Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tough to match this tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mike C., Sep 25, 2002.

1. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

While in London, my girlfriend was kind enough buy me a beautiful Gucci tie at Harrod's. The problem is that this tie is going to be really tough to match with anything i own. The tie is a monocromatic dark navy blue, with horizontal stitch, like in a rep tie. I have a nayv blue suit and a slim black suit, either of which i don't think will go with the tie. Even if I buy a charcoal suit, i doubt the tie will go even with that. Any suggestions?

2. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

3. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

A dove-gray suit would probably work, too.

That said - a navy suit and a navy tie can look pretty striking, if you're wearing a shirt with an interesting color or pattern. A solid lilac shirt, maybe, or if you're feeling more adventurous, say... purple-and-white butcher stripe, big gingham checks in french blue or red, or maybe a colored shirt with white collar and cuffs - purple, pink or yellow checks (seriously).

I doubt any of these would fly in an American business environment, of course (I'm Australian), but if you're going out for a night on the town, why not?

Cheers,

Nick.

PS. I'm new to the board. Hi, everyone.

4. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

When I'm trying to look like the other beaurocrats around me I use a tie like this with a patterned shirt and navy blazer. This is often the only way to wear my patterned shirts with out the tie clashing.

Bjorn