• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto restaurant recommendation

doink

Reaction score
I would check over on chowhound. There are numerous running debates over Markham vs downtown for dim sum.

As for vietnamese, places I've been and enjoyed include golden turtle(Ossington) and pho pasteur (Dundas and Spadina) there is also Pho Hung (Spadina) which is OK just watch what you order. Neither are destination dining.

No comments on steak or sri lankan.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by doink
I would check over on chowhound. There are numerous running debates over Markham vs downtown for dim sum.

Really? There's a debate? It's got to be Markham. The only places that are rather clean and hygenic are priced for tourists or business expensed meals, and they're not always spectacular (i.e. Dynasty).

I'm not a snob or anything. I do go around Spadina and Dundas pretty much every week or every other week. East Chinatown around Broadview I try to avoid.

Pookehs

Reaction score
My beef with Dundas and Spadina isn't even that the restaurants aren't squeaky clean. By and large, the food is just offensively bad as compared to what is available uptown. Every time I eat there I think, "These guys aren't even trying." You go uptown and you get better food for the same price. So all I go to Dundas and Spadina for now are the Vietnamese sandwiches.
lol8[1].gif

Has anyone tried Smoke's Poutinerie? Is it a tribute or an abomination to poutine? Better/worse than the blue chip truck in front of City Hall?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cool, thanks.

about 10 years ago I had been in markham a bit, and I completly forgot the name of the suburb. I had some great vietnamese and chinese food there.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
cool, thanks.

about 10 years ago I had been in markham a bit, and I completly forgot the name of the suburb. I had some great vietnamese and chinese food there.

in markham i like konji wong. or however the hell you spell it. they opened one in thornhill now aswell. spadina and dundas can be gross. after a night of drunkeness we went to eat there and found a cocroach on our food.

Pookehs

Reaction score
^ Congee Wong. Decent food.
smile.gif

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having been in Chinatown since I was born, I'm never surprised about roaches or mice there. Whatever, it's protein.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Reds last night with a friend. First time I've been out since smashing my face on a cement stair in Hong Kong and getting 20 stitches in my face.

We had a nachos (yes, but she's vegetarian) and some grilled scallops. Nachos were very gourmet and overpriced. Amazingly, there's not much other than cheese for a vegetarian to eat. I was going to move up to the dining room but she was already full.

Funny moment of the night: the bus boy wanted to pour water into my rye on the rocks. I guess it was too dark to tell the difference?

oldseed

Reaction score
reds sucks. it has to be said. there's a reason why peeps go for drinks there and nothing else.

i LOVE pho pasteur. awesome satay pho, awesome spring rolls. nuff said. if you want plain pho then go to any of millions of places. pasteur is good for the satay.

downtown chinatown is becoming vietnamese town, for those of u still living in the 90s.

seed

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldseed
reds sucks. it has to be said. there's a reason why peeps go for drinks there and nothing else.

Well, the service has been steadily declining. Their patio "service" is atrociously slow (about 1 drink every 70 minutes).

Originally Posted by oldseed
downtown chinatown is becoming vietnamese town, for those of u still living in the 90s.

Eventually these mainland Chinese immigrants will kick them out I'm sure.

Went to Acqua last night for drinks. Also 1 drink/45 minutes - good thing I was ordering doubles.
blush.gif

oldseed

Reaction score
i just read this whole thread. thought i'd add a bit.

in scarborough, shwarma empire has the best empire in the world. look it up, order it spicy. lawrence and warden

johnny's burger is another scarberia mainstay open till very very late. probably run by the mafia. vic park and sheppard.

congee wong at leslie and finch has some of the best consistently good chinese food in all of toronto.. its newer sister congee queen is better for white people who like a nice atmosphere, don mills and steels

the best pho in toronto is pho pasteur, gotta order satay, on dundas and spadina. it's a very austere place and cheapish.

for high class ****, jamie kennedy's is the best bang for the buck. tasty and fun to hang out, unpretentious

scaramouche is overpriced. view is overhyped. i'd never go there again

canoe is decent. cold. i rarely go

splendido has the best service i've ever had in my life. compares with the indian restaurants on queen and university, which has damn good service for affordable eats

bymark, cold, nothing special, never go

ki, cold, expensive, pretentious. sometimes go for the pretentiousness of it all

beer bistro -- i like this place

la maquette is nice. a bit overpriced but decent normal atmosphere

terroni's. famous for its italian. i think it's average

gratzi's. famous for its italian and the atmosphere. overpriced and crap food.

osgoode hall lunch. just ******* amazing. and for $20? wow.

greektown: i love christina's

little italy: hate most of the places there due to population overkill. gato nero and utopia are alrite for hanging out

oh. no one here has mentioned the distillery district. any of hte places there are good places for a drink and a date.

we need a thread for best date restaurant in toronto. i'm not sure i have one, but christina's comes close for the food, laid back atmosphere, belly dancing. just fun.

new bilan house on college and jarvis has awesome somalian food and goat. the best goat soap i've had in my life.

oh, and it has to be said. truffles was okay. never got what the hype was about. id' rather have high tea at the windsor arms.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Can't comment much on the overall food scene in Toronto, but I'll say that the best steak in the city is without a doubt Jacobs & Co...likely in my top 3 steaks ever. Excellent service (maybe a little on the stiff/scripted/pretentious side) and a huge choice of cuts and ages. You do pay for it, though.

racetrack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
spadina and dundas can be gross. after a night of drunkeness we went to eat there and found a cocroach on our food.

That's what messini's on danforth is for... best place to get a bite to eat after a night of mischief and drunkenness.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by racetrack
That's what messini's on danforth is for... best place to get a bite to eat after a night of mischief and drunkenness.

i dont hang in that area. i was in kensington market. i also love sneaky dees for late night eating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads