• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Topline is hurting.

carve

Reaction score
How can you fix a hurting topline. Its just below the ankle on the side of one of my feet. Its a new shoe so i wonder if its just a matter of breaking them in. I would like to avoid a heel wedge, I some how feel its a pity in nice shoe but i could be wrong.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
had the same problem before... curious to see what more experienced users here say. does that mean the shoes just don't fit very well? I remember some C&J loafers I bought on sale years ago hurt like hell and took forever to break in.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your description is a bit unclear, is the pressure caused sideways or from below? Is it on the outside effecting the ankle bone?

The outside ankle bone is always lower than the inside one. Shoe design should take that into account and have the topline lower on the outside than on the inside. Maybe that particular shoe doesn't do that or maybe your bone is particular low. You've mentioned 'wedge' that means you're already on the right track. You can't lower the top line by just cutting a bit off, it will be a terrible mess. So your foot needs raising. A skilled shoe-repairer can create a leather wedge that will rise from zero to the required height (I presume 2 mm will be sufficient) and glue it underneath the 'sock' (insole lining).

carve

Reaction score
Your description is a bit unclear, is the pressure caused sideways or from below? Is it on the outside effecting the ankle bone?

The outside ankle bone is always lower than the inside one. Shoe design should take that into account and have the topline lower on the outside than on the inside. Maybe that particular shoe doesn't do that or maybe your bone is particular low. You've mentioned 'wedge' that means you're already on the right track. You can't lower the top line by just cutting a bit off, it will be a terrible mess. So your foot needs raising. A skilled shoe-repairer can create a leather wedge that will rise from zero to the required height (I presume 2 mm will be sufficient) and glue it underneath the 'sock' (insole lining).
Pressure is coming from below and it hits just where the bone is sticking out.

carve

Reaction score

Do you Know if that would compromise the Construction in any way? Is it reccomended with a 700 usd shoe?
Right now im using compeed plaster and with that i can walk without feeling much. I hope it will be enough and that its just a matter of breaking in the shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads