1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Topcoat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by WJTW, Mar 6, 2005.

1. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

Although I don't think I will ever need an topcoat in Singapore (where it is always hot, although perhaps it might be useful for rainy days...), I might need it someday when I go overseas.

How long should the topcoat be? My height is 1.7 metres (approx. 5 ft 7 inch). Should the topcoat be slightly below the knee (say, 1 or 2 inches) or much longer?

Can topcoats be lengthened by tailors (when I grow taller, maybe?) What if there are no extra fabric to lengthen it? Is it still possible?

What type of topcoat should I get? One with collars and lapels (like a suit jacket) or just collars? Which is more formal?

Thanks,
    WJTW

2. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

IMO, a topcoat should fall at least to the knees; I prefer a few inches (4-5) inches below the knee. Shorter guys may want to go somewhat shorter though. As for collars, they are similar to suit coats (or tuxedo coats) -- single and double breasted; peaks; shawl collars, etc. My personal favorite (and the warmest style) is double breasted cashmere or heavy wool in navy blue or charcoal or black.

By the way, today I saw a very tall guy wearing one of those 3/4 coats -- sort of a very short topcoat -- falling around mid-thigh, and I thought it looked very silly on him. Like he was wearing a shrunken topcoat. The humongous clown-like, square-toed shoes didn't help, I suppose.

3. fkl118

fkl118 Senior Member

When you grow taller? How old are you? If you're still growing and you're only going to be wearing a topcoat maybe once in a while, you might consider holding off on purchasing one.