• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tote bag - any thoughts on this

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I like the looks of it but at that price you should be able to get something that your heirs will fight over when you are gone.
+1. Ferragamo at full retail is very overpriced, even amongst the already overpriced "designer brand" market. Even compared to Prada or LV, which would be in a similar price range, Ferragamo's hardware/zippers, lining, even the leathers used, are not exactly what you'd expect for $2300. In any case, it's a good looking bag, so if the money isn't particularly an issue, go for it. I have/have had many ferragamo bags and enjoy them, for what they are.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Save your money and get this. It'll last about ten times longer too.
Could that bag work as a laptop/work bag? My dream bag is the Apolis+Activism bag, but me thinks that's out of my price range.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw that tote at Bloomingdales, it's lovely.

With bags, don't listen to anyone else, if you like it, you like it.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
I just saw that tote at Bloomingdales, it's lovely.

With bags, don't listen to anyone else, if you like it, you like it.

Not true. It's an accessory, like a tie. You will get judged on it, especially if you use it for business. With suits, there's an excuse for looking baggy/sloppy since not too many people know what a good suit is. With bags your tastes are painfully obvious. Personally, I think the bag in question looks classic, if a bit feminine. I do agree that there are better bags for your money in that range, but if you can afford it and want it, by all means go ahead.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I just picked up this London Fog tote It's certainly not a prestige brand but I really like the pattern and design of it, very individualistic. And to be totally honest, with the amount of money and time I spend on clothes, tailoring, and putting things together, the last thing I need is to be carrying around a $500+ bag. I'll look like a pretentious asshole. The whole package winds up being an overload.
206346998.jpg

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Ferragamo is a hot bag.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn
I just picked up this London Fog tote It's certainly not a prestige brand but I really like the pattern and design of it, very individualistic. And to be totally honest, with the amount of money and time I spend on clothes, tailoring, and putting things together, the last thing I need is to be carrying around a $500+ bag. I'll look like a pretentious asshole. The whole package winds up being an overload.
206346998.jpg

Nice bag. How much was it and where to buy?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
function/quality notwithstanding, Filson Passage is damn ugly

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Nice bag. How much was it and where to buy?
I picked mine up at Carson's (Bergners) for $50. The thing is nice and roomy on the inside. I commute to work so I need to take my dress shoes, lunch, book, etc. A messenger bag winds up being totally overloaded and the shoulder strap won't work with a jacket. I'm extremely pleased with this bag. I can carry everything easily and stylishly. Or order online: http://www.amazon.com/London-Fog-Wem.../dp/B001OC6HSC More pictures here: http://www.buy.com/prod/london-fog-w...206346998.html

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it polyester? Amazon says it is. Would be great if it's houndstooth fabric.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn
This really doesn't make any sense. I don't think you need a $4000 Valextra, but I'm sometimes surprised at the extent to which men here who obsess over their shoes and suits will leave their cologne/fragrance and their accessories/bags completely out of the picture, or skimp on them thinking it is a good idea. If I said, "I'm matching my Sartoria Partenopea with these plastic Hush Puppie loafers," there would be widespread condemnation. Doing the same thing with a Hush Puppy of a bag, though, gets a "good idea!" from members. I don't get it. That bag above is not particularly attractive to me; the fabric looks cheap and the rolled handles look plastic. The papery nylon lining and the cheap hardware will not age well. As well, the size/function of it appear to be more small duffle than tote. I'm not saying you have to go and spend your kid's college savings on a bag, but at least a tenth of the care you give to your suits should be spent on the accessories you carry. Quite frankly, most people will notice the bag you carry well before they notice the handstitching on your lapels.

Baby Pink

Reaction score
yes, lovely bag, but the price point is a big barrier to me purchasing it

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Here is another site with the same bag and a pic of the inside. http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...3*1*24*-1*-1*5 As I said before, I really feel like this isn't a $2300 bag. The hardware here, too, (which appears to be rather cheapy YKK) and the synthetic/fabric lining, along with the leather itself... just aren't doing it for me at that price. If the bag were marked $800, I'd consider it. Three times that, though? I want something unbelievably amazing.

Baby Pink

Reaction score
yeah, thanks for the link. i will inspect the inside lining and finishing more closely when i pop back into the shop tomorrow as it's right next to my office.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baby Pink
yeah, thanks for the link. i will inspect the inside lining and finishing more closely when i pop back into the shop tomorrow as it's right next to my office.
If you can, check the underside of the zipper heads and the feel/weight of them; for that price, they should use RIRI, Lampo, or other type top-end zippers. All of my Ferragamo bags, though, have rather lightweight, cheapy YKK.
frown.gif
As well, I would have hoped for a full leather, suede, or at least sturdy canvas lining... it looks (from the link) like some kind of poly/cotton or bembergish sort of blend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads