1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tortoise Shell

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by pejsek, Aug 3, 2006.

1. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

Just curious if anybody knows anything about tortoise shell. Today at the thrift store I bought what appears to be an art-deco style tortoise shell veneer mirror. The frame is about 2.5' X 3.5' with a 6" border made up of two rows of 3" squares. The shell is hard and cool to the touch and does not appear to be synthetic. But what do I know. From searching the web just a bit it appears trade in genuine tortoise shell items is banned unless they can be shown to be more than 100 years old. So I guess I may have to put it in the contraband pile, right next to the bespoke sea turtle McAfees.
    It's kind of nice in an old French Colonial way, would pair nicely with a shagreen umbrella stand.

2. Violinist

Violinist Distinguished Member

Just curious if anybody knows anything about tortoise shell. Today at the thrift store I bought what appears to be an art-deco style tortoise shell veneer mirror. The frame is about 2.5' X 3.5' with a 6" border made up of two rows of 3" squares. The shell is hard and cool to the touch and does not appear to be synthetic. But what do I know. From searching the web just a bit it appears trade in genuine tortoise shell items is banned unless they can be shown to be more than 100 years old. So I guess I may have to put it in the contraband pile, right next to the bespoke sea turtle McAfees.
    It's kind of nice in an old French Colonial way, would pair nicely with a shagreen umbrella stand.

Tortoise shell is a bit tricky. Firstly, if it's sort of old, it will get "cloudy", and not have the beautiful transparency of a newly carved piece. I've got a violin bow with a tortoise shell frog, (and I've had one with an ivory frog too)... they can be a big hassle if you travel internationally. If you can verify that it's authentic, then buy it. Police aren't going to come to your house and reprimand you for having that.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

Those are silly rules.

Tortoise shell is very lovely.

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Those are silly rules.

Tortoise shell is very lovely.

Perhaps you need a tortoiseshell cuillere de gavage for your home foie gras kit?

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

Perhaps you need a tortoiseshell cuillere de gavage for your home foie gras kit?
    Please, my tortoise shell is reserved for my dainty but very ornate etui kit.

6. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

This one says RJ... [​IMG] Silver gilt fittings, London 1916. Length: 20 cm

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

This one says RJ...
    Silver gilt fittings, London 1916. Length: 20 cm

Whew, 11 more years until I can buy it then...[​IMG]

8. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Distinguished Member

I love tortoise shell, movie star sunglasses, on women.