• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Traditional New Years Dinners

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a traditional new years meal, either family, national or religious?

The only thing we ever traditionally cooked was on New Years growing up:
Corned Beef Reubens (ode to partial irish heritage i guess)
German Potato Salad (Extra vinegar, mmm....)
Cole Slaw

Anyone else have something unique to soak up the booze?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't remember. Usually roast, I think.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nye, we have mexican or chinese takeout with our closest friends.

on nyd, roast chicken, oven-roasted potatos, broccoli rabbe, pumpkin pie, mulled red wine and hot cider.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I've just stayed in (increasingly the case on the eve), usually a roast of some kind as the main and various appys. Tonight it's certified angus prime rib. Combined with the wine I'll be drinking, I may in bed by 10pm. NYD calls for pizza takeout.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Reaction score
Isn't booze the traditional New Years dinner?

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My grandpa always used to make clam chowder, but we haven't really done it since he died.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never done anything special on New Years Day. I thought people just got the day off on New Years because they were hung over from New Years Eve. By New Years Day I'm too pooped and hungover from all the excitement from last week.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I have never done anything special on New Years Day. I thought people just got the day off on New Years because they were hung over from New Years Eve. By New Years Day I'm too pooped and hungover from all the excitement from last week.

I read that as excrement.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Menudo is a traditional New Year's Day dish in the Hispanic community here in Arizona. It's reputed to cure hangovers. I tried it once and thought it was tasty, but I wasn't really hungover that year

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just made a navy bean chowder with smoked turkey, bacon, diced ham, shrimp, carrotts and cilantro. The smoked paprika and cumin set it off!!!

Been watching iron chef marathon so I was inspired. Finished everything off with an Arnold Palmer 2004 Cabernet I have been saving in the cellar. WOW.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was supposed to be lentils. Here in the South it's greens and black-eyed peas.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I thought it was supposed to be lentils. Here in the South it's greens and black-eyed peas.

Every year with the in-laws. Pork, boiled cabbage, greens, black-eyed peas. This year no cornbread though

Kaizen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Pork, boiled cabbage, greens, black-eyed peas. This year no cornbread though

You should have gone to Luby's. I had the same meal, but with cornbread.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.8%
  • 31 - 40