• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto or Vancouver? Where should I live?

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently received a job offer from a company that has offices in Toronto and Vancouver, my position is needed in both cities, so I pretty much have an option of which place to go to.

Suggestions? I'm from Calgary btw so Vancouver is a little bit closer to home.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toronto if you want the big city metropolis vibe, Vancouver if you want the chill/laid back west coast vibe.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Umm not the greatest pay, I'll probably start at 60ish, but I don't have many expenses. Don't think I could get a place near downtown Van with that kind of salary could I?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Same pay? Decent wage? Vancouver by a mile. Living cheap? Don't live in Vantown.

do people actually call it vantown?
facepalm.gif

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha both Calgary (Cowtown) and Edmonton (E-Town) go by that...I dislike it...but I'm thinking maybe he meant downtown van?

fungz0r

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1up
Umm not the greatest pay, I'll probably start at 60ish, but I don't have many expenses. Don't think I could get a place near downtown Van with that kind of salary could I?

Are you by yourself? I think you can easily get a place with that kind of pay, but maybe not directly in downtown Vancouver. Downtown is a paid to drive in anyways, you're always better off just taking transit into the core.

All depends what you're looking for I guess, tons of outdoors stuff in BC, I don't know about toronto and ontario though

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1up

yeah you could

if you want something similar to your life now vancouver, if you want to flip your world on its head toronto

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Vancouver and lived in TO for 4 years.

Living in TO is cheaper and has way better nightlife, culture and art scenes.

Van is great if you like outdoor activities and are used to smaller cities. Meeting people if you're not from here is harder though.

Women I find pretty equal in both cities with the edge going to Vancity (no one calls it "Vantown") for smart, athletic types.

You can definitely live alone or with roommates around Main St./Mt. Pleasant, Kitsilano or Fairview for 60K/yr and still save a lot of $.

There have been other threads on this topic so I would suggest a search.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1up
Of course you can. I just wouldn't recommend it. It'll either suck or be really expensive. I know people who pay close to 2k for a modest 1br in yaletown.
Originally Posted by fungz0r
, you're always better off just taking transit into the core.
This. The Canada Line makes getting downtown ridiculously easy provided you live somewhere near it. Time was in order to skytrain to work you had to live in Burnaby or something and... **** that noise.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Toronto if you want the big city metropolis vibe, Vancouver if you want the chill/laid back west coast vibe.

This.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say T.O. Not only for the reasons given above, but you're closer to the east coast, obviously, in case you want to travel to NYC, Boston, MTL, etc. If that proximity matters to you.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
I say T.O. Not only for the reasons given above, but you're closer to the east coast, obviously, in case you want to travel to NYC, Boston, MTL, etc. If that proximity matters to you.

Depending on career, toronto probably provides more options when you start looking for your next job as well. That's why I moved here. I'm in a field that pretty much mandates jumping ship for significant pay increases though.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Of course you can. I just wouldn't recommend it. It'll either suck or be really expensive. I know people who pay close to 2k for a modest 1br in yaletown.

This. The Canada Line makes getting downtown ridiculously easy provided you live somewhere near it. Time was in order to skytrain to work you had to live in Burnaby or something and... **** that noise.

Canada Line has made life so much easier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads