• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto Shoe News: Lobb's Landed

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was out for a stroll in Yorkville today and stopped by Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew.

Rosen has completed their renovations, adding an extra floor or two. MTM and Bespoke now reside on the top floor. Their shoe department is still a disaster area. Allen Edmonds and Faragamos are the best they can do, and they do much worse.

Holt Renfrew has stopped carrying Barker Black. They've brought in Lobb for the Spring. Not much of a selection though: two mainline models and two prestige models. Mainelines are $1200cad ($933us) and prestiges are $1800cad ($1400us). No idea where this resides on the value scale.

I don't own any Lobbs, but it's nice to see some high-quality, English-made shoes finally available in Toronto.

They only carry them in Toronto and Vancouver. Lobbs (and Edward Greens) have been available in Montreal for a long time at L'Uomo.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
I was out for a stroll in Yorkville today and stopped by Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew.

Rosen has completed their renovations, adding an extra floor or two. MTM and Bespoke now reside on the top floor. Their shoe department is still a disaster area. Allen Edmonds and Faragamos are the best they can do, and they do much worse.

Holt Renfrew has stopped carrying Barker Black. They've brought in Lobb for the Spring. Not much of a selection though: two mainline models and two prestige models. Mainelines are $1200cad ($933us) and prestiges are $1800cad ($1400us). No idea where this resides on the value scale.

I don't own any Lobbs, but it's nice to see some high-quality, English-made shoes finally available in Toronto.

They only carry them in Toronto and Vancouver. Lobbs (and Edward Greens) have been available in Montreal for a long time at L'Uomo.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll head down there this weekend or next to check out the new store + stock on Harry and Holts although prices there are no where as cheap as online orders in the US
frown.gif

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to see them for sale in Toronto finally. But still way too much to pay for them considering what I can shoot across the border and get them for.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Nice to see them for sale in Toronto finally. But still way too much to pay for them considering what I can shoot across the border and get them for.

What do these cost across the border? Does the price include taxes? Duty? gas?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I've never had the pleasure of purchasing a pair of Lobbs before, but if I did I'd venture a guess that they are about 15-25% cheaper in the USA.

For me the gas and travel really isn't an issue because I visit family in Windsor frequently and we always go to Detroit when I'm down for shopping. I don't think there is anyplace in Buffalo that sells Lobbs so for someone from Toronto it may not be worth it for the 4 hour drive to Detroit, and even then, I don't think Lobbs are stocked, you'd have to order them. Also, the tax in Michigan is 6% as opposed to 13% in Ontario. With the dollar being at 23% right now though it might just even out anyway.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll list a few of the shoes that might be of interest to this crowd available at Holt Renfrew Last Call Vaughn Mills (all new and all relatively cheap);

-Ralph Lauren Rivington (brown - only 7.5 in this shoe but I supect there were alot more at one point)
-Ferragamo loafers and laceups
-Church's cordovans
-Ralph Lauren suede Oxfords and drivers
-Paul Smith Starrs, brown lerather Starrs, suede Cages, suede loafers, and some floral print Cage.
-some Canali

Alot of other stuff.

Prices tend to be anywhere between $100 to $200-$300 CAD.

The only thing that stops me from making more personal purchases is the fact that Holt's seems to have an affinity for pointier shoes (like the Ferragamos which I tried on in a 12EE) and don't always fit my toe area. Otherwise, there's some great stuff there (and the Ferragmao's are a beautiful brown leather wingtip)

Was there on Monday - the girl told me that a new promotional will be forthcoming soon. I'll be going back in about a week.

They're clothing sucks.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Unfortunately I've never had the pleasure of purchasing a pair of Lobbs before, but if I did I'd venture a guess that they are about 15-25% cheaper in the USA.

I've never bought them either. My best shoes are Crockett Handgrades, Grenson Masterpieces, and some Vasses. I'm gonna skip the Edward Green, John Lobb, G&G ready-to-wear altogether and head straight for bespoke. I have irregular feet, and I'm hard to fit ready-to-wear.

The exchange rate with the US, though normal, puts me off shopping there when I think of the brief time last year when a Canadian dollar was worth $1.10us. But with the British Pound now low against the Canadian dollar, some Cleverleys look mighty tempting.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Not sure about this particular timing to bring in Lobbs, but as you mentioned, it's nice to see some high end English shoes finally making their way to Toronto and Vancouver.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
I'll list a few of the shoes that might be of interest to this crowd available at Holt Renfrew Last Call Vaughn Mills (all new and all relatively cheap);

-Ralph Lauren Rivington (brown - only 7.5 in this shoe but I supect there were alot more at one point)
-Church's cordovans
-Paul Smith Starrs, brown lerather Starrs, suede Cages, suede loafers, and some floral print Cage.
-some Canali

Alot of other stuff.

The only thing that stops me from making more personal purchases is the fact that Holt's seems to have an affinity for pointier shoes (like the Ferragamos which I tried on in a 12EE) and don't always fit my toe area. Otherwise, there's some great stuff there (and the Ferragmao's are a beautiful brown leather wingtip)

Was there on Monday - the girl told me that a new promotional will be forthcoming soon. I'll be going back in about a week.

They're clothing sucks.

I found the Ralph Lauren's at HR from Italy tend to be at least 1/2 size smaller than norm.

GucciKid

Reaction score

-Church's cordovans
-some Canali

Alot of other stuff.

They're clothing sucks.

Do they have the Starrs in a number of sizes?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
What do these cost across the border? Does the price include taxes? Duty? gas?

Duty?
lol8[1].gif

GucciKid

Reaction score

-Church's cordovans
-some Canali

Alot of other stuff.

They're clothing sucks.

Went up there today and the stuff they had was a lot nicer than the first time I went. Still more expensive than B & S or ebay though, as is to be expected.

Of note

-some nice Canali sportcoats with elbow patches (forget the price)
-RLPL DB suits for around 700 in various sizes
-Polo made in Italy cords for 120

Nothing mindblowing but maybe worth a trip out there. Their shoe selection sucks, however.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's good news for JL at Holts, not that I'll be buying any there soon. Perhaps they will make their way to the last call outlet by next season... Speaking of which, I was told they are opening another Holts Last Call in Calgary.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GucciKid
-some nice Canali sportcoats with elbow patches (forget the price).

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads