• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tough question on job application

onlinematt

Reaction score
The question that appears on the job app: 'how might you be different from anyone else applying for this job?'

I'm finding this incredibly difficult, esp. because of the implications of the terms 'might', 'different', and 'anyone else'.

It's not asking: 'how are you different?', it's asking: 'how might you be different?'.
It's also not asking: 'how might you be better?', it's asking: 'how might you be different?'.
And finally, it's not asking: 'how might you be different from everyone else?', it's asking: 'how might you be different from anyone else?'.

I put it to you: how would you answer this question? I don't intend to plagiarize your responses - I want to get a feel as to what is appropriate and what is creative.

The rules:
Think outside the box.
No 'I have a freckle on my left bum cheek and that makes me different' type answers.
No drab, mundane answers.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When in doubt with questions like this....I always find that is it best to lie!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"I've never been convicted of a major felony."

It might be true.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You might be the only applicant who has to turn to strangers on the internet to answer the question.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is what I hear in that question. What do you have going for you that puts you ahead of the others when it comes to working for the firm? How will you benefit the firm in a way that others won't?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what do you think will bring value to the hiring manager and his boss?

what do you do that is really outstanding? honestly, if you don't have anything outstanding, why should they hire you?

does the thing that you have that is outstanding relate to what brings value to the hiring manager and his boss?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you write, the bottom line is how your presence with benefit them. Additionally, people want to work with Jim Halpern rather than Dwight Schrute or Michael Scott. You should explain what qualities make you Jim Halpern.

onlinematt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Here is what I hear in that question. What do you have going for you that puts you ahead of the others when it comes to working for the firm? How will you benefit the firm in a way that others won't?

Originally Posted by globetrotter
what do you think will bring value to the hiring manager and his boss?

what do you do that is really outstanding? honestly, if you don't have anything outstanding, why should they hire you?

does the thing that you have that is outstanding relate to what brings value to the hiring manager and his boss?

Originally Posted by willpower
Whatever you write, the bottom line is how your presence with benefit them. Additionally, people want to work with Jim Halpern rather than Dwight Schrute or Michael Scott. You should explain what qualities make you Jim Halpern.

Great responses all round - I completely agree.

Would you try to appeal to their pocketbooks? ie. I can contribute significant value to your bottom line by ...

Or would you take a more human-based approach? ie. I am like Jim Halpern because ...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onlinematt

Would you try to appeal to their pocketbooks? ie. I can contribute significant value to your bottom line by ...

Or would you take a more human-based approach? ie. I am like Jim Halpern because ...

private sector there are two things - pocket book and comfortable for your boss and his boss to manage you

public sector, no idea

stewartu

Reaction score
At a creative design agency (architecture, product design, etc.).

This is a creativity test. Better get crackin'

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Combine the two..."At my last employer, my incredibly innovative solution to a customer request (as described in my book, "A Few of the Incredibly Creative Things I Have Done in My Career") increased annual revenue by a factor of 10."

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
It's not asking: 'how are you different?', it's asking: 'how might you be different?'.
It's also not asking: 'how might you be better?', it's asking: 'how might you be different?'.
And finally, it's not asking: 'how might you be different from everyone else?', it's asking: 'how might you be different from anyone else?'.

Don't worry about the details, I doubt that that much effort went into formulating this. I think your understanding is perfectly fine. Agree with all the good advice here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Remember, when you can't dazzle them with insight, baffle them with bullshit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads