Toronto restaurant recommendation

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Dec 18, 2008.

1. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Do Guu instead of Lucien. I've yet to have a great meal at Lucien.

Sadly my dinner date did not want to wait for Guu so I went to Lucien - we had 6 rounds of alcohol and 1 course. Our waiter was attentive and wasn't rushing us at all - let us detox a little after the meal too. I thought the entrees were a bit restrictive - 3 fishes, 1 beef, 1 chicken and 1 lamb.

St. Patrick's was spent at C'est What - Vivaldi's Four Seasons must have scared everyone away. I came with one chap and asked for a table for 6 and the hostess asked me to round up at least 5 more people (I'm bad at math but [​IMG] )

I've never eaten there and I realized why one shouldn't. I believe the only thing jerk about the jerk chicken there is the black pepper they used.

I couldn't believe the massive queue outside Irish Embassy right around the corner and the crazy thing was half of them weren't even Irish, they were Asians.

2. doink

doink Senior member

Ate dinner at gilead cafe, very impressed with the food and setting. The food and winelist trend toward southern ontario. They are trying to do two sittings a night, ate dinner early and never felt rushed to get out. Dinner for 2 (2 aps, 2 mains, side veg and 2 deserts, 2 glasses of wine each) was about $175. Well worth it. Good to know JK has landed so firmly on his feet. I always enjoyed my meals at the wine bar.

3. TDOT

TDOT Senior member

What would you guys recommend in the city for something like a milestones type of menu, but not a chain restaurant?

4. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

What would you guys recommend in the city for something like a milestones type of menu, but not a chain restaurant?

What do you like about the Milestones menu? (which has everything except Indian food..or maybe it does, I forget)

If you haven't been to Foxley, that is the place to start - Ceviche and short ribs.
    Rare beef pho at Golden Turtle for lunch. Good hangover cure I've found.
    Libretto - can't miss, best pizza in Toronto.

Golden Turtle - I had #6, rare beef and brisket. It was okay - I didn't think it jumped out at me as amazing. I took a sip of the broth - less salty than other places but I wouldn't say it's 10 out of 10 or something. I was somewhat worried when they started filling hot sauce bottles by squirting in contents from other bottles. Hopefully it's old on top of new and not new on top of old. [​IMG]

Libretto - I just had the plain pizza. At first I almost thought to ask half of it to be packed away but the inside of the pizza was very thin and surprisingly light. The crust + the chili oil (which is not really hot at all) was divine. The basil was really fresh too. Have to come here again one day.

Foxley - So I had enough time to sit down for a drink and that was about it because my date had a (don't ask) problem and I had to go flag down a taxi..perhaps next time. The ambiance looked nice though [​IMG]

Also did lunch at Asian Bowl (wow this place went downhill) and some Japanese place that I forgot but our salmon rolls were made out of smoked salmon. Jeez, I could have done that at home.

5. 5tan

5tan Senior member

Are the lines for Guu still 'crazy?'
    I'd like to try Toronto soon, since Vancouver was a pretty pleasent experience.

6. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Took Doink's suggestion and went to breakfast (brunch?) at Hank's. Had an egg salad sandwich and the spicy lentil soup and then finished off with a cappucino. $12.50 + tip.

The beet salad is a bit strange - it's yellow and not red - but then what do I know about vegetables. Two things strike me about the food. One, it's not sodium, sugar or artificial flavouring laden. The egg salad I had was not heavy in mayo, salt or pepper. The spicy lentil was okay - not terribly spicy - you just get a feeling that everything is "homemade" there. People with insensitive palettes may call it bland.

Second thing is it's a great place to take a vegetarian person as they have a number of veggie only choices.

And finally, the cappucino I had was amazing. I normally don't drink coffee, much less cappucino, but this one made me think I need to stop by more often.

It's not a busy place at all and appears to attract a cross section of younger gents, mature couples and mothers with strollers. A lot of the lunch time traffic consists of people stopping in to get take away.

Are the lines for Guu still 'crazy?'
    I'd like to try Toronto soon, since Vancouver was a pretty pleasent experience.

It was when I was there a few weeks ago. Maybe they'll be like Black Hoof and will open up a secondary outlet across the street.

7. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Brunch at Cantine. 139 Avenue Road, Toronto Eggs Benedict, etc. Good food, good service. About $120 for 6. [​IMG]

8. audiophilia

St. Patrick's was spent at C'est What...

The 2nd worst meal I've had in this city.

I couldn't believe the massive queue outside Irish Embassy....

The worst meal I've had in this city. Truly, Godawful.

9. doink

doink Senior member

Are the lines for Guu still 'crazy?' I'd like to try Toronto soon, since Vancouver was a pretty pleasent experience.
    Yes the lines are still there. There was a line at 4:45 for a 5PM opening last night. It was really long when we left around 7:30 It was a fun place to eat and the food was very good. As for the white beets at hanks, they taste better to me and I like them in beet salads. Next good dining will be at origin.

10. audiophilia

Reds Bistro & Bar
    www.redsbistro.com
    77 Adelaide Street West
    Toronto, ON M5H 3P1
    (416) 862-7337

In First Canadian Place. Lots of good suits and comely servers. Good selection of wines by the glass and very good list. Not as good as it thinks it is, but some tasty grub. Great charcuterie, fair prices.

Glass of Roederer, two glasses Edmeades Zinfandel, Medium Charcuterie. Inc. tax and tip, $99.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. audiophilia

George
    111C Queen Street East
    Toronto, ON, M5C 1S2
    416 863 6006
    www.georgeonqueen.com

Lorenzo Loseto's restaurant of five years. His food is exquisitely presented, offers value, and tastes very good. His young gal pastry chef is going to be a star. Her desserts were unbelievably good. Two of the best we've tasted (mascarpone and rhubarb tart, chocolate creme brulee with doughnuts -- holy mother of God!)

Tasting menu. Cod, mackerel starters, foie with duck confit/pork belly (both amazing), striploin, lamb (awesome). Excellent cheese and the aforementioned desserts. Ecluse Cabernet Sauv and Grahams 20 year old.

Excellent service. Polished yet friendly.

With tax and tip, $432.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lamb with fruit skewer/goat cheese and barley risotto.

[​IMG]

Foie gras with duck confit.

[​IMG]

12. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I've been to REDS for a cocktail party, but never a sit-down meal.

13. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Reds

Did you go on an off hour? Service gets really bad downstairs during the peak after work drinks time.

George
    Excellent service. Polished yet friendly.

I avoided this because I heard some horror stories about bouncers being in front of the restaurant and a holier than thou attitude but if you're saying service is okay, maybe I can give it a shot.

14. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Toronto Life's Best Restaurants for 2010

To save from the incessant adverts:
    1. Haisai
    2. Kaiseki Yu-Zen Hashimoto
    3. Splendido
    4. Ame
    5. Local Kitchen and Wine Bar
    6. Queen and Beaver
    7. Paramour
    8. Earth
    9. Hoof Cafe
    10. Guu Izakaya

15. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

Any thoughts on the list?

Also I can safely say I've never been to any of them except for Splendido, and that was a while ago. Any recommendations for sleeper hits in this bunch?