Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Toronto restaurant recommendation

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Dec 18, 2008.

1. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Sushi on Bloor is an over-hyped shithole. Poor service, dirty establishment, and hardly the best ingredients. If one does not care about these facts, then yes - SoB may represent "good value."

It may have changed recently since I haven't been there in a while but I have eaten there (including takeout) at least 200 times between 2000-2005 and while it's not a fine dining establishment, the fish was always fresh, the portions nice, the service fine for that category of restaurant (the owner Ben would always send over a plate of ikayaki or something else on the house), never noticed it any dirtier than other places.

2. Petko

Petko Active Member

I feel that Sushi on Bloor is the McDonalds of the Toronto sushi scene; that is, the food is cheap and the portions are excellent. The quality is mediocre at best, but still a step above your average sushi establishment in Toronto (which is, unfortunately, not a very difficult feat). Taste, as far as most of the maki is concerned, is not bad relative to what you're paying. I know I used to enjoy the spider rolls here when I was in university. However, my problem is that you're not ordering minced meat at a sushi joint. While you can expect most fast-food places (or even restaurants, for that matter) to take certain liberties when it comes to cleanliness, they're at least cooking the food. Raw fish, on the other hand, whether served as sushi or sashimi, is something that I believe one should expect nothing less than impeccable freshness and cleanliness. @Redwoood, one can usually expect to pay roughly $30-40 for dinner at Japango, excluding alcohol and gratuities. Your basic order of sushi rolls (x4 pieces) or sashimi (x3 pieces) will run between $8-12, with items such as toro and uni commanding higher prices, of course. It's a very small establishment, so be warned. Some may feel cramped as it's usually pretty buzzing, but I think it adds to the ambiance. Plus, I find it great being able to engage the chef regarding the day's freshest ingredients directly from my table. Omakase is pretty expensive here for what you get. I would much rather dish out a bit extra dough to dine at Kaji.

3. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

The portions at Japango are smaller too.

I'd say 1/4 of the giant rolls that the cheaper places peddle.

I made the trek up to Spring Villa, 7301 Woodbine in Markham - 9 course banquet for 20 family and close friends. Food was okay - not too special but great shark fin soup and presentation. We did BYOB - they ran out of wine glasses and it was almost bring your own service too for the refills. But the place was fairly clean and they fenced it off well enough that it was pretty quiet as well. $1,080 + tip.

So with that, the strip clubs and the overpriced sports outings, I'm going to be broke now.

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

What are some recs for dates that won't cost a fortune? Both restaurants and places to get a drink or whatever that aren't too fussy, but are interesting and have some character, or maybe a nice view/patio/etc.

5. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Alright, went to Japango yesterday.
    I have to admit the fish was very fresh and tasty. They don't put too much wasabi in their sushi either, which I appreciate (unlike other seemingly authentic sushi places like Toshi).
    I had never had seared Tai before, which was a welcome surprise.

I spent $60 for two without drinks. Both of us were hungry afterwards (I ate slightly more than my gf). Admittedly, we did have the Aji and the Blue fin Toro, which drove up the price/sushi ratio, but I wish their rolls, at least, were larger.
    So, in summary, I enjoyed the food very much, but I wish I a) was in a higher income bracket or b) didn't eat about 3000 cal a day, so I could get a decently-sized meal. As they say, you can never be too rich or too thin...

6. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Went to Acko for lunch at First Canadian Place. I had a tight meeting schedule. This place is really going downhill. The menus look absolutely decrepit - food and drink stains everywhere. I touched with the edge of my finger and feel like I'm contaminating my computer now.

Service was pretty slow although the presentation was decent. Fish wasn't that great. Maybe I should have queued up to go to Japango [​IMG]

$30 + tip - no drinks (couldn't stand the wait).

7. bBoy JEe

bBoy JEe Senior member

Alright, went to Japango yesterday.
    I have to admit the fish was very fresh and tasty. They don't put too much wasabi in their sushi either, which I appreciate (unlike other seemingly authentic sushi places like Toshi).
    I had never had seared Tai before, which was a welcome surprise.

I spent $60 for two without drinks. Both of us were hungry afterwards (I ate slightly more than my gf). Admittedly, we did have the Aji and the Blue fin Toro, which drove up the price/sushi ratio, but I wish their rolls, at least, were larger.
    So, in summary, I enjoyed the food very much, but I wish I a) was in a higher income bracket or b) didn't eat about 3000 cal a day, so I could get a decently-sized meal. As they say, you can never be too rich or too thin...

Order Udon or Ramen next time to finish the meal/get full [​IMG]

8. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Order Udon or Ramen next time to finish the meal/get full [​IMG]

In the winter, maybe.

9. bBoy JEe

bBoy JEe Senior member

In the winter, maybe.

Cold udon salad?

10. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Cold udon salad?

Not a fan of cold noodles. But thanks. Your commitment to my nourishment is very touching [​IMG]

11. bBoy JEe

bBoy JEe Senior member

Not a fan of cold noodles. But thanks. Your commitment to my nourishment is very touching [​IMG]

That's the way we Canucks roll.

12. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I had a nightmare I was choosing from a menu at Six Steps last night. Glad I woke up from that dream.

Anyway, I've taken a liking to the chana masala at Matagali - not overpowering, seems reasonably healthy and light enough that you actually feel hungry at your next meal.

It looks like a lot of the hot dog vendors are moving out now on Front Street. I guess they're taking a vacation?

13. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

[...]
    It looks like a lot of the hot dog vendors are moving out now on Front Street. I guess they're taking a vacation?

on account of the G20 summit.

14. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

What are some recs for dates that won't cost a fortune? Both restaurants and places to get a drink or whatever that aren't too fussy, but are interesting and have some character, or maybe a nice view/patio/etc.

Jam asian martini bar by Colossus in Oakville is fairly cool.

Adega on elm street is not too expensive. probably 18-40 a plate. good portugese food. I spent around $100 for me and the girlfriend when we went there.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

sorry, I'n not going through this whole thread - what's the best big noisy dim sum place in town?