• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOPPERS SHOES LONDON

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
I am starting this thread in the hope of learning as much as I can about Toppers Shoes of London. It's my understanding that Steven (Stephen ?) Topper had his first shop on Shaftsbury Avenue, then later shops on Carnaby Street and the Kings Road. I was a customer at one of the shops on Carnaby Street, but can't remember visiting a Toppers anywhere else. Any information would be very much appreciated.

NMac

Reaction score
As you can see from the attached card Carnaby Street came later. I used to buy my shoes at t

he Qeensway branch in 1964.

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
Wow - what a cool card ?
Any idea when the Queensway shop closed ?
I knew there was a shop in the Kings Road, but not Queeensway or Coventry Street
Was it on the same side as Whiteleys or further up ?
I never really started going Up West from East London until the early 1970's
Never got to know Queensway until much later about 1976.

Any idea what happened Stephen Topper, I had a pal ask Lloyd Johnson but he didn't know ?

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
So I'm wondering if the Carnaby Street shop replaced either Coventry Street or Queensway ? Eventually there would be two Carnaby Street shops, there's a photo of Highway 61- Blonsde on Blonde era Bob Dylan in one of them !

NMac

Reaction score
It was on the opposite side to Whiteleys and nearer the Bayswater road end. I do not know when it closed or what happened to Steve Topper, who I remember reading was the son who came up with all the new designs. I have looked on the internet from time to time and come up with nothing.

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
Cheers Nmac if I find anything out I will post it here and let you know.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Used to get them cheap off a stall, think it was 'Mick's', on Church St market off Edgwere Rd. Think they were seconds but it matter not to a fourteen year old.

Last edited:

motojobobo

Reaction score
Hmmm...can't add any info on Topper in the UK but I know that that same brand was huge in Argentina during the 70s, 80s, 90s. Mostly made sneakers, or possibly, exclusively sneakers. They were used for all sorts of sports activities: tennis, indoor soccer, basketball, etc. An era where sneakers weren't so specialized, as nowadays. I bet Topper in Argentina was a sidekick of Topper in the UK, where UK capital played a strong role.

This is their current website:

http://www.topper.com.ar/hombre/calzado.html

They are still going strong over there. Anyway, not sure whether this aside would be of interest to the thread.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
What years would that have been Jimmy ?

As long as we're on about the same Shoes, crepe soul with leather uppers that often came in garish colours and whatnot? Big round toe on them? It'd have been around 73?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am starting this thread in the hope of learning as much as I can about Toppers Shoes of London. It's my understanding that Steven (Stephen ?) Topper had his first shop on Shaftsbury Avenue, then later shops on Carnaby Street and the Kings Road. I was a customer at one of the shops on Carnaby Street, but can't remember visiting a Toppers anywhere else. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Natty I am really pleased you started this thread as I have also always wanted to know more about this subject.

Mod to Suedehead debated Toppers off and on and I'll try to find the links.

I might also be able to track down a picture of my 1971 pair, which I bought in the Carnaby Street shop next to Ravels.

Last edited:

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
Well you've described the basic style, a bubble toe lace up with a side almost semi circular suede insert and a crepe soled wedge. But as far as colour goes I am thinking that they only came in two colors. An all Ox-Blood with a suede side insert (also ox-blood, burt a shade or two lighter when new) and a black lace up which I never owned which came with a light grey suede insert. I am of the opinion that all other similar styled shoes were "snides".

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
Mr Knightley I started it after scrolling through the Mod to Suedehead thread - hoping that more might be learned. I'm still hoping...

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
Yes I have and word is that Sweet Jane may have made contact with the legendary Mr Topper, watch that spot !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads