• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto restaurant recommendation

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Casa Imperial in Scarborough for a retirement party. This is probably the weirdest Chinese place I've been to. The walls are adorned with European fine art and dark wooden frames. Yet, the chairs and circular tables were typically Chinese. It looks like a Chinese place stuck in a standalone steak house.

We went for an 8 course meal starting with pork, duck, scallops, etc. Service was organized in the beginning. For example, plates and utensils were swapped out in between each course and then became more and more seldom. We actually called the maitre d' over to start the serving of one of the courses but she hesitated (too stuck up to serve?) and went off to find someone else to do it...only no one came by so the guests starting helping themselves in typical communal Chinese fashion.

The best part of the service was the waiter singing a song for the retiree when bringing out the cake and the free desserts we got.

Food wise - the duck was probably the best. Scallops were underwhelming. This place can't seem to do seafood right.

I did not get a chance to indulge in alcohol but saw quite a few parties around ordering wine. Also excused myself early so I didn't see the damage. Judging from the amount of people scurrying around, I can only imagine it's overpriced.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent the night at Jam martini bar out in the west suburbs... I'm trying to avoid places in Toronto until the film festival is over (should be easy since I'm shipping off to Asia this week).

The Globe did a new review of Splendido after its renovation and also recommended Jezebel for drinks during the film hoopla - anyone been there?

(I know it's not a restaurant and more a club)

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ventured to Caplansky's on College and Brunswick last night. Twenty minute wait when there are three tables open right in front of us was not appreciated. We were eventually seated in one of those tables.

Service is not up to par yet (I'll give them a pass as they just opened) but the smoked meat is great. Also had the poutine which was well done though dry at the bottom.

doink

Reaction score
I also hit caplanskys this weekend, got there at 6PM on saturday, no wait. Service was spotty, but expectedly so, server forgot things and orders came out in an odd order, but nothing to complain about. I was a devotee at the monarch and will be making the new location a regular.

Hits
The smoked meat is what people go for and was great, we had a mix of ***** and medium sandwiches, I always go *****, it is the only way to go. Good marbling of the meat.

Fries were pretty good.

Pickle Plate was good

Latkes good. May order as a stand alone plate in the future.

Misses

What is the difference between #9 IPA and Tankhouse? The colour seemed identical and the taste was similar.

Salad, was a replacement order for someone who wanted turkey, which they were out of

Server forgot soup, was comped a sandwich to make up for it.

Wishes

Pickles - would rather have brine cured home made pickles, maybe zane can find a nice mennonite family top make him some
Turkey, wish it had been there
Apple sauce, tasted like allens, homemade chunky with a hint of cinnamon would have been great.

Planning my next good meal, having a tough time deciding where to go.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Going to have to try this very soon and if it's as good as I'm hearing, I may have to pick up a whole brisket.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped by last night at 11pm but despite the open door, they were closed
frown.gif
. Second time I've been foiled late at night there. I spoke to Zane and beware the posted hours on the door: they close at 11pm (not 2am on weekends) and 10pm on Sundays.

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think, at this point in time, it is a good thing that they don't push till 2am. The area can certainly handle a good, late night food spot, but the hours everyone seems to be putting into the place are crazy as it is!

doink

Reaction score
My comment, don't judge service or flakey hours for at least 2 months. If they can't get it together then, then there is a problem. Until a few months in just know things are going to be slow and screwed up, but the sandwich will be good.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grabbed a sandwich to go last night (which I ate in a theater at the TIFF) and it was all sorts of yum!! Take-out service was quick as it was quiet on a monday night.

I am from MTL and Schwartz lover however there is something very nice about Caplansky's smoking. Not as salty or briny as Schwartz but with a subtle, mesquite BBQ flavor that gives it a very tasty edge. They need a bit more practice at cutting... the guy needed to weigh the 6oz of meat on a scale
eh.gif
and didn't put mustard on the bread until I asked (the spicy one is good). I'll be back and want to try their smoked meat burger (20% smoked meat/80% ground beef).
smile.gif

racetrack

Reaction score
Anyone been to Jezebel on Ossington? A friend recommended it for a birthday party... but his suggestions don't live up to his hype.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need to come to Toronto with some team members for a weekend in Nov.

I need a few recomendations -

best steak in town
best vietnamese
best sri lankan
best dim sum

I am willing to go to the suburbs if needed.

any all all recomendations are welcome

thanks

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
best steak in town
best vietnamese
best sri lankan
best dim sum

My coworker says there are no fine dining Sri Lankan places worth going. Most are take out places that compete on price. He is Sri Lankan and goes here: http://www.karaikudi.ca/

For Chinese, I go to Ambassador http://www.ambassadorcc.com/ (suburbs in Markham) but if you have posh companions, I'd go for Lai Wah Heen.

I wouldn't be able to tell a good Vietnamese place from a bad one. There are plenty of non-chain related steakhouses around. Most are untried by me, but I hear hings about Harbour Sixty and Bardi's (family run but downtown). These places are steak only if I recall - no free sides, combos or anything.

Pookehs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
For Chinese, I go to Ambassador http://www.ambassadorcc.com/ (suburbs in Markham) but if you have posh companions, I'd go for Lai Wah Heen.

+1 on Ambassador. You won't find that quality of food with that atmosphere in the city IMO.

I've never been to Lai Wah Heen, but they had better have some awesome food if their medium-sized dim sum is going for $6.

Has anyone managed to track down a Vietnamese joint in Toronto that is actually Vietnamese owned and operated?

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pookehs
Has anyone managed to track down a Vietnamese joint in Toronto that is actually Vietnamese owned and operated?

That's like asking about a good Japanese place not staffed with Koreans, Chinese or whoever. The farce about those places is they all pretend to speak Japanese by greeting you with moshi moshi.

eh.gif

Pookehs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
That's like asking about a good Japanese place not staffed with Koreans, Chinese or whoever. The farce about those places is they all pretend to speak Japanese by greeting you with moshi moshi.

eh.gif

I've always enjoyed Ematei, although I'm not a Japanese food expert by any means.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics