• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Topcoat advice

dave11

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Longtime lurker here, have learned a ton.

I need some advice about topcoats. Now that I own some nice suits and shoes, I need a good topcoat for bad weather days.

In my closet, I found from years ago a black knee-length topcoat, labelled "Nino Cerruti 100% Pure Wool." I have no idea where it came from, I don't think it has ever been worn. It is a 40s, and I always wear a 40reg, so I think someone gave this to me. Nonetheless, it comes down to just past my knees. I'm 6' tall.

It fits okay in the shoulders and sleeves, but billows way out around the middle. I always need my shirts tapered at the waist, and I think to look proper, this coat would need to be brought in as well. But it seems its not a particularly nice coat to start with, right?

Would anyone here spend any money on it, or should I give it away and buy one that fits better? The topcoats on suitsupply seem nice, and also they taper well, but haven't seen much written about their topcoats.

All advice appreciated.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How should we know if it's a nice coat or not? If you like it, then have a tailor bring the waist in a little. Pics would he helpful.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How should we know if it's a nice coat or not? If you like it, then have a tailor bring the waist in a little. Pics would he helpful.

+1 - the original post is of minimal use.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Take the coat to a tailor and have the sides pinned to show you how the coat will look tapered. If you like the look, have it altered. Keep this one as a beater winter coat that you use on nasty, rainy, snowy days. It's like a free coat you found and will be useful in bad weather like you mentioned in your post. Topcoats get splashed with water, get dirty, are exposed to salt from winter snow. This coat will come in handy and all for the price of an alteration.
Now you have some time to shop for a new top coat. Get something other than black. WIll be more versatile, less formal. RTW topcoats generally aren't too fitted, you will probably need the new one tapered at the waist too.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 62 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 119 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 105 29.5%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 38 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%