1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Toronto restaurant recommendation

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Dec 18, 2008.

1. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

First trip to Toronto Temperance Soociety. Like the space and drinks, would not pay a membership.

Also a trip to an old faithful, sneaky dees.

That's like my trip in reverse.

I drop by to start a night or polish off a night, was going to do it on Friday. However, my best night is still my first trip there on a Thursday. Adrian was the sole bartender for awhile and he's very loquacious and knowledgeable. Unfortunately I don't even know if he's there anymore as I haven't seen him in the last 2 or 3 trips; the place started with 2 bartenders and the writer, Christine. But the one bartender left by my first visit to New Orleans and Christine went back to her literary pursuit (guessing she's just a partner).

I stuck out rather like a peacock at Sneaky dee's; more a story of we're drunk, let's order some food and stare at it and drink.

2. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

My husband and I are taking a weekend trip to Toronto. We are in our late 20's and go a few times per year. Where should we go for dinner that we can get out under $100? We're looking for a cool atmosphere.PS-The last time I posted this question, someone recommended Hard Rock and Kelsey's. That is NOT what I'm asking.....

Check out The Rebel House on Yonge at the Rosedale Subway station, Duggans on Victoria St. Yasuka on Cumberland Avenue in Yorkville, Bedford Academy on Prince Arthur Avenue. If you are willing to stray a bit from downtown, the the Queen streetcar east to the Beaches neighbourhood and check out Whitlocks. This is just scratching the surface and enjoy your stay here.

3. doink

doink Senior member

Another good meal at origin. Odd mix of people from wealthy old people, to a few people with babies to tourists.

On another note, even if you are sitting on a patio, please take off your hat, especially baseball caps, at the dinner table. I'm sure not one here does it, but had to be said.

4. MarquisMagic

MarquisMagic Senior member

5. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

So I read about that place. Only one sitting a night ? No reservations? All the way out in God knows where?

The only thing it has is Michael Stadtländer and yes I copied and pasted that name.

6. doink

doink Senior member

Eigensinn Farm!

can't wait to hear a full report. It is one of the top dining experiences in the world.

7. TheButler

TheButler Senior member

No reservations and only one sitting does not compute. So you traipse out to the middle of nowhere and may get turned away? I thought it was "Reserve in advance. Way in advance." There's only room for a twelve.

8. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Alcoholic stupor - mixed it up with Haisai.

I have to do a bunch of work lunches and dinners this week. Reallly would be more enjoyable if it was with better company. Also my boss is choosing the venue. What is a good way to usurp the boss' choice?

(God I hope it's not Oliver and Bonacini)

9. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Help..who books Spice Route on a patio for a work dinner when it's 32c. I hope the dry cleaners don't mess up my BBBF.

10. oman

oman Senior member

yeah the weather has been absolutely horrendous lately. oh well, last days of patio-compatible climate, might as well enjoy it

11. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Convinced my boss to sit inside. I have only been to Spice Route for drinks. The food is frankly subpar or whatever they ordered was. Tuna sushi was steeped in batter. Wasabi shrimp not impressive. "Dim sum" - the har gow skin was cooked so long it was biting me back. I could go on but I won't. It's kind of like Ki but for "fusion".

Service was hard to comprehend. We had a veggie non-drinking person and the waitress almost scoffed at him having a tea. She said the teas weren't very good but she'll see. Well, if they suck, why the bloody hell are they on the menu? We had a person who didn't eat chicken and in spite of that, she recommended chicken dishes.

Polished off at Bymark. Pretty quiet - most wait staff talking and anticipating the TIFF rush.

Another line up of money pits for tomorrow I'm guessing.

Oh I did have the beef short ribs and fish tacos at South of Temperance. I wasn't impressed with the fish tacos but the short ribs were very tender. The bones were literally decorations as the meat was either marinated very long or fatty - you can eat it with a fork. Portions were a bit small but I was there for lunch. The short ribs come with some flavourless sides like couscous with assorted canned veggies.

12. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

So I spent the week in Paris and it seems no one posted any new places?

Anyone go to...Scarpetta?

I'm due at Lai Wai Heen on Wednesday. I haven't been there in years. I hope it's still quality.

13. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

[...] I'm due at Lai Wai Heen on Wednesday. I haven't been there in years. I hope it's still quality.
    Went to LWH last Saturday. It was good, but not great, not as great as the first time I went. Not sure if it was just the novelty, or maybe the selection of dishes. Anyway, I suggest to stay away from the fried stuffed eggplant as that was just boring, greasy and tasteless. The lobster dumpling was not very lobstery, at least not for the $3.50/pc price tag. Har Gow was very good, but I think I've had it better there. The beef rice noodle was ok, they have a new twist where they fill it with fried bean curd, but that comes at the cost of lower-quality beef. Kind of a 'crunchy roll', interesting. The corn/chicken rice noodle was surprisingly good. Tea was delicious as always.

14. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Lai Wah Heen lunch... XO chicken fried rice...not much XO, not very spicy except for one or two peppers. Got the usual dumplings, har gow, siu mai and all of that. Thought they were OK. $60+ tip.

Lai Wah Heen dinner - set dinner for 6, peking duck, fried beef thing, fish with asian greens, big spicy shrimps and some kind of soup plus a fried rice to finish. $370 + tip. The duck was pretty good. Shrimps were really good. Fish was okay. The other stuff was rather plain. So in general some hit and misses. Service was consistent and much better than lunch. I'm guessing most people come here for this. No alcohol either.

Oro for lunch - sea bream w/greens. Very salty. $49+tip.

Too rainy today to contemplate anything else.

15. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Le Petit Gourmet
    1064 Yonge St, Toronto (Summerhill)

A little bit of Paris on Yonge. Cozy, tiny neighborhood eatery.

16. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

Le Petit Gourmet
    1064 Yonge St, Toronto (Summerhill)

A little bit of Paris on Yonge. Cozy, tiny neighborhood eatery.

I used to work there. The chicken salad is very good, as are some of the pastries (particularly if they are fresh - and they may not be).

17. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Last night I found myself at Mediterra for a work dinner and I indulged in the fish menu which ranged from swordfish (wasn't this the fish that was recommended you only eat once a year?), atlantic salmon (isn't this the one to avoid?), chilean sea bass (isn't this the on that is being fished to extinction?), and halibut. Halibut + scallops and libations = $137 + tip.

18. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Tuesday night was spent at Ki - how the hell did 5 drinks turn into a $70 bill, I have no idea but this place is packed for a Tuesday; very different from the summer time.

Wednesday lunch was spent at Rodney's By The Bay. I made a last minute reservation and was placed at the bar sandwiched between some rakish gents (surgeon's cuffs, loud squares, etc.). Had tuna tartare, smoked salmon, calamari, vodka martini and a glass of wine - $72+tip. Service was really fast - got there at 12pm, plates were cleared by 12:50pm.

19. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Hey guys, i'm looking for venues to organize a Toronto SF meetup. Try to hold your inner foodie/drinkie at bay for a sec. VENUE: What I'm looking for is a venue that - offers some sort of open bar or lounge area where people can sort of mix and mingle without having to sit down for food. This will avoid the problem of reserving a certain number of seats in advance as well as not having anyone "stuck" in one spot. Open also makes it easier to spot the SF group since none of us really even knows each other. i also would prefer a place that allows casual (ie the whole SW&D group), but that's optional. It should be accessible to many people with other options in the area. So far what I'm thinking is the back patio area at Caren's Wine Bar, or (I haven't been) Ciao wine bar. Alternatives include meeting outside the Casa Del Habano (I can ask them to stay open a little later) and then moving to a bar from there. Any good casual tapas places? TIMING I'm thinking a Thursday evening incase people want to drink. Alternatives? I remember people having families so Sunday evening or something was usually not an option. What do you guys think? Thanks.

20. doink

doink Senior member

Eating out alot recently

Good

Harlem - had the meat loaf and stewed chicken. Both very good.

Harlem Underground - the sister restaurant - bbq chicken, deep fried pickles, okra fricasse, rice and beans - amazing

Buster Rhino BBQ in the middle of nowhere. Good BBQ beef brisket sandwich.

Bad

Cantina - an inedible hot ceviche and bland soup with small tacos that was too expensive for what we had.

Also had a mediocre rerun of tasting menu at colborne lane. While well prepared, and tasty enough just did not taste as good or feel as special as previous trips. Seemed like they called it in.