• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toyo Enterprise Thread - Modern Vintage and Reproduction of Heritage (Buzz Rickson's, Sugar Cane, Sun Surf, Whitesville, Tailor Toyo, and More)

Pulpo

Reaction score
What's the sizing like in King Louie? TTS or size up?

I don't have firsthand experience, but it looks like it depends on which side of your usual size you sit on based on these measurements. I sit at the bigger end of L so I would go for the XL here, but if you are on the smaller end for your standard choice I'd go TTS.

From Rodeo Japan:

・Tagged size S (US/EU XS-S/35-36)__Width: 19.7"__Length: 25.2"__Sleeve: 16.5"__Shoulder: 16.9"
・Tagged size M (US/EU S-M/37-38)__Width: 20.9"__Length: 26.0"__Sleeve: 17.3"__Shoulder: 18.1"
・Tagged size L (US/EU M-L/39-40)__Width: 22.0"__Length: 26.8"__Sleeve: 18.1"__Shoulder: 18.9"
・Tagged size XL (US/EU L-XL/41-42)__Width: 23.2"__Length: 27.6"__Sleeve: 18.9"__Shoulder: 19.7"

asandman

Reaction score
Reading this thread got me thinking about my Buzz Rickson's kit so I wore the chambray shirt and chinos today:

d49e3f7c65c48dbb6b73734c6d15aa911d97de49.jpg
Love those chinos. Are those the beige or khaki color?

Pulpo

Reaction score

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mother 2 sukajan from Tailor Toyo is ?

View attachment 1499648
View attachment 1499653
View attachment 1499654
View attachment 1499655

Oh ****, this is literally my favorite game and I own both the english version and all the Japanese variants.

Although it looks like it's not reversible which is kinda lame. I would get it otherwise. It does look to be the special edition that was given only staff and related people upon release of the game.

Pulpo

Reaction score
Oh ****, this is literally my favorite game and I own both the english version and all the Japanese variants.

Although it looks like it's not reversible which is kinda lame. I would get it otherwise. It does look to be the special edition that was given only staff and related people upon release of the game.

That is exactly what it is I believe! Yeah shame about the reversibility, but this is probably the greatest piece of game-related clothing AND for one of the greatest games of all time—you can't go wrong.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, it's reversible just the other side has nothing so therefore it would be 100 percent more boring on the reverse side. I'll be in Japan when it released so I'll take a look, but they should have done like a starman or Mr, Saturn or something. Although it is a repro so can't change it too much.

Pulpo

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Buzz pea coats? I was never super excited about them based on most product shots, but seeing it in action on Self Edge's Instagram makes it look much more appealing.

I have a grey Schott 740 N pea coat I really like, but it's a bit oversized and wears very warm. This looks a little more Fall vs Winter based on the thickness, curious if anyone's taken one for a spin and has any impressions.

On a side note, I feel like pea coats have really fallen by the wayside in the last 5 years. I feel like it used to be defacto outerwear this time of year, but now I don't think I've even seen one out in the wild this season. Did the style just get oversaturated, or has everyone switched to down now? Where are the melton wools of yesteryear???

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thrifted a pea coat once, and just found it overall too blocky and short for me, I like long dramatic military coats. For that reason I own an M51 and M47. It doesn’t look bad but it definitely has a pretty standard and safe look to me.

Pulpo

Reaction score
I thrifted a pea coat once, and just found it overall too blocky and short for me, I like long dramatic military coats. For that reason I own an M51 and M47. It doesn’t look bad but it definitely has a pretty standard and safe look to me.

Yeah the blockiness is def part and parcel, I feel like a fridge when I wear mine. Not a bad thing necessarily, but I have to gravitate toward heavy, chunky pants, shoes, and tops with it, anything fitted or streamlined just won't match up.

However I prefer that to the slimmer fit models, which look especially uninspiring to my eye and tend to give me H&M or GAP vibes.

I actually really like the short blockiness of pea coats from a wearability perspective. The design is so utilitarian and it's so easy to sit, stand, and maneuver it makes other longer winter jackets feel way more cumbersome—even if they do end up looking much cooler lol.

I'm also a huge sucker for the giant collars on pea coats, keeping the wind off your neck without messing up your hair with a hood is a big big benefit.

I love the look of military parkas too though, just don't have any experience with them. Are your M51 and M47 from Buzz Rickson's or are they military surplus? What do you usually wear them with?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a lot of oversized clothing too, but that’s why I prefer to flow and have some drape, I usually take my jackets off to sit down unless in public transit or in a car which I find longer coats nicer since short coats can ride up especially with how stiff pea coats can be. Although I’ll give you that, big collars are ******* boss and I have a military motorcycle dispatch coat with a huge collar too.

It’s all vintage militaría, I like that sort of crap. I generally wear my parkas pretty randomly, I feel like they look good with anything since they are oversized. Turtle necks with flannel thrown on top, some wide jeans, and some sneakers or lowtop shoes. That’s what I wore today with my m51

Pulpo

Reaction score
I wear a lot of oversized clothing too, but that’s why I prefer to flow and have some drape, I usually take my jackets off to sit down unless in public transit or in a car which I find longer coats nicer since short coats can ride up especially with how stiff pea coats can be. Although I’ll give you that, big collars are ******* boss and I have a military motorcycle dispatch coat with a huge collar too.

It’s all vintage militaría, I like that sort of crap. I generally wear my parkas pretty randomly, I feel like they look good with anything since they are oversized. Turtle necks with flannel thrown on top, some wide jeans, and some sneakers or lowtop shoes. That’s what I wore today with my m51

Ahhh love it man, the real thing. Yeah I totally get you, I just realized that since I mostly ride crowded NY public transit (or used to) I prioritize jackets I can sit down in relatively easily without taking them off or dragging through doodoo water. MA-1 is great for that. Can't count the number of times I've let a longer coat hang off of a chair and soak up a half pint of mystery fluid from a bar floor. That said, I did get a very long balmacaan for this season, so I'll be finding out if I'm warming to the style / how absorbent it is in the near future.

You know, I'm really liking the sound of the turtleneck + flannel, think I might try that for my homebound thanksgiving.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Buzz pea coats? I was never super excited about them based on most product shots, but seeing it in action on Self Edge's Instagram makes it look much more appealing.

I have a grey Schott 740 N pea coat I really like, but it's a bit oversized and wears very warm. This looks a little more Fall vs Winter based on the thickness, curious if anyone's taken one for a spin and has any impressions.

On a side note, I feel like pea coats have really fallen by the wayside in the last 5 years. I feel like it used to be defacto outerwear this time of year, but now I don't think I've even seen one out in the wild this season. Did the style just get oversaturated, or has everyone switched to down now? Where are the melton wools of yesteryear???

I own the Buzz Rickson pea coat and have worn it consistently through the winter for 4-5 years now. I love it to death.

I find it’s warm enough for northeast winters with a little layering and a scarf. For a while it was my only winter coat. Fine in the mid-late fall with just a shirt or t-shirt too.

My experience is that the BR pea coat fits slim (though not as slim as Real McCoys’s pea coat) and short compared to Schott, Sterlingwear and the like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads