• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tracking on International Shipping?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sell on eBay quite regularly and I've about had it with international claims. Well, I've only had issues with one specific country (Greece), but that's a whole different issue. Anyway, it appears that eBay will not favor on the side of the seller unless a) the buyer says they got the item or b) the seller provides a valid online tracking # (ie: not a customs form #). USPS says there is no way to track an international package unless it's sent Global Express or something with a very high rate. So basically selling internationally puts me always at risk of getting scamed.

My question is, does FedEx or UPS offer a decent, trackable form of international shipping that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

shademore

Reaction score
I sell worldwide regularly through ebay. Everything goes USPS Express (with the exception of Canada which tracks Priority)for just that reason. At around $30 a shot its also the cheapest option out there. I recently had a buyer in Italy try the "I didn't get it scam" with paypal. Express tracking was loaded in and I had the funds back, case closed in under 5 min.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I sell on eBay quite regularly and I've about had it with international claims. Well, I've only had issues with one specific country (Greece), but that's a whole different issue. Anyway, it appears that eBay will not favor on the side of the seller unless a) the buyer says they got the item or b) the seller provides a valid online tracking # (ie: not a customs form #). USPS says there is no way to track an international package unless it's sent Global Express or something with a very high rate. So basically selling internationally puts me always at risk of getting scammed.

This is awful, makes me wonder on my own end...

Originally Posted by Nataku
My question is, does FedEx or UPS offer a decent, trackable form of international shipping that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

None that I've found as a hobby seller.

What confuses me is that I receive a few lbs. item from Europe via UPS and FedEx, cost me only $25 USD from the business. I want to ship something I'm selling of the same size and weight I get a bill of $125 for UPS/FedEx. Why such a disjunction?

shademore

Reaction score
I know I sound like an ad for the post, but USPS Express has the best rates by far.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
What confuses me is that I receive a few lbs. item from Europe via UPS and FedEx, cost me only $25 USD from the business. I want to ship something I'm selling of the same size and weight I get a bill of $125 for UPS/FedEx. Why such a disjunction?
Bulk shipping discounts The best way is to avoid questionable destinations (at least on Ebay, I've had no problems shipping around the world on here and SuFu). Italy, Greece, China, Korea, India, Eastern Europe, Africa are all no-fly zones unless I know/trust the person. Worst is as a buyer when you buy overseas and get a fake, the return cost can be high enough that it makes no sense to get a return, hate that.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ive learned this lesson the hard way many times, but the trick is that sometimes (this is only applicable for the people who print their own postage at home) the post office does not "scan in" the 4 part label for an international shipment. Technically, they are not required to (!!) - but if they dont, then the rest of the tracking history never gets uploaded into the tracking, and a buyer wins a not received case.

If you are printing your labels at home, make SURE when you drop them at the post office that you say they must "scan in as accepted". Without it, you cannot see when it was delivered.

shademore

Reaction score
The deal with Seller protection, is that the item you send has to track as delivered to the buyer's paypal address. After having a couple items "lost" in customs in some of the more notoriously corrupt countries, and losing out because they never tracked as delivered, I started shipping exclusively Express and adding insurance to the full value of each package.
Express has a built in $100 insurance which generally doesn't cover my sales. The online post won't allow you to add insurance when you print your declarations at home, so I take them down to the post. Where they get scanned and the insurance is added.
Granted I only am shipping small, light packages of moderate value but they rarely cost more $30 and are generally through customs and in the buyers' hand in 7 days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads