Toronto restaurant recommendation

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Dec 18, 2008.

1. lfl

lfl Well-Known Member

Not posh or anything but damn tasty - anyone been to Craft burger joint at King just West of Spadina? their craft burger was great!

+1, craft burger is the best of all these 'high end' burger joints that have been springing up IMO

2. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

[​IMG]

Dinner this Friday. I'll post some thoughts.

3. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

...but we have to be able to get in for V-Day - or it'll be a lonely night.

Most of the places you mentioned are on Open Table - why don't you try booking through there?

I did try about 2 weeks ago and didn't see much left on Feb 13 (10:30 sitting isn't my idea of dinner)

As I'm single, I didn't try 14th.

4. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Went to the Copacabana Grill on Eglinton Sat. night (for the 2nd time) and it didn't disappoint. Great selection of meats off the spit in all you can Brazilian style meal. I must have eaten 3lbs of beef... [​IMG]

5. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

I've been meaning to try the Copacabana too, but I'm not sure my colon will forgive me.

I went to Onoir on the weekend. It's one of those restaurants where you eat in complete darkness. It was an interesting experience. The food was decent too. It's worth trying once.

6. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I was at this place near Yonge and Wellesley last night..what is it..Roundhouse or something? Anyway, the service was shite - we finished our appetizers before anyone bothered getting us a refill for the drinks. The smoked salmon platter was a little bit of salmon, some pieces of bread and 2/3 salad. Not sure how that's actually platter as it seemed to me more like smoked salmon salad with a piece of bread.

The only redeeming thing is I got extra rye on my last drink because the server figured out I was an alcoholic of some kind. But an underwhelming $80 spent. I was going to go to Ame or something more interesting like that but maybe tonight!

7. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

37 Prince Arthur Avenue Toronto, ON M5R 1B2, Canada 921-3105 Read reviews/posts about its great location, ambiance, excellent food, extensive wine list, and superb service. Is 2/3 out of 5 for the price good enough? The location and curbside appeal is excellent. The decor was ho hum but comfortable (I should have guessed from the antiquated website). I made the res two months ago. They looked confused when I mentioned my two syllable surname. Clearly. Did not offer to take my date’s coat. The team was dressed in ordinary tan chinos and shirt/tie. Our waiter, very pleasant, but would not pass muster at our local Keg -- hands in pocket (X3), amateur wine service, mumbled so the ladies on the opposite side of the table could not hear him (ambient noise was fairly quiet), but a very pleasant fellow, nonetheless. Wine list was extensive but published on crappy paper -- felt and looked like a Canadian Tire catalog (check out Le Select Bistro to see how it should be done). Some well priced wines, but many at X 2.5, 3 retail or more. Top wine, a $45,000 Petrus. The list has won the Wine Spectator Award several years in a row. Food was very good, served very hot and timely. Lobster, Bison with Foie Gras, Caribou with Stilton Profiteroles -- all very good quality. Kobe beef, Foie Gras apps were also very good. Oysters were quality. Nice bread. The Sancerre and Pinot Noir wines were excellent. Creme Brulee was good. Cheese service was very good. So, not in the same league as Canoe or even North 44 and Auberge du Pommier. Better than Scaramouche (in my experience -- friends swear by the place). But, as it prides itself on being a top nosh place, I can compare it as such. That said, compared to Daniel, Lutece, Guy Savoy, Ducasse, Gordon Ramsay (Claridges) it is nothing more than nice little dining spot. For just a little more, you can get (on the best night), a world class dining experience at Canoe, with a wonderful bar, a great sommelier, and the view. Dinner for 4 (three courses, champagne, wine, port) with tax and tip. $850.00 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. closetmess

closetmess Senior member

I'm in Toronto for Valentine's Day and the week following. My girl is a seafood lover and I'm a pasta lover; unfortunately I missed out on Scaramouche for the 14th but did make a reservation for the 19th.

Can anyone make a suggestion for a downtown-ish spot that would likely still have decent tables available for the 14th?

Try Chiado in little Portugal. The place and the food are amazing - especially if your girl likes fish. You could also try to hit Rosebud as I hear it is closing at the end of the month. Cinq01 is also quite nice, College West.

9. doink

doink Senior member

Try Chiado in little Portugal. The place and the food are amazing - especially if your girl likes fish. You could also try to hit Rosebud as I hear it is closing at the end of the month. Cinq01 is also quite nice, College West.

Avoid Rosebud, went Friday and it was not a very good meal. Lots miscues on the food, bad wine list. Relatively good service. The chef which made it a good place left a few weeks ago.

10. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Oooh I just read a review of Cinq 01: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1457912/

11. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Top wine, a $45,000 Petrus. The list has won the Wine Spectator Award several years in a row.

That's for the TIFF days right?

Dinner for 4 (three courses, champagne, wine, port) with tax and tip.
    $850.00

Very posh. I wonder what it would be like if I had my usual scotch and vodka martinis.

12. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I've been slumming it the last while..

Alice Fazooli's in the club district - had a butternut squash ravioli which was unremarkable. Someone in my party had the chicken risotto but said the broth was so repulsive she basically just ate the chicken. All of our dishes were at varying stages of hot and cold - I surmise some of ours were finished long before others. In spite of overstaffing at this place, waitresses would pour you a glass of water and then forget that your drink was empty or vice versa. I would also add that if you look like you're 4 months pregnant not to wear navel revealing clothing.

Fionn Maccool up at Bloor & Jarvis. This place is tiny and only seems to attract Manulife people (of whom I was with) across the street. Service was pretty crappy at the bar until the bartender realized I was an alcoholic. Got a free shot on the night too. Woohoo! But overall, not a place I'd go if it were not for a friend.

Wednesday, lunch at Spring Rolls at the Atrium. This place must be dying down. I walk in and get seats regularly now.

Thursday, I was bamboozled to go to Kyoto Japanese House - yet another Japanese place run by Chinese people on Dundas. $12.95 lunch "buffet" - at least they keep bringing the food out and encouraging you to order more. However, when the spicy xyz crunchy rolls started coming out emulsified in grease with the sticky rice, I realized I was eating the Japanese version of a hot dog.

Friday, I went to Queen & Beaver for lunch and indulged in scotch eggs. I then had to wait at Baton Rouge (Eaton Centre) at the bar for awhile - the up selling on shots of hard liquor is actually quite embarassing. And then for the commuters I made it to the Bottom Line - got nice looks from some slightly over 25 girls who are constantly on their Blackberries (yes - you can be seen if you use that as a prop to spy on guys) and the place was packed, I only got a seat for my work mate, but the manager (owner?) was nice enough to drag out a stool for me.

Let's hear about the Valentine's Day (wallet) massacres....

13. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Went to the Copacabana Grill on Eglinton Sat. night (for the 2nd time) and it didn't disappoint. Great selection of meats off the spit in all you can Brazilian style meal. I must have eaten 3lbs of beef... [​IMG]

+1 perfect if you are a meat-hog like me!

Mind you, I could do without the band ... [​IMG]

14. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I just got back from a coma inducing lunch at Regal something restaurant (Finch & McCowan), more (in)famously known as the Ruby Chinese Restaurant before it got shut down by food inspectors. So I think after 4 hours, I still have no food poisoning.

We racked up something like $300 of dim sum. Choices were pretty good. Food was fresh - har gows were plump and juicy. They had some of the newer dim sums like the bumble bee fried stuff. The cutlery looked pretty new. The place was still missing paint on some drywalls and the washroom smelt like fresh paint and/or varnish.

The worse part of the whole lunch was the service, which was insufferable shite. We literally ordered too much but empty plates would run out of space on the table so we started stacking them in a corner away from the table. Needless to say, tea service was slow to non-existent. At several points, people would run away when we asked for stuff or utter unintelligble words like "Aaarr...err...". We asked for diet coke and lo and behold they came with regular coke already opened and basically said, "Uhm, it's opened, so you're going to have to take it now."

And while we munched on maybe 3 or 4 dishes in a span of 30 minutes, about 20 dishes came out in a span of 10 minutes. There was so much commotion my cousin had to stand up for a good 5 minutes while they slowly trucked in the plates and crossed off what we ordered. I would only tip one person there if I had to but luckily I didn't have to pay.

On leaving, some genius patrons thought it would be great to drive straight into the front door of the restaurant to drop off people literally rolling over the curb and the interlocking bricks that lead tot he front door. And not one, but two cars; Scarborough driving par excellence.

15. sjg22

sjg22 Senior member

When to Ame on Friday night on Mercer. Was actually quite good and the service was better than expected (then again, I went after work around 8 and it was maybe 1/3 full, so it might be a different story when busy). Overall, the food was better than I would've expected and I quite enjoyed the rolls we bought (esp. the Spicy Tuna and the Spicy King Crab).