• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trad contest finalists

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Manton has selected the following finalists. The below text is his: OK, this has been hard. Many, many worthy competitors. In the end, I thought AlanC, Brownshoe, Crazyquick, Patrick06790, Untitled, and zjpj83 emerged at the head of the pack. I want to make special mention of Parker, Shorman, Lucky Strike, and VWGuy, each of whom posted at least one outfit that I thought was worthy of the best. Yet I had to make a call, and in some small respect each fell a bit short of its peers. It's also possible that I was influenced by the overall strength of the others' multiple entries. Click the poster's name to see the original post, so you can judge all the photos posted and get a better sense of the overall ensemble. I here only post one pic, for reference. AlanC:
bble5807dn2.jpg
Just iconically trad in every way. Brownshoe:
14117463093.jpg
I hope he does not think it unfair that I choose perhaps his least stereotypically trad entry. Yet I think it is actually easier in many ways to haul out uber-trad elements. It's much harder to do trad within the confines of conservative business dress and still make it look trad. crazyquick:
dscn0245zt4.jpg
I chose this because no one wore either a bow tie or a vest better. Patrick06790
73a909b8.jpg
I know I called this outfit bland by comparison to his other entry, but it is so pitch-perfectly trad, that I have to go with it here. untilted: The pic is too damned big to post. But can black tie get mor trad than this? zjpj83:
tradoutfit1oq8.jpg
I know a lot of people are going to say I should have chosen his other big entry, but that one struck me as more forced the more I thought about it. This seems more in the insouciant spirit of trad. ------------------------------- Voting ends three days from now, which is around 11:45 AM EST on Saturday. Thanks to all the contestants, this was a lot of fun. The winner will receive the below Kent Wang pink checked seersucker pocket square.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry, without Parker there is a big no vote from me.
brewster.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I liked Parker, but his entries were more 1960 California Cool than truly trad. It's a different contest. Maybe Kent will offer up another square and we can have that contest.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yeah, well I like 60s cool more than trad. Is Brewster's Millions trad?

btw: you spend 7 hours in Heathrow and Gatwick and see if you don't get a little testy by the end.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If Heathrow had a cigar bar, that would take some of the sting out of it.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the link to finalist #5' s post is misidentified. It is labled "Untitled" as opposed to "untilted". This is clearly going to invalidate the vote. It may even be a sign of bias on the part of the judges. The only way to save face and avoid a lawsuit at this point is to offer prizes to all entrants.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be public and say I voted for AlanC (among some very strong candidates). He just looks like what I think of when I think "trad" (plus the pocket square would go really well with that outfit).

As an aside, Heathrow has got to be one of the most depressing airports I've ever seen. I'd hate to have a long layover there.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
I'm sorry, but the link to finalist #5' s post is misidentified. It is labled "Untitled" as opposed to "untilted". This is clearly going to invalidate the vote. It may even be a sign of bias on the part of the judges. The only way to save face and avoid a lawsuit at this point is to offer prizes to all entrants.
I have corrected the error.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I'll be public and say I voted for AlanC (among some very strong candidates). He just looks like what I think of when I think "trad" (plus the pocket square would go really well with that outfit).

I agree, the PS would go well with AlanC's outfit. However, I think if Brownshoe does not win I wll blame it on hanging-chads.

untilted

Reaction score
Thank you, Manton, for nominating me. I would rather compete with my other entry, the red sack blazer combo @ foxfield. This one is cool though.

I would also rather have either lucky strike or parker to take my spot, if it's not too late.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I prefered this one to that other one, which had some small flaws. If you want to withdraw from the contest, well, let's see what Kent says. I have to wonder, why enter if you want to drop out after making it to the finals?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I have corrected the error.

Perhaps you can fix the link for crazyquik (and the spelling of his username) while you're at it. It's pointing to Brownshoe's post at the moment.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fixed.

No, you cannot withdraw and have someone take your place. That would be highly irregular.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by untilted
I would also rather have either lucky strike or parker to take my spot, if it's not too late.
Thanks, Untilted, but as confirmed and authentic Eurotrash, I'm happy just to have been mentioned in despatches
smile.gif
This should be a close race - good luck to all!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads