• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top shelf on a student budget

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Gordon's gin is awful. There's got to be a better option then that.

I am a fan of New Amsterdam gin. Currently on sale for $16.99/1.75L at the liquor store a few blocks from my office. I keep some plymouth on hand for when I want to splurge, but New Amsterdam works for me in anything shy of a martini.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Russian vodka is a great deal. I alternate btwn that and Stoli....

Andrewc2232

Reaction score
+1 for New Amsterdam. My goto gin for the last couple years. Very cheap and really solid.

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
I've been spending a lot of time doing research on this... prices estimated for 750s
Vodka:
Sobieski $11
Monopolowa $13
Luksosowa $20/1.75
Tito's $18

Gin:
New Amsterdam $18/1.75
Gordon's $15/1.75 (for mixing only)
Monopolowa Gin $15
Pinnacle $20/1.75
Bombay $18 (and Sapphire is $22 where I am)

Gin is very personal so taste around. I like the Monopolowa but it's only in 750s.

Rum:
Sailor Jerry's $16
Flor de Cana 4yr $14
Mount Gay Eclipse $19 but $25/1.75

Tequila:
El Ultimo $20
Real Hacienda $15
Espolon $20

Whiskey:
Wild Turkey Rye $19
Old Forester (Delicious spicy rye taste) $16 ($20 for the 100 proof)
WL Weller (Delicious smooth wheat taste) $15 ($19 for the 7yr)
Buffalo Trace if you want top shelf taste $22

Other than EW Black $12, the other budget models I'd approve of are Kentucky Gentleman ($9) and Ten High ($10) but I would never willingly buy them anymore.

Whisky:
Teacher's Highland Cream (only good $20 scotch I've found)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Awesome list, thanks.

On a sidenote, has anybody tried the Kraken rum? It's right around $20 here and though it has some good reviews online, I'm still afraid that it might be marketing over substance.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arms_Akimbo

Tequila:
El Ultimo $20
Real Hacienda $15
Espolon $20

Gah- you're a braver man than I. Espolon is the only one that I'd touch, and it would still be margaritas instead of sipping.

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
With tequila, you pretty much get what you pay for (except Patron). $20 is a hard limit, do you have any other suggestions for stuff that's commonly available? Everything else around that price is like Sauza, Cuervo, blech. Hacienda Vieja, 30-30 and Jimador are ones I've heard of but not tried.

edit: Kraken is a solid choice for a dark rum. It's going to be really sweet and taste like molasses. Dark rum is hard to mess up because the molasses flavors it so heavily. I prefer gold rum over the other types (white and spiced) because it's more versatile but YMMV.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arms_Akimbo
With tequila, you pretty much get what you pay for (except Patron). $20 is a hard limit, do you have any other suggestions for stuff that's commonly available? Everything else around that price is like Sauza, Cuervo, blech. Hacienda Vieja, 30-30 and Jimador are ones I've heard of but not tried.

edit: Kraken is a solid choice for a dark rum. It's going to be really sweet and taste like molasses. Dark rum is hard to mess up because the molasses flavors it so heavily. I prefer gold rum over the other types (white and spiced) because it's more versatile but YMMV.

Kraken is spiced.

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
I pulled up a pic of a bottle and it looks like you're right. When I think of spiced I think of the Captain Morgan type stuff with not much cane flavor but rum's not really my thing and I had the Kraken with some coke.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge whiskey fan. In university some friends and I brewed our own beer, so that opened up my ability to buy more expensive liquor. For a non-ridiculous blended scotch I stuck with Green Label from Johnnie Walker. I didn't drink often, and so I could nurse a bottle quite awhile. I tried the others from the Walker offering, but Green was by far the best. (I never tried Blue though... )

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
I'm a huge whiskey fan. In university some friends and I brewed our own beer, so that opened up my ability to buy more expensive liquor. For a non-ridiculous blended scotch I stuck with Green Label from Johnnie Walker. I didn't drink often, and so I could nurse a bottle quite awhile. I tried the others from the Walker offering, but Green was by far the best. (I never tried Blue though... )

Green isn't a blend. Its the only single malt in the line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads