Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Top Steakhouses

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by drizzt3117, Aug 24, 2006.

1. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I looked at their website. Menu looks good. Major typo on the wine list though. They list Burgundy as "Bergundy"

Damn website designers.......................

Murray's, downtown Minneapolis. (26 6th St. South)
    http://www.murraysrestaurant.com/home.html

2. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Well-Known Member

My favorite was Delmonico in Las Vegas, but the steak at Sel de la Terre in Boston was pretty good, too.

3. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

Alfred's in S.F. served the best steak I've had while eating out. Also, the ambience is nice, and the waitstaff very accomodating. Their house cut is a species of porterhouse, IIRC.

In L.A., I still like Tana's: they've been a little inconsistent, but at their best are competitive with the other, better-known places. The Dabney Coleman (a 16-oz NY strip) is the way to go there.

In Pasadena, Drizzt is right on about Arroyo Chop House. I've yet to try JJ's--but my wife and I have designated it our next "big date" location. Has anyone been to JJ's since the remodel?

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Alfred's in S.F. served the best steak I've had while eating out. Also, the ambience is nice, and the waitstaff very accomodating. Their house cut is a species of porterhouse, IIRC.

In L.A., I still like Tana's: they've been a little inconsistent, but at their best are competitive with the other, better-known places. The Dabney Coleman (a 16-oz NY strip) is the way to go there.

In Pasadena, Drizzt is right on about Arroyo Chop House. I've yet to try JJ's--but my wife and I have designated it our next "big date" location. Has anyone been to JJ's since the remodel?

I have been to the new JJs, it's quite nice. The food is as good as ever and the ambiance is improved.

5. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

If you are ever in OKC, there is a small place just north of the city called Boulevard Steakhouse. I had the pleasure of meeting up with fellow SF member Duveen over dinner at this restaurant. I think he might give it a local endorsement as well.

6. ccc123

ccc123 Senior member

sparks over PL, I also had a ribeye at Ben and Jacks, and while it was not the best I have ever had, it was very very good!, and the sevice was fantastic!

7. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    Over the years, I've eaten at most of the places mentioned here.

My experience is that once you get to a certain quality threshold, they're all alike. Can't say I ever had a bad meal. But I can't say I ever had one that was so memorable I can't wait to go back.

8. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I've been to Captial Grille and Vic and Anothony's in Houston. I had bone-in ribeye at CG and the ribeye at VA. I think VA is a lot better then CG. Capital Grille didn't have much taste.

9. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I've been to Captial Grille and Vic and Anothony's in Houston. I had bone-in ribeye at CG and the ribeye at VA. I think VA is a lot better then CG. Capital Grille didn't have much taste.

Yes, I've been to both in Houston and they are very good.

I'd rate Pappas Steak House in their league as well. Mortons across from the Galleria too.

One step below, but a lot of fun (good piano bar and sightseeing) is Sullivans on San Felipe.

10. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

11. flyindarkness

flyindarkness Senior member

Donovans, La Jolla

+1, please dress up... I went in jeans and felt so out of place.

12. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

I would say though, that the best steaks I've personally had were USDA Prime filets from Omaha Steaks that I grilled myself.

I don't see how.

A home kitchen simply doesn't have the same access to the high heat needed to get the same sear on a steak that you'd get at a steakhouse.

Plus, you're not using the same top quality ingredients as those top tier steakhouses, especially with Omaha Steaks. You can probably do a lot better and avoid the frozen stuff from Omaha, which compromises the quality. Even then, its unlikely you'd have the same access to the best stuff that those steakhouses can get. The suppliers are always going to sell their best stuff to the steakhouses who primarily buy their stuff. (Peter Luger butcher shop sells steaks, but at those prices, you might as well dine at Peter Luger.)

Maybe, if we're talking about a average steakhouse, I could see your point. But, not with some of the places you listed.

13. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

I have heard great things about Jak's Grill in West Seattle, Laurelhurst, and Issaquah, but have yet to eat there. Does anyone in Seattle have experience with this place?

http://jaksgrill.com/

Bic

14. SantosLHalper

SantosLHalper Senior member

Ray's The Steaks, just outside of DC, is great. The hand-cut strip is awesome, provided that you can put up with the service and decor.

15. Brad

Brad Senior member

St. Elmo is good, and probably the best Indianapolis has to offer, but I don't think it's great. The shrimp cocktail makes the meal worthwhile, though.

If I wanted to have a very nice meal in Indianapolis (well, Carmel), I'd much rather go to The Glass Chimney.