• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Topy on soles and Obama

zacha

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of the Grenson Salisbury, and after doing a lot of reading old posts debating topy vs. no topy, decided I would head to Felix's Shoe Repair (Cambridge, MA). Having done that reading, when I saw the following photo of Sen. Barack Obama with his shoes up, I wondered, what kind of shoes/soles are those? My uneducated guess is that those have been topy'd and the rubber is wearing through in the middle...? A note from the photographer:
Senator Obama was doing press interviews by telephone in a holding room between events. Sometime later as he was getting ready to begin his event, he asked me if I was photographing his shoes. When I said yes, he told me that he had already had them resoled once since he entered the race a year earlier. Providence, R.I., 3/1/2008.​
Any idea what kind of shoes they are?

jsherman02

Reaction score
Talk about lazy. You cannot tell me that he does not own enough shoes so he can send these out to get repaired?

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsherman02
Talk about lazy. You cannot tell me that he does not own enough shoes so he can send these out to get repaired?

Well that would make him look like an elitist now wouldn't it. You and your fancy multiple pairs of shoes.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something tells me that he has other things to worry about. I know when I get busy at work I'm not always at my sartorial best. I can see how something like getting your shoes re-topy'd could slip your mind when your running for President. As long as the shoes looks clean and lace-up I'm sure he'll keep wearing them.

Please forgive him.

LOL.

youngScholar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
Well that would make him look like an elitist now wouldn't it. You and your fancy multiple pairs of shoes.

Imagine the outrage were Obama to wear bespoke.
sarcasm.gif

greyinla

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsherman02
You betcha. Democrat wears topys=cheap. Republican=thrifty. Democrat wears through his topys=lazy. Republican=busy. Democrat has staffer take shoes out to be repaired=class warfare. Republican=smart delegation of duties. Democrat wears bespoke=elitism. Republican=good taste and discernment. What a commie. Next thing you know we'll find out he wears $520 Italian loafers.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zacha
I just bought a pair of the Grenson Salisbury, and after doing a lot of reading old posts debating topy vs. no topy, decided I would head to Felix's Shoe Repair (Cambridge, MA).

Let me know how it comes out. I was thinking of bringing a pair to him too!

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greyinla

Democrat wears topys=cheap. Republican=thrifty.
Democrat wears through his topys=lazy. Republican=busy.
Democrat has staffer take shoes out to be repaired=class warfare. Republican=smart delegation of duties.
Democrat wears bespoke=elitism. Republican=good taste and discernment.

You left out "contrived, to make someone look like a 'man of the people'"

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngScholar
Imagine the outrage were Obama to wear bespoke.
sarcasm.gif

Or were the Democratic campaign to buy Biden $150,000 worth of clothes, tax-free.

Just sayin.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Campaigning is not good for your shoes and clothes, there is a lot of wear and tear that you cannot avoid. Seeing Sen. Obama, I won't say he is a slob, just a candidate for the highest office in his country who has no time or energy to make wardrobe maintenance.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only on SF would you hear people pondering a person's legitimatcy for presideential based on their shoe miantenence routines.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads