1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tour of Rubinacci workshop / Cappelli atelier -- June 2011

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

In Italy, if you want a discount, just ask the merchant what price he could give you if you paid cash.

Works like this pretty much everywhere except with "proper" American businesses.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

In Italy, if you want a discount, just ask the merchant what price he could give you if you paid cash.

A lot of smaller shops only take cash to begin with. I think you can be pretty blunt about negotiating. It's expected.

3. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

The language problem should not be underestimated...

If I can't have a friendly conversation with a tailor, I won't use him...

so true.

4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Mina caters specifically to foreigners, so the thinking doesn't apply to her. As far as other tailors in Naples: well, come on, everything in southern Italy is negotiable. I would not assume the price you get on paper is what local clients are paying. I've received numerous offers from various people over the years to introduce me to their tailors in Naples in order to get a better price.

Interesting.

When arranging trip to Naples and contacting different tailors I was told at several places that price is a personal issue and should better be discussed during the meeting. Depending on different reasons, quoted price may be negotiable. In my particular case I got a good deal and received quite a good discount from the initial price.

BTW, what did Formosa and Pirozzi tell you about their prices?

this is something that always makes me uncomfortable about having items tailored - the making up of pricing on the spot that is prevalent. especially since most of the time it does not seem to work in my favor...

5. Guero

Guero Senior member

Matt, if I may call you Matt, I just read your review of the Cappelli and Rubinacci ties on your blog. Coincidentally, I purchased ties at both shops last week as well. Your review of the differences in the two was on point. I think you perfectly characterized the shopping experience as well as the differences in construction and feel. Nice job.

And I couldn't find Cappelli either, but it gave me the opportunity to stumble into Formosa, across the courtyard from Cappelli, and check out some of their wares.

6. scruff

scruff Senior member

this is something that always makes me uncomfortable about having items tailored - the making up of pricing on the spot that is prevalent. especially since most of the time it does not seem to work in my favor...

Do you get a lot of items tailored? I think that, at the end of the day, if you become a repeat customer, the overall price works itself out to be in your favor (considering discounts, items remade/altered for free, freebies thrown in, etc.). This has been my experience with both my shirtmaker and suitmaker.

7. riverrun

riverrun Senior member

Not to stir back up the arguments from earlier in this thread, but doesn't Mina use one of Rubie's old head cutters now...

8. mafoofan

Matt, if I may call you Matt, I just read your review of the Cappelli and Rubinacci ties on your blog. Coincidentally, I purchased ties at both shops last week as well. Your review of the differences in the two was on point. I think you perfectly characterized the shopping experience as well as the differences in construction and feel. Nice job.

And I couldn't find Cappelli either, but it gave me the opportunity to stumble into Formosa, across the courtyard from Cappelli, and check out some of their wares.

Glad that your experience matches mine. I am thrilled that I like Cappelli, since I love my Rubinacci ties and have not previously found an alternative. The only issue is picking out silks. Luca visits NYC pretty frequently, and will bring tie swatches upon request. Patrizio, on the other hand, obviously does not travel like that. However, his English is good so it's easy to communicate with him.

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mina always has a huge selection of Cappelli silks on her trips to NY. The turnover is extensive because Cappelli often gets little pieces that can make only a few ties.

10. mafoofan

Mina always has a huge selection of Cappelli silks on her trips to NY. The turnover is extensive because Cappelli often gets little pieces that can make only a few ties.

Ah, but whose price do you pay when you order through Mina?

11. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ah, but whose price do you pay when you order through Mina?

It's a bit more $$ than buying in Naples. At least I think it is. In Naples, I bought only already-made ties. Mina's price is for bespoke, not that I have any extraordinary requirements.

12. mafoofan

It's a bit more $$ than buying in Naples. At least I think it is. In Naples, I bought only already-made ties. Mina's price is for bespoke, not that I have any extraordinary requirements.

Got it. Maybe worthwhile for the streamlined service alone, though.

13. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I think Mina is 120 euros for the bespoke Cappelli ties. Prob more than Naples but not egregiously so.

She also has a (very) limited selection of her own wools and silks (under the NSM label) for 100 euros.

14. wiimii

wiimii Well-Known Member

15. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

Is Attolini in Naples full bespoke or MTM?

Attolini offers bespoke Naples, it's pretty similar in pricing like Rubinacci.
    A friend owns several Attolini bespoke suits that were cut by Cesare Attolini personally some years ago; pretty cool as he is over 80 now, if I remember correctly.

16. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

[​IMG]

Via Scarlatti, 69 Napoli

Via Scarlatti, 10-12 Napoli

Piazza Garibaldi, 72 Napoli

Piazza Dante, 86 Napoli

Via Tino da Camaino, 30 Napoli

Via Piscicelli, 134-136 Napoli

Piazza Arenella, 7 E Napoli

Pianura Via Campanile, 14 Napoli

The two best coffee are served here (due to the great barristas)

Via Scarlatti, 69 Napoli (near Piazza VanvitellI)

Piazza Dante, 86 Napoli

17. mafoofan

Starting an overcoat order for this winter. Military-style greatcoat. Vintage tweed, 50-60 years old, ~18 oz. More here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm excited. Only 18oz though?

19. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

that looks like what is being made up for me
    the right drawing of mariano

20. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wow, that's some cloth. What is "military-style"? Similar to a trench coat?

Is the plaid for lining?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011