• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top six shoe styles to have?

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't find what I want using the search function.

If you were starting a shoe collection from scratch what would you buy in order of importance from one to six or eight?

I'd start with a black captoe, then a dark brown captoe, then maybe a semi-brogue brown suede. Where would you go for the next half dozen or so?

I'm open to oxfords, derbies, monks, boots and loafers. (I have in mind C and J's catalogue as a guide)

Thanks

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those you mentioned plus two types I really get alot of use out of:
some sort of spectator /two tone or alternating leather shoe
brown/white or brown /brown or canvas/linen combo
some kind of calf/suede halfboot

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My preference:

1. Black plain cap oxford
2. Brown semi brogue oxford
3. Brown boot on a rubber sole
4. Brown chelsea / jodhpur
5. Black chelsea / jodhpur
6. Brown plain derby/gibson

I tend to wear boots most frequently, but the black and brown oxfords will cover most situations.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not counting casuals or rubersoled ...

C&J:
1. Boswell (you have ...)
2. Audley (you have ...)
3. Weymouth (personal fave)
4. Seymour (prefer the 337 to the 348)
5. Stanley (more temting to me than the Aintree)
6. Leeds or Madox ... (ONSLOW)

7. loafer
8. boot or chukka (if apliccabel in your climate)

my2c

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm embarassed to say that I don't have a single pair of black dress shoes. Eventually I'll need to get one to wear with a tuxedo, but my heart won't be in it and I'll probably get a pair of Allen-Edmonds or Aldens just to get it over with.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm embarassed to say that I don't have a single pair of black dress shoes. Eventually I'll need to get one to wear with a tuxedo, but my heart won't be in it and I'll probably get a pair of Allen-Edmonds or Aldens just to get it over with.

I just returned from a funeral. Wearing black shoes was the only choice (AE Byrons).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
I just returned from a funeral. Wearing black shoes was the only choice (AE Byrons).

Sympathies. Admittedly, I haven't been to many funerals. Sober, dark brown shoes won't do?

tlmusic

Reaction score
I would have felt really out of place wearing any brown shoes, even the really dark kind. Every male at the funeral was wearing black shoes.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got a pair of black cap toes from Martegani on their 3B last and love them. a nice alternative in shape to those you mentioned.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I just got a pair of black cap toes from Martegani on their 3B last and love them. a nice alternative in shape to those you mentioned.

Probably, but those would also cost more, right? Like I said, my heart's not in it when comes to black shoes. I don't like them and don't want to wear them unless forced to, so I'd rather buy as cheap as reasonably possible.

In terms of shape, I actually quite like Alden's Plaza last. If I could bribe them effectively, I'd have Alden make me #8 cordovan longwings on the Plaza last with a single sole.

tlmusic

Reaction score
If I could bribe them effectively, I'd have Alden make me #8 cordovan longwings on the Plaza last with a single sole.

Last year, I was told by an Alden dealer that Alden will make special orders. Be prepared for a long wait. So, maybe they could make exactly that shoe for you. It sounds like a great combination of features!

Maybe someone who has had a special make-up by Alden could offer info.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sympathies. Admittedly, I haven't been to many funerals. Sober, dark brown shoes won't do?
No. Not for you. Funerals are one of the places where black shoes are not just appropriate, but expected if you are considering what is correct (and a funeral is the kind of place where trying to be correct is not just appropriate, but the right thing to do). You will know and will probably regret that you don't have black shoes.

Separately, I think you should have them for work. If I am not mistaken, you are beginning a career in big law. If they deliver on the "client contact" that is always promised, you may very well find yourself in the kind of settings where formal business dress is required. Not always, but sometimes. In those circumstances, your Rubinacci suits and Matuozza suits will just make you look like a "dresser" if they are also coupled with a pair of brown shoes rather than a more sober business black. While people will likely forgive someone in ill fitting suits and clunky black KC shoes as someone who knows nothing about dress, you will stand out as someone who spends time and money on clothes but also likes to be a bit flash. But if you wear the suits and shirts with a sober tie and classic black shoes, you will stand out as someone who is well dressed and considers the occasion and setting with respect. In my mind, that is a good thing for an associate.

Now all of this is just one man's opinion, and maybe just a minority one. It is also an opinion on a subject that is, in the scheme of things, relatively trivial. But since you are already spending this much time, effort and money on your appearance, you might as well know how some will perceive you.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brown shoes at a funeral would be bad form.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For work, I mostly wear black shoes for work with an occasional dark chocolate brown calf or suede; and always lace ups.

So I would get 4 black pairs lace ups in differing oxford styles with oir without broguing, maybe a derby style, possibly the split toe or whole cut style. I would get a darkest chocolate brown calf oxford cap toe and a darkest brown suede oxford cap toe (These I would definitely get broguing or perforations on). But this is highly dependant on who you are and what you do. The less serious, traditional or stuffy the profession, the less likely black shoes will be required.

As for casual, your life style determines this a lot. No reason to suggest suede penny loafers if you go moshing every night.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
No. Not for you. Funerals are one of the places where black shoes are not just appropriate, but expected if you are considering what is correct (and a funeral is the kind of place where trying to be correct is not just appropriate, but the right thing to do). You will know and will probably regret that you don't have black shoes. Separately, I think you should have them for work. If I am not mistaken, you are beginning a career in big law. If they deliver on the "client contact" that is always promised, you may very well find yourself in the kind of settings where formal business dress is required. Not always, but sometimes. In those circumstances, your Rubinacci suits and Matuozza suits will just make you look like a "dresser" if they are also coupled with a pair of brown shoes rather than a more sober business black. While people will likely forgive someone in ill fitting suits and clunky black KC shoes as someone who knows nothing about dress, you will stand out as someone who spends time and money on clothes but also likes to be a bit flash. But if you wear the suits and shirts with a sober tie and classic black shoes, you will stand out as someone who is well dressed and considers the occasion and setting with respect. In my mind, that is a good thing for an associate. Now all of this is just one man's opinion, and maybe just a minority one. It is also an opinion on a subject that is, in the scheme of things, relatively trivial. But since you are already spending this much time, effort and money on your appearance, you might as well know how some will perceive you.
+1000 LOL, he has you cornered there
biggrin.gif
But JL, EG et all have nice simple captoes, one pait would be my 1.st priority. (Before a Rubinachi coat
wink.gif
) Oh and some white shirts are a must, and toned ties in acordance of wether you are defending or opposing ... (Weering of toppic) imho, all the best Speed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads