• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto tailor...

trogdor

Reaction score
Having been an avid reader of this forum for a couple of months now, I can no longer tolerate the ill-fitting garments I have in my wardrobe.

My budget is best suited to thrift store finds (of which I have had a few gems), so I'm prepared to spend a few extra bucks to get a few things adjusted; I need some jacket sleeve length alterations in particular, but some other nips & tucks would help too.

Can anyone recommend a tailor in the Toronto area who can be relied upon? One who won't sneer at my low-budget acquisitions (a la Holt Renfrew) would be particularly desirable...

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you considered trying to find fashion design students at your local university? Dirt cheap labor, and I'm sure they won't scoff at you. That's what I'm doing. Just handed over my first piece (vintage Penguin polo) and am awaiting results.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy cow, Trogdor; low-budget acquisitions from Holt Renfrew?  You're kidding, right?  Holt's and Harry Rosen are the two best menswear stores in Canada.  So...my suggestion would be to drop in on both in Toronto and ask them to recommend a tailor--perhaps one of the ones they use.  If you're really friendly (and maybe buy something--cheap, like a pocket square or two), they will probably give you a couple of names.  Good luck.

PHV

Reaction score
Holy cow, Trogdor; low-budget acquisitions from Holt Renfrew?  You're kidding, right?  Holt's and Harry Rosen are the two best menswear stores in Canada.  So...my suggestion would be to drop in on both in Toronto and ask them to recommend a tailor--perhaps one of the ones they use.  If you're really friendly (and maybe buy something--cheap, like a pocket square or two), they will probably give you a couple of names.  Good luck.
If you think Holt is one of the best menswhere stores in Canada, then you probably need to look around a bit more.

Even little Montreal has tons better than Holt. Go down Peel and you can easily avoid their pricey "euro trash".

fkl118

Reaction score
Holy cow, Trogdor; low-budget acquisitions from Holt Renfrew?  You're kidding, right?  
I think he meant taking his low-budget clothes to the tailor at Holt-Renfrew will result in sneers.

Anyways, I think someone previously recommended Paul's Tailors on Bathurst, though I've never used them before. I usually take my clothes to a Chinese seamstress who has become familiar with my preferences. For leather alterations I've had good experiences with Marta's Alterations near Leslie and Sheppard.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, PHV.  Have you been to Vancouver?  The Holt's here carries all the top-end lines--has its own Armani, Zegna, Canali, Boss, Hermes, Dolce & Gabbana, Prada, and many other boutiques--including lines I haven't seen in Harry Rosen, like Duchamps shirts, and a great selection of Charvet ties.  They have all the top-line Italian shoes too, falling short, however, of Santoni and Lattanzi.  I realize we are interested in Toronto in this thread, but in Vancouver, there are NO better menswear stores than Holt's and Harry Rosen, unless you are interested in edgy, kid's stuff.  So there's no point in "looking around," as you suggest, at least in Vancouver.  Maybe your idea of "good," however, differs from mine; perhaps you consider Zegna, Canali, Armani, Charvet, Hermes, etc., "euro trash".  I don't.  Just wanted to clarify; don't know the Toronto scene, but a trip to either Holt's or Harry Rosen could turn up the name of a tailor or two for Trogdor--that was my point.

trogdor

Reaction score
I think he meant taking his low-budget clothes to the tailor at Holt-Renfrew will result in sneers.
Yes -- that's what I meant. Sorry for not being clearer. In fact, one gets sneers from the staff at Holt Renfrew even if you buy something from them. God forbid you want their help with anything. (This is the Bloor St. store I'm talking about. HR Last Call and the HR in the Yorkdale mall are blessed with much friendlier staff). Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I've had Paul's on Bathurst recommended before, so maybe I'll give them a try. I was also thinking of asking the folks at Stollery's for advice. (Now there's a store that does good customer service). Has anyone used Davenport Custom Tailors? They were recommended to me by the people at Tom's Place... Any more suggestions -- keep 'em coming.

Sammyman

Reaction score
I've had really good luck with the service at the Eaton Centre Harry Rosen. Everyone there seems exceptionally helpfull. Perhaps give them a try.

MaxTO

Reaction score
For the last few years, I've been using Parkway Clothing. So far, I've been very satisfied with his services (George), and I always try to get all of my alterations (even minor ones) done there. Parkway Clothing I really dislike the tailor at Harry Rosen at the Yorkdale location. So far, he's messed up two simple jobs (hemming the pants). I've had alterations done at the Harry Rosen on Bloor, although better than at Yorkdale, it still seemed like a rushed job.

gj555

Reaction score
... I was also thinking of asking the folks at Stollery's for advice. (Now  there's a store that does good customer service). Has anyone used Davenport Custom Tailors? They were recommended to me by the people at Tom's Place... Any more suggestions -- keep 'em coming.
Actually, I think the people at Stollery's are over bearing. They have never let me look at anything myself. This effectively prevents browsing the store on your own. I was once told that they work purely on commission so someone is with you the whole time. Don't know if this is true. With respect to Davenport Custom Tailors, they did a good job on a pair of pants but charged me a lot of money. I have had good results at a Stychin Tyme (or something like that) on Yonge street, north of Eglington (Yonge & Castlefield). I used them for many years until I moved out of the area. excellent work but not cheap.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like stuff at Holt more than Harry. Harry tends to carry more traditional looking stuff. But Holt does not carry Zegna XXX, Brioni, and Kiton. Either way, I feel everything is over priced at both stores.

Now on to tailors. Whenever I take my stuff to Holt or Harry for alterations, sales person try to dictate how my clothes should fit. Also, tailors simply won't listen to you. .. This really drives me insane.

I now bring all my stuff to place called Classic Fit at Square One mall in Miss. It's a B.tch to get there from downtown, but, the master seamtress is honest at least. She will give you her opinion WHEN you want them. But she will do whatever you ask for. Their workmanship is pretty good too. I did many alterations involving shoulders and chest on my suits, turned out to be just fine.

I visited a bespoke shop called Trend Tailor on Spadina and I recalled that they can also do alterations.

Ed13

Reaction score
I'll throw in another vote for Paul's Alterations on Bathurst. I have been using them for 5 years and have been very happy.

Kittykitty

Reaction score
Hi. I recommend As You Like it designer and tailor. The design high end clothing, and they are the only one I trust with my boyfriend's suits. He has a Isaia and a Canali that I had tailored for him there and I've never looked back. hope this helps. also, I take my couture dresses (women's clothing) there too -the only place I trust with dresses ranging from in the thousands. There is a woman named Julia there who does exceptional work. CheerS!

startac_fan

Reaction score
Davenport Custom Tailors...agree they do a good job but pricey. Not all Chinese seamstresses are excellent but the ones who work there are. Flawless job on alterations, indistinguishable from original manufacture unless you look close. That guy who seems to run the place just collects the money from you.

scypticalchymist

Reaction score
I agree on the previous comment about Stollery's being overbearing. I went in to buy a navy tie and the guy couldn't find one and preceded to follow me around the store and suggest pastel pinks and greens. Very annoying.

As for a tailor, I went to Studio Kim (King and Bathurst) after reading some recommendations on here and I was very happy with her work (waist suppression on a jacket and taking some bulk out of trousers). Her prices are also very reasonable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads