• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto Suit Deals

TheBoss

Reaction score
So in Toronto are we limited to Renfew Last Call and the Harry Rosen outlet or are there other gems I'm missing?

Nothing too high end but Boss, maybe even low-end Armandi/Zenga would be great.

gj555

Reaction score
The holts outlet is hit or miss, mostly miss. Most of what they sell is Strellson. I once had a strellson and the jacket bubbled after 1 year. Not very good stuff (though others may disagree).

People on this board are big fans of Made in Italy on Dufferin just north of finch. I was there yesterday and they had a few nice Pal Zileri suits and some Corneliani's but I was not there to buy suits and none really nice ones in my size. The other other brands they had were nice but with fused construction.

The Bay in Queen street and the one on Bloor both sell Samuelsohn often at 30% off. Much better crafted suit than Boss or Armani.

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
I have a Strellson winter coat that I bought at Holt in Montreal that I like.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might want to try Off the Cuff, it's a men's designer brand "resale" store (basically it's a thrift store that carries higher end stuff). I've seen everything from Jil Sander and Brioni to Versace there. Prices aren't shockingly low but you don't have to wade through a lot of crap like a traditional thrift store. It's on Yonge and Broadway (halfway between Lawrence and Eglinton).

A.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At Steeles and Weston Rd., Mondo Uomo carries Zegna (mostly Z but some EZ), lots of Boss, Pal Zileri, some D&G and other fashion stuff.

I was at Holts LC last week and bought a beautiful pair of grey flannel trousers by Baldessarini for $150. They also had some nice sportcoats by Canali ($599) and Isaia ($1,099) in addition to the usual Boss and Strellson.

I've never like Harry Rosen's outlet. I LOVE made in Italy and have bought great Corneliani suits and Borrelli shirts for ridiculous prices but they have very little of it left now; mostly Pal Zileri, GF Ferre, Cerrutti...

The Bay (Queen or Bloor) is the best place for Samuelsohn (and Hugo Boss too) on sale.

That's about it. Of course, you always have eBay and the Buying and Selling forum
smile.gif

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
They also had some nice sportcoats by Canali ($599) and Isaia ($1,099) in addition to the usual Boss and Strellson.

EL,
While those are sale prices, they would hardly qualify as a steal or clearence. These prices are not equivalent to the US discounters where you can often find stuff 60-80% off. This is my biggest problem with Last Call and Harry's outlet - they offer sale prices while I am looking for steals.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
EL,
While those are sale prices, they would hardly qualify as a steal or clearence. These prices are not equivalent to the US discounters where you can often find stuff 60-80% off. This is my biggest problem with Last Call and Harry's outlet - they offer sale prices while I am looking for steals.

I agree of course, which is why I didn't buy any of those coats. To be fair, they had some amazing deals with 80-90% off at the old location where I have bought really nice stuff at pennies on the dollar. Since they've opened in Vaughn Mills, the men's stuff has not been discounted much. I can undertstand though as they have very little competition. There is a rack of 50% stuff but it's either old or ugly (although there were a few summer pants by Etro and others that were nice). Leathers were also marked down a further 40% I think.

For real steals, it's hard to beat eBay or some sellers on the forum.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I agree of course, which is why I didn't buy any of those coats. To be fair, they had some amazing deals with 80-90% off at the old location where I have bought really nice stuff at pennies on the dollar. Since they've opened in Vaughn Mills, the men's stuff has not been discounted much. I can undertstand though as they have very little competition. There is a rack of 50% stuff but it's either old or ugly (although there were a few summer pants by Etro and others that were nice). Leathers were also marked down a further 40% I think.

For real steals, it's hard to beat eBay or some sellers on the forum.

Agreed.

But for bricks and mortar, the clearance of off-season at the Bay is hard to beat. Sammy, Arnold Brant, Boss, Jack Victor and some other brands (including an all-canvass brand that slips my mind) all at 50% off the already reduced 50% off price.

A lot of MTM tailors in Toronto also offer really good value.

TheBoss

Reaction score
Really.. when does Bay do their clearance? I'll be sure to buy a few suits.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheBoss
Really.. when does Bay do their clearance? I'll be sure to buy a few suits.

Usually by the end of August whatever is left is cleared. I would presume the end of march would be another time where they clear.

The bay on Queen may still have some stuff (they did last week). The better suits on sale will be located in what is called the West End Shop within the Bay.

TheBoss

Reaction score
awesome. how about christmas/boxing day?

I think I'll allocate to spend about 2 grand
smile.gif

Verso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
A lot of MTM tailors in Toronto also offer really good value.
Any recommendations?

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
You might want to try Off the Cuff, it's a men's designer brand "resale" store (basically it's a thrift store that carries higher end stuff). I've seen everything from Jil Sander and Brioni to Versace there. Prices aren't shockingly low but you don't have to wade through a lot of crap like a traditional thrift store. It's on Yonge and Broadway (halfway between Lawrence and Eglinton).

A.

I don't want to seem too patronizing, but Off the Cuff is definitely NOT a thrift store. I believe it works on consignment, but not sure how much it takes off the top... It is resale though, and the condition and selection is not bad if you're average build - I'm a 36, so there was little there for me the one time I went.

As for price, its not cheap at all - I saw a Brooks Bros. broadcloth shirt (80s I think) in my size for $50 - outrageous! Suits start at $250 IIRC for fused but decent Italian, go up to past $800 for half-canvassed Italian... you might be able to find something nice, but for the money you're better off gambling on EBay or something similar online and returning if you're not happy, IMO. Some of the other casual stuff might be a better value.

Lee, the proprietor (owner? employee?) was patient though. He also offered me 10% off my purchase (coupon) when he saw I was vacillating because of the prices. It's probably worth asking him for a first-time shopper coupon too if you're there.

Too bad the ExToggery on Merton St. just south of Davisville Subway closed, it sometimes had nice stuff. Thrifting in TO. is pretty bad, as I'm lazy to hit up the Goodwills and Salvation Armies... or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places?

Oh, also, Broadway is just a few blocks north of Eglinton, not halfway to Lawrence. Halfway to Lawrence on the west side is the Australian Boot Co. where I tried on my RM Williams Craftsman last year!

Cheers.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Verso
Any recommendations?

Sorry did not see your post until now. I am in a rush but will post a detailed repsonse later.

gj555

Reaction score
List of MTM tailors in Toronto offering good value (especially if you don't fit into RTW):

Here is a list of tailors whose work I am familiar with. None of these tailors create true bespoke suits (i.e. create a personalized paper pattern, etc.) and some of them are better than others. But for $650-$1000, you can't expect high-end. Why do I have my suits made by local tailors? I like to support local small businesses and also find that pants with RTW suits never fit me well.

Louis Custom Tailor (Located in an indoor plaza on Cumberland Street between Yonge and Bay) - In stock cloths results in a very affordable suit in the $750-$1000 range. Has some high end books if you want to spend. Standard style is a little full in the chest. Outsources the pants and the finishing (e.g. lining, button holes, etc) of the jacket.

Spiros (located on the Danforth) - In stock cloth is affordable. Has higher end books. Does some work for other tailors (including the aforementioned Louis).

Thornhill Tailors (located on Yonge near centre) - Offers a very basic suit for $650-$1000. Won't include working button holes or hand pic stitching unless requested (though does not charge extra for them). I did not realise when I ordered my suit from him that he fuses the bottom part of the suit (starting below the second button on a 3 button suit). I presume he will make an all canvass suit for an extra charge. Pants fit really well. Inexpensive cloth selection is pretty good but not high end. Outsources pants and possibly even the entire jacket to other tailors.

Raji's Custom Tailors (located on Keele near York University) - Offers different levels of construction. From mostly fused to all canvas with hand sewn button holes. Makes sure you ask for all the high end features you are looking for. Cloth comes from Montreal based importer British Woolens. He and his staff make jackets and pants in his shop. Makes pants for other tailors. Makes suits for downtown high end men's stores that offer "custom suits". He made my most recent suit. From what I learned making my first suit from him, I think the second will be better. Here is a link to a recent posting I made on this suit (as Lawgman at AAAC): http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...hlight=toronto

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads