• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trading floor attire

newyorker

Reaction score
If you worked on an investment bank's trading floor -- but not as a trader -- what would you wear?

Suit and tie is not appropriate because of the culture and the heat.

Would you wear:
1) spread cotton shirts + wool pants, without rolling up your sleeves?
2) spread cotton shirts + wool pants, rolling up your sleeves?
3) preppy clothes: polo + khakis + loafers?
4) some other combination?

What would you not wear?

For those who have worked on the trading floor, any behavioral(.)/career advice would be appreciated.

I'm about to sacrifice my 8 ft x 8 ft cubicle for 3 ft of desk space.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you worked on an investment bank's trading floor -- but not as a trader -- what would you wear?

Would you wear:

What would you not wear?

For those who have worked on the trading floor, any behavioral(.)/career advice would be appreciated.

I work on a trading floor and I wear cotton shirts and wool pants, as most people do.  I very rarely roll up my sleeves, but that is a matter of preference.  I don't own a pair of khakis.  However, even if I did, I wouldn't wear them to work becuase I don't consider khakis and a polo business casual.  

The amount of desk space you are allotted definitely tests your organizational skills.  You learn to rely on soft copies of documents, etc rather than hard copies.    

Just work hard and have fun while doing it.

tgfny

Reaction score

Would you wear:

What would you not wear?

button down and wool trousers. Be prepared to have the person next to you know every detailof your life.I rolled up my sleeves during the summer and when a new company filed, but that's just me.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can tell you that in the mid-nineties while I worked on the floor at Merrill Lynch (Vesey St 7th floor, fixed income), I wore a suit and tie every day. The jacket came off as soon as I sat down. Occassionally I would roll up my sleeves.

newyorker

Reaction score
Anyone else?
biggrin.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else? Â
biggrin.gif
Yes, I'd wear a blue pair of poplin trousers with yellow mallards. I'd probably wear a pink button Brooks oxford, black cordo tassles, and and a vintange collegiate Communist Club pin.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The traders on the floor of the large investment bank where I worked up until a couple months ago wore wool trousers and nice dress shirts. Â They were definitely one of the best-dressed groups in a firm whose employees generally have no idea what smart business casual means. Â In the small fund where I work now, the traders consider themselves dressed up if they're wearing a clean, unwrinkled t-shirt with their baggy jeans. Â
sad.gif
dan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads