• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Towel curls appreciation thread

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
For those who don't know a towel curl is an exercise done with a partner and a preacher-curl stand. You hold the towel using a neutral (hammer curllike) grip with one hand on each end, and your partner puts one hand on the lower part of the U the towel forms. Starting from the bottom, you attempt to perform a curl with the towel while your partner applies enough force downward that you are barely able to perform the upwards curl motion. Once at the top, your partner pulls down on the towel with as much force as they can manage, and you perform a negative as you resist the weight as much as you can.

Anyway, they are ******* money for destroying your entire arm. Try them.

adversity04

Reaction score
If I were trying to have large biceps just for the sake of having large biceps I'd give them a try
tounge.gif

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between having someone apply that much resistance, and lifting large weights in the same movement?

adversity04

Reaction score
It has to do with the fact that the person holding the towel can change the resistance during the movement which allows for a bigger exersion on your part. Say he starts with X lbs of resistance on the negative, but as you get more tired you can't push as much so instead of dropping the weight faster as you get tired, your buddy applies less which allows completion through the range of motion at the same rate thus increasing your total output.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This sounds like one of the grip fanatics' ideas. They are always doing everything with ropes and towels, for example wrap a towel or thick rope over your chin up bar and do pull ups that way, thread it through a plate, grip the whole thing and carry it around, etc. If you ever get bored and need to mix up your routine, one of the gripnuts' sites has hundreds of different "found item" workout ideas. There's one guy in particular who basically does all his grip workout with stuff he's got lying around in the backyard, and his forearms are monstrous.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
sup ladies, gunshow over here!
heythatisntright1.JPG
points if you know what's wrong with my arm

adversity04

Reaction score
Obviously you destroyed your arms from doing these things. Wouldn't be a case of Rhabdo would it? I'm not completely sure about the symptoms in isolated cases...but increased soreness and pain with a breakdown in the muscle membranes.....go see a doctor.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
haha don't worry, that isn't from this exercise. That's a picture from about 4 years ago when I first started Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu. I had very tender skin that wasn't used to being grabbed.
tongue.gif

adversity04

Reaction score
Well you could have said something lol. I was like 'wow **** he really did mean it killed his arms' I'm surprised I don't have marks like that from getting hit in Krav...my chest was sore for weeks

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
This sounds like one of the grip fanatics' ideas. They are always doing everything with ropes and towels, for example wrap a towel or thick rope over your chin up bar and do pull ups that way, thread it through a plate, grip the whole thing and carry it around, etc. If you ever get bored and need to mix up your routine, one of the gripnuts' sites has hundreds of different "found item" workout ideas. There's one guy in particular who basically does all his grip workout with stuff he's got lying around in the backyard, and his forearms are monstrous.

Link me?

mizanation

Reaction score
must have been gi night. were you working the arm-drag?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I think I was just rolling with some all-strength guys who tried to control position by grabbing my biceps and holding on as hard as they could.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads