• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Torn Jeans

fatty

Reaction score
I was walking along down the street minding my own business the other day when I was affronted with a terrible sight. So this guy was kinda cute, windswept hair and a rugged look, it would have been all fine till i looked down. And saw these shoes below his torn jeans:
sch171045_white_s.jpg

I didn't know they made them for men, they should never have even introduced them for women!

Anyway, i started this thread for a reason. Torn jeans, yea or nay? I want to know if it looks tacky. Thinking about women as well as men I suppose.

Wear and tear at the knees? Ripped where the shoes tread on them? Back pocket holes? Or carefully postioned runs courtesy of the designer.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *****
I was walking along down the street minding my own business the other day when I was affronted with a terrible sight. So this guy was kinda cute, windswept hair and a rugged look, it would have been all fine till i looked down. And saw these shoes below his torn jeans:
sch171045_white_s.jpg

I didn't know they made them for men, they should never have even introduced them for women!

Anyway, i started this thread for a reason. Torn jeans, yea or nay? I want to know if it looks tacky. Thinking about women as well as men I suppose.

Wear and tear at the knees? Ripped where the shoes tread on them? Back pocket holes? Or carefully postioned runs courtesy of the designer.

Torn jeans are pretty common among fratboy types because they're commonly sold by mainstream US brands like Abercrombie and Hollister, and to a lesser degree 7FAM, TR, etc.

While I think distressing has its place and own several pairs of washed jeans with distressing, I'm not personally fond of holes that were intentionally made, as I feel it's somewhat disingenuous. I don't necessarily have a problem with holes in jeans if they are simply worn from a long and useful life. I have a pair of 7FAM relaxed that have some slight holes (that I've patched) and wear them with pride because I've owned them for 4-5 years and they've probably been worn 3-400 times.

fatty

Reaction score
yeh i had that with my jeans. the whole in the knees go so big i eventually cut them into shorts. The back pockets still had holes so i patched them up. And continued wearing.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite pair of jeans are pretty thoroughly shredded. I do feel somewhat self-conscious of the more cobain aspect of this look, but I also come rather authentically by "derelict *************" status, so it all evens out.

A few months ago I saw a girl in an Insane Clown Posse T-shirt wearing jeans that were very, uh, "anti-fit" and had strategic rips at the point where the legs and asscheeks meet. She weighed a few bills, for added pleasure.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bergdorf Goodwill
My favorite pair of jeans are pretty thoroughly shredded. I do feel somewhat self-conscious of the more cobain aspect of this look, but I also come rather authentically by "derelict *************" status, so it all evens out.

A few months ago I saw a girl in an Insane Clown Posse T-shirt wearing jeans that were very, uh, "anti-fit" and had strategic rips at the point where the legs and asscheeks meet. She weighed a few bills, for added pleasure.

ICP is l337...

On a peripherally related note, I saw a girl at the Block last night wearing a very short miniskirt with a cutout of a paw print right in the middle of the back of the skirt... classy, to say the least.

En1gma101

Reaction score
I used to walk on the heels of my jeans all the time so I just consider that as average wear that is going to happen.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
ICP is l337...

On a peripherally related note, I saw a girl at the Block last night wearing a very short miniskirt with a cutout of a paw print right in the middle of the back of the skirt... classy, to say the least.

I appreciate the subtle subtext of the lust that only woman and dog may share -- I can only hope that the peanut butter that enables these kinds of relationships flows free in her household.

fatty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117

I am so doing that.

Also, these got so torn at knees i just cut them.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/aka-*****/others/IMG_4024.jpg

vanity

Reaction score
I think torn jeans are pretty tacky but for some reason, women can get away with it. They look silly on guys, IMO.

The worst tears are the ones at the bottom of the cuffs where the jeans have worn and torn from the street and shoes. Why don't people trim that ****? I've seen a good 6" of material dragging along, all stained and disgusting from street grime. What kind of ******* pig would walk around like that? If you're gonna wear your jeans too long, at least keep the bottoms neat.

ninjapie

Reaction score
I am so doing that.

I tend to throw my torn jeans aside and wear them during the summer or, just like you do, turn them into shorts.
The thing is though, over here it's rarely warm enough to actually wear shorts, perhaps 1 or 2 months during the summer if I'm lucky. Torn jeans on the other hand can be worn when it's slightly less warm, too. I'd never wear them when they make my limbs feel uncomfortable due to a cold wind or w/e.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am so doing that.

One thing about this is that while I think the jeans you posted look quite good, and look like they could actually be jean shorts, aren't the cuts of shorts and jeans somewhat different? I suppose it depends on the brand.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
No matter what garment it is these days, everything for women is cut skintight it seems.

I don't wear jean shorts anymore. For some reason I don't like them as much as chino shorts.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Women can get away with it, men cannot. Vanity has it right. The ripped to hell hems is just stupid though. Get them in your correct size or get them hemmed. No need for bootcuts 2inches too long.

Women's jeans tend to rip more than guys because of how tight they are (although, some guys on the interwebs are catching up). As long as it's not the hole ********** or upper thigh that just looks slutty, i don't have a problem with women wearing lightly distressed scrapes or "half holes" if you know what i mean. It's ripped but no skin showing. Some jeans i've seen go overboard with big holes, but small ones on women aren't that bad.

It just looks weird/tacky on guys though. I've never seen preripped jeans on guys that don't make it look like they're trying really hard and failing. It depends on the overall look style of the guy though. Some of the hipster/hippie guys on my campus can pull it off because of their generally unkempt (some on purpose, others legit) style. It seems to play into their lifestyle more. However, ripped bootcut jeans with shredded hems, and a lacoste polo with sandals looks awful.

And can we quit quoting every picture a thousand times. We all know the only girl in jean shorts picture in this thread. No one will be lost. It's like 3 pictures of *****'s ass in 4 posts.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ninjapie
I tend to throw my torn jeans aside and wear them during the summer or, just like you do, turn them into shorts.
The thing is though, over here it's rarely warm enough to actually wear shorts, perhaps 1 or 2 months during the summer if I'm lucky. Torn jeans on the other hand can be worn when it's slightly less warm, too. I'd never wear them when they make my limbs feel uncomfortable due to a cold wind or w/e.

Where do you live? I hope to one day live where it is never warm enough for shorts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads