• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto Housing Market Thread

scatterbrain

Reaction score
This property pricing is bananas. I thought we could share how we cope with it.

My dilemma: Should I borrow 700k now to buy an entry-level detatched house in the burbs this year (milton, Mississauga, Brampton)? Or just rent for a few years and hope the market chills out? I'm worried if I don't get into the market pronto I will get priced out and never be landowning class.o_O

But I also don't want to completely destroy my lifestyle by taking on some whacko monthly housing cost.

From what I've read, when Vancouver introduced their tax it didnt really impact 'normal people houses', but had a significant impact on multimillion dollar homes.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My parents have a house in Mississauga now worth around $1.3 Million thanks to the crazy prices. Mortgage is just about finished with around $20,000 remaining.

I was wondering if they should get a rental property in the hopes of flipping it and becoming "rich"? I mean can you really make $XXX,000 K in a few years? Which areas should I look at? Boonies like Niagara, Kitchener, or other area? Or still in the main burbs like Mississauga, Brampton, Milton, Pickering, Ajax?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might be naive but i think the property prices in Toronto proper are here to stay.

Toronto's like an island - there's limited land you can buy a house on.

The burbs' feel like a different story so i'm warier of prices out there.

Chambertin

Reaction score
My parents recently downsized, sold family home and bought a bungalow in North Etobicoke.

Recently married, we'd like to purchase a home, with a reasonable commute to downtown and large enough to have a family. Seems almost impossible to have both.

As long as interest rates remain low, and unemployment doesn't skyrocket, the prices are here to stay though the 30% annual increases probably won't last. Probably.

NickInTO

Reaction score
Just bought a 3-bedroom detached in Corso Italia at a decent price (relative to price for similar homes in the neighbourhood). Putting my townhouse near Queen-Dovercourt up for sale next week. I'm getting pretty nervous about it, it's my first time selling.

sunstealth

Reaction score
I can not believe how expensive houses are in toronto area or it's suburb, 700k is unreal for a entry evel home

in montreal north shore you get a really nice mid level house for 300K with a 10 000 square foot yard and a double bay garage

Ranjeev

Reaction score
In the market ourselves and it seems like prices have come down and inventory is sitting for longer. I live in the GTA. We may just build our place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads