• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Track shoes? Low profile sneakers? Sorta like Chucks.

kingnor

Reaction score
So I'm looking for shoes.

I don't really know what to call them but i've always really liked low profile shoes that fit fairly snug and don't have lots of padding. I've been wearing the classic converse sneakers since I was about 10 and havn't thought much of it.

recently I bought a pair of Puma USAN's which I love

http://imageserverus.puma.com/pisa/p...55&w=450&h=450

rather than do my usual thing where i buy a few of the exact same shoe in different colors, i thought maybe i should look for varying shoes of similar style.

I'm kinda picky though, I really like the very flat top of the puma's i got and since i wear a size 8-10 i try to avoid shoes that make my feet look small and weird. so i generally avoid shoes that fan out wide laterally

these would be a good example of something close but not quite what i'm looking for:

http://imageserverus.puma.com/pisa/p...55&w=450&h=450

I'm also trying to keep things under 100 or so dollars since i'm very rough on my shoes. hmm so maybe something that will wear out and still have a good look to it?

any advice is appreciated

i'm not like... talking crazy talk am i?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at various PF Flier styles or Adidas Sambas. They should be available on Zappos - free shipping both ways (if you return).

Median

Reaction score
I have these Asics in black but the walnut also looks real good to me; I prefer these to Puma Speedcats:
http://zeta.zappos.com/product/7403561/color/139
10757-604372-d.jpg

And these Uggs are quite a dressy but pricy Converse style:
http://zeta.zappos.com/product/7419546/color/31801
6627-644620-d.jpg

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men's Style once wrote that Sambas are the only trainers that could/should possibly be worn with suits. They might be right. Only one man can wear Converse with a suit and he spends his time saving the universe, so he has the necessary flair - I speak, of course, of the current David Tennant incarnation of Doctor Who

When I was a sneakerhead, I was almost entirely loyal to Puma and Adidas. They tend to make the best low profile kicks and I'd definitely suggest a look at Puma's collabos with Alexander McQueen and Mihara Yasuhiro, although they are something of an acquired taste at times

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tons of Asics and suggest you try them

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Have you considered checking out traditional skateboarding shoes, like Globe, Vans, DC, Adio, etc.? Skate shoes are usually very flat and low profile. Most are also very comfortable to wear, but they do have the disadvantage of not having gel/air soles. Check out www.skateamerica.com for a good selection of skateboard shoes. I also recommend the Asics Gel-Nebraska and similar style "city walker" shoes. They don't look less like sneakers, but still they are very comfortable.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
As a bit of a sneakerhead, I might suggest the Nike ID Tiempo (indoor soccer shoe). With Nike ID, you can create your own shoes using colors of your choosing. It's pretty cool.

chl

Reaction score
Luigi Martini , General Manager Kiton NYC wears sneakers with his suits, converse and others

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chl
Luigi Martini , General Manager Kiton NYC wears sneakers with his suits, converse and others
He's an idiot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads