1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

touching up wool pants, iron or steamer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mathew J, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Mathew J

Mathew J Senior member

So my iron crapped out tonight and leaked water all over the place...

Now I am deliberating between a Steamer or an Iron, the kicker is I need it by tomorrow as I am travelling on Sunday and want to get things in order.

Any suggestions on what is best to touch up wool trousers would be great, they mostly wrinkle in the crotch and the back of the legs.

Also any suggestions on readily available steamers are welcome, seems like selection in stores is limited but it is what I have to work with.

Thanks

2. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

They make steam generator irons. Get one. I have one, and I won't go back to a regular iron.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I never use the steam function on my iron. I run it dry, but spritz what I'm ironing with a spray bottle, and use a thin t-shirt as an ironing cloth.

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

^^ Yeah, me too - had dirty water leak out of the steam iron once and that was enough - I use the dry iron / spray bottle technique exclusively now.

5. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I never use the steam function on my iron. I run it dry, but spritz what I'm ironing with a spray bottle, and use a thin t-shirt as an ironing cloth.

If you don't use the steam fuction, better to buy the gravity iron with "iron shoe", then you don't need the ironing cloth for most of the time.

6. crinklecut

crinklecut Senior member

PSA: be sure to use demineralised water in your iron or you'll get mineral build-up around the steam holes.

7. Mathew J

Mathew J Senior member

Well got the iron, a Rowenta, but when I went to use it white junk blew out of the bottom getting all over a pair of my pants, I am taking it back tomorrow for another one as I am guessing it is either defective or someone used it before.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Well got the iron, a Rowenta, but when I went to use it white junk blew out of the bottom getting all over a pair of my pants, I am taking it back tomorrow for another one as I am guessing it is either defective or someone used it before.
    I've had several Rowenta irons, and I like the amount of steam and heat they produce. However, I'm on my last one, they leak too much for me.

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I never use the steam function on my iron. I run it dry, but spritz what I'm ironing with a spray bottle

Ditto-

If you are going to use water in the iron, best to use distilled water and empty after each use. Otherwise you will get the mineral deposits, crap etc eventually blowing out and staining your cloths.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

If you want to touch up woollen pants or get yourself touched up in woollen pants I can recommend a couple of toilets near the Botanical gardens in Melbourne where you are pretty certain to get touched up.

11. Mathew J

Mathew J Senior member

I've had several Rowenta irons, and I like the amount of steam and heat they produce. However, I'm on my last one, they leak too much for me.

They didn't have alot of options near me, either that or a black and decker and the latter's plate looked really poorly made.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

They didn't have alot of options near me, either that or a black and decker and the latter's plate looked really poorly made.
    Unfortunately, I haven't found a better alternative in terms of heat and steam production. Rowenta is the best in that regard, IMO. With the one I have now that is just a few months old, if I forget to empty it, then after about an hour, it leaks all over the place. [​IMG]

13. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

The Jiffy J-2000 is consistently rated as the best garment steamer.

14. pk977

pk977 Well-Known Member

15. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

I thought that was an alien robot in Doctor Who from the 80's.