• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traditional or Modern jeans ?

Empire

Reaction score
What is the preference on the forum ? I am finding myself getting into higher rise denim right now like Lvc but i guess it depends on the situation. Slimmish legs and a higher rise seems to make me look taller which is good and obviously they're alot more comfortable than low rise on the hips.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not like traditional denim. I prefer my Crate WAY more than the 501.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like traditional, or traditional with a modern twist.

id take 501 over nudie any day, but id take my contest sammies over 501

Reaction score
I sometimes prefer things I do NOT like over things I do... ANYWAY, I have to go with trad w/ modern twist a la canes/sam/eternal.

Empire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
i like traditional, or traditional with a modern twist.

id take 501 over nudie any day, but id take my contest sammies over 501

What brands do traditional denim with modern twists. I only know of maybe Sugarcane ?
confused.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Since the Thin Finn is my fave jean I guess i like modern....tho if I answered this last year I prolly would have said 'traditional with a twist'

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I'll take traditional on the rocks.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just restating the obvious here, but I think part of the reason some people are hesitant to embrace traditional, slightly tapered higher-rise cuts is that when you're not looking in a mirror they look kind of f***** up (of course, body type has a lot to do with it too).

I've had this problem with a killer pair of classic-fit Helmut Langs (still tagged, and possibly for sale soon - watch this space!) I scored off Yoox a while back; they look great on me when I'm standing in front of a mirror, but whenever I'm looking down at my feet I can't shake the feeling that something's really, really off. You're always meant to trust the mirror, not your own perspective, but it's hard to remeber that when every glance downwards throws you a little - you know what I mean?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I gotta go with modern. I usually like a looser fit through the legs than most on, say, SuFu, so that I like about more traditional jeans, but I just can't deal with high rises. It's the male equivalent of Mom jeans. Super low rises can look pretty stupid, just like anything when taken to an extreme, but you can't tuck **** into high rise jeans without looking like you should be resting a beer on your gut and yelling at your kids to bring you a sandwich.

Max

Reaction score
Right now I'm on more of a modern kick. My 501s served me well for several years, but I lost weight and now they don't fit. I might grab a new pair.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just really like the idea of wearing classic cuts, even if they don't fit absolutely perfect - to some degree or another, I feel like when you put on jeans you're paying homage to guys like Brando, Dean, and Cassady (see cmf's posts in the current button-front thread), who worked with what they had. Also, I think STFs are a bit more versatile than we usually give them credit for - they come in so many damn length/waist combos that most people can make a pair work by sizing down, adding a bit to the inseam, etc.

Also, I'm a bit confused by the whole skinny craze - that's a throwback too, to noted reactionary Johnny Ramone et. al., right? What did they wear? Were they just rocking ubertight Levi's, or was it some bold new mid-70s cut?

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, whether or not the current STFs are indeed classic is open to debate, I think (though of course they're still tapered with a higher rise). I know they're a bit different than the '47s, but I thought I remebered reading that the current ones are patterned after the '50s style?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I will say this, some people can pull off a higher rise, more traditional cut and it looks great on them. And if it's part of a look that's clearly paying homage to the classics, it can work well. But for my body personally, the rise, seat, etc just look wrong on me with a more traditional cut. So I guess, like everything else in fashion, it just depends. On your body, on your overall style, on your confidence in your look....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads