1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Touching down in la

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I've managed to visit most of the major shopping spots in L.A. during my time here.  I wasn't terribly fond of Maxfield (like shopping in a museum) or KBond (like shopping in an art gallery -- where are all the clothes?) but I did like Fred Segal a lot.  The Fred Segal summer sale begins on Friday September 27.  I probably won't get back to L.A. until early the following week -- is much of the good stock going to be gone by then?

2. davei

davei Senior member

Ha, gotta love LA - up here in the north east, the summer sales are long over, but they haven't even started down there [​IMG] I vaguely remember seeing KBond featured on a home decorating TV show. IIRC, it was put together/designed by an art gallery curator, or someone affiliated with an art gallery.

3. Ambulance Chaser

I'm really interested in trying out this place, as it's within walking distance of my Westside apartment.  Two questions:

1. Can I get in without reservations on a weekday night?

2. Can I get a full meal on $35 or less? (The client is a bit tight-fisted and I don't want to submit a dinner receipt for $60.)

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

1. I have. You still might want to phone ahead.

2. Yes, if you don't go crazy with the sake. I would budget for about $40.

Enjoy.

5. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

[blows dust off thread]

I couldn't find any general LA recommendation threads on SF. Crazy.

I'm probably going out there for a long weekend in July (wife is going for work, I'm going to sit by the pool and eat bon bons). Never been west of the Mississippi. Any recs for

1. Hotels? Probably downtown--we'll be staying at the Westin downtown for a few nights, but have the flexibility to stay elsewhere for a few as well. Friends have recommended the Standard, but it looks a little poseur.

2. Culture?

3. Shopping?

4. Food?

6. Chips

Chips Senior member

Fathers Office in Santa Monica for a great beer/ burger experience. Nice environment.

I'd second the Getty, either LA or Malibu. The collections vary, and the view/architecture is the better part of the experience.

7. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Fathers Office in Santa Monica for a great beer/ burger experience. Nice environment.

I'd second the Getty, either LA or Malibu. The collections vary, and the view/architecture is the better part of the experience.

Santa Monica is a good place to stay, and Shutters is a great hotel. I second the Father's Office recommendation; although, getting a table can be a pain. You can also visit Ian's warehouse at Shop the Finest.

8. Mentos

Mentos Senior member

Whoa, I thought that the crash had wiped out all that had gone before; that this teeming metropolis of more guests than members had been built on clean land. Are there actually artifacts from the early settlers, still there for the elders who know where to look, and now to be gaped at by a later generation? Trippy.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Pete, if yer staying downtown for a few days check out:

Phillipe's french dip on Alameda

Edison bar on 2nd st (go mon-thu, avoid weekend)

Little Tokyo in general, just south of Edison

for a great burger in that area go to Blue Dahlia off Alameda/3rd.....they have a burger where the patty is stuffed with braised short rib meat that is out of the world

25 Grand bar if you like upscale whiskey

Redwood Bar (on 2nd, just 1 block north of Edison) for another bar option and surprisingly good food (for a bar)

Shopping...tons man, hit me up and I can point you in the right direction

Culture...overrated, avoid at all cost. serious.

Hotel, I've actually stayed at the Standard on sunset, yea it's "poseur" but still kinda cool hotel. The Roosevelt on Hollywood is a cool place, but unfortunately you are right on Hollywood near the Chinese Theatre and Kodak Theatre. There's a burger joint in there called 25 Degrees that is great...Roosevelt would be much better if it were in a different locale but it's a great looking hotel.

10. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

the quintessential L.A. experience?

Half a dozen lines off a hooker's ass in an infinity pool overlooking the ocean in Malibu.

In all seriousness, though, Melrose Ave is probably as close as it gets to a quintessential LA shopping experience. It's funky, unique, full of hard-to-find items, and full of personality. You can do the Beverly Hills thing and visit department stores like Barney's and Neiman, or brand stores like Zegna, Turnbull, and Brooks. But then again, you can do that pretty much anywhere. Melrose and certain parts of Hollywood are uniquely LA.

As for "touristy" destinations in LA, well, any Statue of Libertyesque tourist sites in LA are pretty grungy and somewhat disappointing. The Hollywood Walk of Fame is in a pretty sketchy part of town, replete with homeless people, mental patients in cartoon costumes, and tranny prostitutes roaming the grounds at night. It definitely helps to know someone out in LA, because the quintessential fun LA experience really involves going out and exploring the night life with someone who has a car and knows the latest hot spots.

That's another thing: depending on how long you're in town, you WILL need a car, or at least someone who has access to a car and doesn't mind schlepping you around. There is no public transportation to speak of, cabs are expensive, and the city is about as sprawled out as you can possibly get.

11. 1969

1969 Senior member

That's another thing: depending on how long you're in town, you WILL need a car.

With GPS. Program all your possible restaurants and shopping before you hit the freeway.

12. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Thanks for all the recs, guys. Keep em coming. J, I'll be in touch re: shopping.

13. Mute

Mute Senior member

If you get all the way out to Melrose, I suggest you drop in on the Duncan Quinn store even if it's just to window shop. Also stop in at Sweet Lady Jane's for some killer pastries.

14. Ambulance Chaser

I recommend staying in a hotel in West L.A. near the Beverly Center if possible. That puts you close to Melrose and about a half-hour drive from both downtown L.A. and Santa Monica.

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

1. Hotels?
    2. Culture?
    3. Shopping?
    4. Food?

For hotels I like the Chamberlain in West Hollywood and Viceroy in Santa Monica. I kinda like the Standard if you need to stay downtown. I think it's pretty reasonable, too. The roof-top bar can be sceney but the view is nice esp. at night. For arty things, Getty Malibu is really neat if you're into antiquities. The new addition at LACMA is nice too. Lots of galleries along Wilshire near LACMA. Dont; forget Amoeba Records if you're in Hollywood.

Lots of great food all over. Just depends what you like and what neighborhood you're in. Father's Office is great for Westside beers/burgers and sweet potato fries. The Counter has a good burger too. I like Axe (Californian) and Shima (sushi) on Abbot Kinney in Venice for low-key nice dinners. You can check out the Stronghold denim place and Steven Alan while your at it. There's also an Intelligentsia Coffee opening there. Oh yea, Shop The Finest too.

16. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Pete, you would def dig Mister Freedom on beverly, it's the home base for that line and it's also a huge ass vintage store that specializes in military and workwear.