• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

track jacket vs. hoodie

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whats better, track jacket or hoodie? i am inexplicably drawn towards hoodies for some reason, even though ive never actually used a hood, so functionally they are the same.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never seen a track jacket work itself peacefully into an outfit. It always clashes somehow, either because it uses a technical fabric that contrasts with earthy crunchy cotton, or because the cut/design says "I'm an off duty runner" in a way that hoodies cannot. Hoodies are humbler, more relaxed, less willing to pop out of an outfit and run away.

super

Reaction score
hoodies are more versatile in my opinion. gives off the right casual look

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about a track jacket that looks a lot like a hoodie with heavy cotton fabric, but lacks a hood? Both Kicking Mule and Wings+Horns have made track jackets that look like this. From the front view it's hard to tell that they're not a hoodie. And they are easier to layer under a heaver jacket since you don't have the hood getting in the way.

When we say "track jacket" I believe most people are exclusively envisioning a lightweight nylon jacket with stripes on it that looks like something you'd wear to the gym. If that's what we're talking about, then I agree those are awful.

Somehow the hoodie look has managed evolve beyond the gym look, whereas the traditional track jacket is still burdened with that image.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
What about a track jacket that looks a lot like a hoodie with heavy cotton fabric, but lacks a hood? Both Kicking Mule and Wings+Horns have made track jackets that look like this. From the front view it's hard to tell that they're not a hoodie. And they are easier to layer under a heaver jacket since you don't have the hood getting in the way.

When we say "track jacket" I believe most people are exclusively envisioning a lightweight nylon jacket with stripes on it that looks like something you'd wear to the gym. If that's what we're talking about, then I agree those are awful.

Somehow the hoodie look has managed evolve beyond the gym look, whereas the traditional track jacket is still burdened with that image.

yes that is what i was thinking of. i cant figure out why i like this:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...ductId=3454911

more than this:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...ductId=3628865

when they are really essentially the same thing

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
the way the hood drapes
redface.gif
?

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stronger than expected showing for track jacket in the poll -- i would have thought it would be a blow out. Don't see many track jackets that I like.

^^ that RL track jacket is a fleece, which I don't think of as a track jacket. A track jacket to me is nylon with stripes.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
stronger than expected showing for track jacket in the poll -- i would have thought it would be a blow out. Don't see many track jackets that I like.

^^ that RL track jacket is a fleece, which I don't think of as a track jacket. A track jacket to me is nylon with stripes.

i dont think its the material composition that counts, just the style... im sure there are nylon hoodies with stripes...

mainly though im wondering how many people actually use the hood on a hoodie? by the time its cold enough for me to need something to cover my head, ive moved on to down/wool jackets, so ive never used the hood on a basic cotton hoodie, and if i did i think it would make me look like a hoodlum.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I use the hood if I'm unexpectedly caught in rain without an umbrella. The weather in Ithaca is very random. That said, I don't really wear hoodies very often though.

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
one of the reasons i dont like a track jacket is its collar, its a permanent popped collar.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hoodies for general purpose

track jackets will always have that sporty adidas stigma, and generally they don't look good with anything aside from denim because of the polyester

this is assuming by track jacket we are speaking of a polyester type, there are some knit cotton sweaters that use a similar structure (full zip mock turtleneck) which are a bit better

Pierat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdarkeye
one of the reasons i dont like a track jacket is its collar, its a permanent popped collar.

This is why I like track jackets.

(fleece, not nylon striped whatever)

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
i cant stand poped collars, i hate when people wear a pink polo, pop their collar and think their cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads