• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tops that go with linen trousers

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Getting towards time to start thinking about spring.

linen trousers (as separates) ... Particularly dressier ones as opposed to drawstrings or something...
Is it stylistically congruent to wear with an Oxford cloth shirt? Or is it better to stick to linen shirts, or finer cotton? to avoid looking "top-heavy"?

How about t-shirts and polos? They are obviously "summery" and I think they can look ok with linen trousers even though they are a thicker material, or do they still look unbalanced?

All linen...

PXL_20230306_153830484.jpg

Oxford shirt with linen trousers/ jacket - is the shirt "summer" enough or does it look badly matched/ balanced?

PXL_20230306_154334784.jpg

Smart-ish linen trousers look ok with t-shirts and polo even though they are different levels of formal - right?

PXL_20230306_160105829.jpg

PXL_20230306_154752210.jpg

Last edited:

tilesomoole

Reaction score
In my view the linen shirt looks better than the oxford, though the oxford is wearable if the temp. is amenable.

An S&M oxford? I may be entirely alone in holding this opinion, but I find the collars on those to be a little too big - to the point that they can be distracting visually. Instead of a nice collar roll, they have a sort of "horn of plenty on either side of my neck", or "non-functional wind induction scoop" look. Of course, I have a shorter neck than most guys my height, so that could be a factor.

I think the polo and overshirt look fine, though for spring and summer I might opt for something a little brighter, like an off-white pant with the dark polo, etc.

Hopefully my inane rambling has helped you in some way.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
In my view the linen shirt looks better than the oxford, though the oxford is wearable if the temp. is amenable.

An S&M oxford? I may be entirely alone in holding this opinion, but I find the collars on those to be a little too big - to the point that they can be distracting visually. Instead of a nice collar roll, they have a sort of "horn of plenty on either side of my neck", or "non-functional wind induction scoop" look. Of course, I have a shorter neck than most guys my height, so that could be a factor.

I think the polo and overshirt look fine, though for spring and summer I might opt for something a little brighter, like an off-white pant with the dark polo, etc.

Hopefully my inane rambling has helped you in some way.
Thanks for the feedback. The Oxford is Drakes, and yes they do have long collars, as do the S+M ones, I think they are supposed to roll outwards rather that curve in as it is in this picture.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A silk-blend polo shirt probably is the best polo shirt to wear with (creased, non-drawstring) linen trousers. After that, a very smooth cotton or linen-cotton polo. 100% linen head-to-toe (or ankle) is a bit out there.

A tee shirt is not recommended. Too different a "level of formal."

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
A silk-blend polo shirt probably is the best polo shirt to wear with (creased, non-drawstring) linen trousers. After that, a very smooth cotton or linen-cotton polo. 100% linen head-to-toe (or ankle) is a bit out there.

A tee shirt is not recommended. Too different a "level of formal."
A silk-blend polo shirt? Sounds interesting, I don't own such a thing but am now intrigued by the prospect. Any makers that you can recommend?

tilesomoole

Reaction score
A silk-blend polo shirt? Sounds interesting, I don't own such a thing but am now intrigued by the prospect. Any makers that you can recommend?
Here's a silk-wool-cashmere blend. I just got one in the mail a week or so ago. It's very luxe, the softest non-undergarment I have at this point. This is one of those new-fangled buttonless jobs, but they have standard plackets in the same fabric if you're interested.

Also, I think linen top and bottom can work perfectly. Just google some outfits, try on a number of them, and see what speaks to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads