1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Top Steakhouses

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by drizzt3117, Aug 24, 2006.

1. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Senior member

How do you feel about Bone's, Ken?

Right up there with Ruth's Chris (and in fact, many better sides-the onion rings, the lobster bisque and the corn souffle [but no one beats Ruth's Chris salad dressings, IMO]). I did not mention Bone's since it is a one restaurant operation in Atlanta.
    I am booked to eat at Smith & Wollensky in NY on Labor Day evening.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Right up there with Ruth's Chris (and in fact, many better sides-the onion rings, the lobster bisque and the corn souffle [but no one beats Ruth's Chris salad dressings, IMO]). I did not mention Bone's since it is a one restaurant operation in Atlanta.
    I am booked to eat at Smith & Wollensky in NY on Labor Day evening.

Just out of curiosity, what cuts have you had at Morton's? I even find their double-cut filets to have good flavor and that's nowhere near a traditionally flavorful cut...

3. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Senior member

Just out of curiosity, what cuts have you had at Morton's? I even find their double-cut filets to have good flavor and that's nowhere near a traditionally flavorful cut...

I have tried the big filet and the strip. I am not sure if they all cook them this way, but the two Morton's in Atlanta seem to throw the steaks down onto the brickets and the chacoal dust on the meat messes up the flavor, IMO. Not fond of the Saran-wrap presentation, either.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I have tried the big filet and the strip. I am not sure if they all cook them this way, but the two Morton's in Atlanta seem to throw the steaks down onto the brickets and the chacoal dust on the meat messes up the flavor, IMO. Not fond of the Saran-wrap presentation, either.

Ah, I've never eaten at the Morton's in Atl, but the Chicago, Las Vegas, and Orange County Morton's have all been good for me. You may want to try one of the bone-in cuts next time you stop by.

5. dusty

dusty Senior member

I've always been partial to Shoney's.

6. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Smith & Wollensky (several locations)

Smith and Wollensky is being sued by their waitstaff due to the fact that the manangement has been skimming off the tips. Shame on them; I say BOYCOTT!

7. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I am declaring this Steak Week 2006 on Styleforum!!!![​IMG]

8. DNW

DNW Senior member

My vote is Joe's in Chicago. I've eaten at all the top steak houses in Boston, along with the typical chains (Morton's, Ruth, etc). Joe's topped them all with their bone-in fillet. I've yet to try Luger's in NYC but will definitely do so for my next visit.

9. bch

bch Senior member

Wow, 12 replies and no votes for Bern's in Tampa.

You beat me to it. Ambience is awesome and makes it more an event than just dinner. Wine cellar tour is entertaining. The dessert room is great, too.

Morton's, WPB is great. Been to Shula's a couple times and Shula's on the Beach. Unfortunately, overrated imo.

10. saint

saint Senior member

The WSJ had an article a couple of months ago on steakhouses, very few have aged prime steaks. Its definitely worth calling ahead to find out if the steakhouse you are going to has any aged prime steaks on the menu that evening.

BTW, I don't understand why people think bone-in filets are all that great, the filet is a tender but pretty much tasteless piece of steak, bone-in or not. Unless it is served with a flavorful sauce (eg marchand du vin), or cooked in a way that changes its blandness (eg au poivre) it is just boring and tender, you might as well be eating Spam.

11. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I looked at their website. Menu looks good. Major typo on the wine list though. They list Burgundy as "Bergundy"

Damn website designers.......................

Murray's, downtown Minneapolis. (26 6th St. South)
    http://www.murraysrestaurant.com/home.html

12. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Well-Known Member

My favorite was Delmonico in Las Vegas, but the steak at Sel de la Terre in Boston was pretty good, too.

13. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

Alfred's in S.F. served the best steak I've had while eating out. Also, the ambience is nice, and the waitstaff very accomodating. Their house cut is a species of porterhouse, IIRC.

In L.A., I still like Tana's: they've been a little inconsistent, but at their best are competitive with the other, better-known places. The Dabney Coleman (a 16-oz NY strip) is the way to go there.

In Pasadena, Drizzt is right on about Arroyo Chop House. I've yet to try JJ's--but my wife and I have designated it our next "big date" location. Has anyone been to JJ's since the remodel?

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Alfred's in S.F. served the best steak I've had while eating out. Also, the ambience is nice, and the waitstaff very accomodating. Their house cut is a species of porterhouse, IIRC.

In L.A., I still like Tana's: they've been a little inconsistent, but at their best are competitive with the other, better-known places. The Dabney Coleman (a 16-oz NY strip) is the way to go there.

In Pasadena, Drizzt is right on about Arroyo Chop House. I've yet to try JJ's--but my wife and I have designated it our next "big date" location. Has anyone been to JJ's since the remodel?

I have been to the new JJs, it's quite nice. The food is as good as ever and the ambiance is improved.

15. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

If you are ever in OKC, there is a small place just north of the city called Boulevard Steakhouse. I had the pleasure of meeting up with fellow SF member Duveen over dinner at this restaurant. I think he might give it a local endorsement as well.

16. ccc123

ccc123 Senior member

sparks over PL, I also had a ribeye at Ben and Jacks, and while it was not the best I have ever had, it was very very good!, and the sevice was fantastic!

17. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    Over the years, I've eaten at most of the places mentioned here.

My experience is that once you get to a certain quality threshold, they're all alike. Can't say I ever had a bad meal. But I can't say I ever had one that was so memorable I can't wait to go back.

18. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I've been to Captial Grille and Vic and Anothony's in Houston. I had bone-in ribeye at CG and the ribeye at VA. I think VA is a lot better then CG. Capital Grille didn't have much taste.

19. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I've been to Captial Grille and Vic and Anothony's in Houston. I had bone-in ribeye at CG and the ribeye at VA. I think VA is a lot better then CG. Capital Grille didn't have much taste.

Yes, I've been to both in Houston and they are very good.

I'd rate Pappas Steak House in their league as well. Mortons across from the Galleria too.

One step below, but a lot of fun (good piano bar and sightseeing) is Sullivans on San Felipe.

20. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member