollocks, attending a meeting in Islington, ******* hell, the biggest pile of ****, you were with me, Avnish Kalra, son of Ashwan Kalra, AKII. What are you doing telling all of this crap, it will make no one listen to you on style forum, when they find out about this ****. You were with me going to the design business centre in Islington high street for the new designers exhibition with our school. Stop with the ****, and you wonder why I doubted Aleyna, HA HA HA you do make me laugh...............

Brian SD

Reaction score
For the most part, I'm living in LA this summer and the traffic here is by far the worst I've seen anywhere in the world.
Good God, are you ever right. Took me 5 hours to get home from LA. And I complain about downtown San Diego traffic... Eep. When you are going south on the 101, it seems the 5 jct. is always closed down, so I end up going all the way out east towards pomona

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads