• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Torn Labrum in Hip - Surgery and Recovery

Ag229487

Reaction score
About 9 months ago, it started with pain in my ham-strings, hip and groin area. Went to see the doctor who did my sports hernia surgery two years ago, and after MRI's and testing, was referred to a very good Doctor in NYC who handled these sort of things. Turns out I had an impingement of the hip which likely contributed to the tear of the labrum inside the socket. I didn't want to wait around and deal with the pain and risk causing more damage, so after getting one shot of cortisone to the hip which did nearly nothing, I opted for surgery. Minimally invasive surgery and was only about 1.5 hour procedure.

It has been about 9 days since I have had the surgery; I will say that there was minimal pain throughout my recovery, just tightness. Haven't used painkillers once, just anti-inflammatory. I start rehab next week and hope to recover quickly. Crutches for 10 days was probably the most inconvenient part.

So this is my story, has anyone else dealt with this problem and if so, how was your experience and recovery?

If anybody does have this problem and is considering surgery, feel free to ask me any questions and I might be able to give you some insight.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not likely to be productive... but I had hip surgery at 14 for a condition called 'scfy' or 'slipped capitol femoral epiphysis'... had screws drilled into my hips to fix things... I grew about 2.5in in a month and hip got fucked and slipped off my thigh bone.... It absolutely ruined me... wheelchair for 2 months. crutches for another 3. ****** stuff. But I lacked solid muscle mass to aid recovery and was a bit of a ***** at the time...

My mom just went through hip replacement surgery about a week ago and her physical therapist said her recovery will coincide with her pain threshold... I believe that to be true, because a friend of mine had his hip replaced recently and he happened to be a professional rugby player at one time... He was up mowing the lawn and doing yardwork 3 days after surgery. Man up I spose.

Good luck with recovery.

Ag229487

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, sorry to hear about your tough experience.

You're right though in that it depends on the person. My surgery wasn't nearly as involved as a hip replacement so I am fortunate in that respect. I'm off crutches today for the first time so it feels good to be moving around; we'll see how rehab goes next week..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics