• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Ten Films of '09

Dentata

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I'm not coming up with ten but I think A Serious Man was my favorite of 2009.

Originally Posted by Piato
I agree. The elements of the film are so understated that it takes a couple viewing to understand its brilliance. Possibly their best movies.

I want to see it so bad.
frown.gif
Stupid limited release.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can a Serious Man be enjoyed by someone who is not religious?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
eh, The Blind Side was about it for me. Not that I was at the theater a whole lot this year, but still.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Entres les murs (English title: The Class) was probably the best film I saw this year.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've yet to hear a bad thing about Big River Man but I haven't seen it.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You guys never watch non-****** movies?

Land of the Lost.

laughwithm3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dentata
11. Where the Wild Things Are
10. Adventureland
9. Bad Lieutenant: POCNO
8. Fantastic Mr. Fox
7. The Informant
6. Public Enemies
5. Moon
4. Coraline
3. Brothers Bloom
2. An Education
1. Inglourious Basterds

what the ****? obviously you have not seen many films came out this year and this list is beyond absurd.
First of all, how did "District 9" and "Star Trek" not make the list, while Where the wild things are and Public Enemies did. those are the two worst movies i have sat through this year.
Inglorious Basterds was good, but far from being No.1 movie of the year.
I would give the top 3 to Hurt Locker, District 9 and Up in the Air (Zombieland and The hangover are up there for pure entertainment) , as for animated movies, Ponyo , Up and CLoudy with a chance of meet balls are top 3

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hmm.... lets see.

Bad Liutenant POCNO
The Hurt Locker
Julia
Observe And Report
The Brothers Bloom
Sunshine Cleaning
Adventureland
District 9
Fish Story
Pandorum

Special mentions: Anvil! The Story of Anvil, Inglourious Basterds, Star Trek, Moon

Haven't seen some of the ones I think might eventually make it on my list yet:

The Road
The White Ribbon
Crazy Heart
Antichrist
Precious
etc.

Piato

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Can a Serious Man be enjoyed by someone who is not religious?

Definitely--reviewers played up the religious angle because of the Coen Bros' upbringing, but it has much more to do with agnosticism and how people think of events as morally determined. Just as important as the religious doubt is the late 60s setting and coming to terms with the "new freedoms."

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw Invictus last night. Well acted, but it is long and the pacing is VERY slow. The key element of a movie is the story telling. The story here is good, but it isn't well told IMO. Not sure how I would improve it given the content, jus sayin'. The second half of the movie is better, but still pretty slow. The first half borders on mind-numbing.

imightbechad

Reaction score
I just watched UP, and I don't really get the hype. It was heartwarming, and the animation was beautiful, but something about it seemed a little off to me.

On another note, Fantastic Mr. Fox was ******* incredible. After seeing the trailer, I wanted nothing to do with it, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. The perfect medium for Anderson's idiosyncratic "message."

spencers

Reaction score
In no particular order (I don't feel like rating)--
- Hurt Locker
- New York I Love You
- Up
- Moon
- District 9
- Star Trek
- Terminator Salvation
- (500) Days of Summer
- Spread

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads