• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

toronto

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
one day in toronto with my family in June. we are from chicago, so I want to avoid anything that we could, potentially, do in chicago better. 8 year old, twin 3 year olds. we like art, we pretty much never pay to see live sports.

any and all suggestions are welcome!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's the Royal Ontario Museum. I'm sure you have museums in chicago but they're all different. Canada's Wonderland? there's a big zoo that's not far. I dunno... All big cities are kinda the same in a lot of ways. Your 8 year old would probably love the restaurant in the CN tower, but with 2 3 year olds you probably don't want to bring them to a relatively fancy restaurant.

Qubaduck

Reaction score
Science Centre was always fun when I was a kid.

doink

Reaction score
I have not been in years, but centre island may be a spot to go for theme park fun.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Qubaduck
Science Centre was always fun when I was a kid.

Originally Posted by doink
I have not been in years, but centre island may be a spot to go for theme park fun.

Both are good. I enjoyed them when I was a kid.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's always hard to recommend specific highlights in Toronto because the city is more about the vibe and the neighbourhoods. It takes a while to get a feel for the place.

If you're into art and architecture, check out the Art Gallery of Ontario. It was recently renovated by Frank Gehry and was beautifully done. The gallery has an excellent collection of Canadian art--there's lots of Group of Seven. Thomson's model ship collection downstairs is pretty cool, too, and something the kids may enjoy.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for art, there's also the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art (MOCCA).

Also, you might be interested in checking out the northern part of Bathurst St and Thorn Hill (north of Toronto). A lot of Israeli expats live there, so you may find food you haven't had in a while
smile.gif

juvefan

Reaction score
this weekend, as part of Open Doors Toronto, i got to see the museum of inuit art. i have to say was quite inspiring, even though it was tiny, for a museum. also, right of the waterfront touristy area

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably suggest a walking trip, starting from Yonge and Bloor, heading west through Yorkville, south at Avenue (past the ROM, you can stop by if you wish), passing through the University of Toronto Campus, down to Queen Street, and then heading West. You'll pass Much Music, the youngsters of the city, you'll be able to choose whether to hang North on Spadina to catch China Town (and Kensington Market) or continue West to see the new gentrified Queen West. You could also plan to catch a symphony in the area at the TSO if you're into that. Lots of small kitchy art galleries along the way, plus nice coffee shops, etc.

You won't get a flavour of Toronto if you plan to visit an institution or a theme park. Walk it, eat, and walk some more!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, there's truth to that. Walking is much better if you have the time, but toronto is big. I walked from the Royal Conservatory, down to spadina, and then down to chinatown and kensington, and then down dundas back to the st.patrick subway the other day. LONG walk, and I don't think anyone is gonna want to do that with kids.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good ideas, thanks - please keep them coming

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe nobody's mentioned the Hockey Hall of Fame. Is this still Canada?
wink.gif
Edit: I wouldn't recommend Centre Island for your particular scenario, the reason being that while the island is nice and all, it can take a while to get there (depending on how many people have the same idea) and once you're on it, you're kinda trapped until you can fit on the next ferry. So you'll end up spending several ours 'on' the island, a significant part of which will be travelling/standing in line. There are a few kid-friendly attractions close to the ferry, but if you want to explore the island, there will be a lot of walking. Now, if you had a few more days to spend, that would be entirely different.

wetnose

Reaction score
For something different, go out of the city: there's a cute little town called Niagara on the Lake just 2 hours away, and on the way there are berry/cherry picking farms. Also fresh apples off the tree - can't beat that. Oh yeah, and there's a tourist attraction called Niagara Falls too.

And I'm sure you can't get this in Chicago: world class icewine wineries - free samples, anyone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics