Top quality belts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by foto010101, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I'll pay for exotic or rare leathers ....but will not pay for names (Hermes)
    While you will pay a surcharge for their name, you will not find a belt which is better made than Hermes. They should not be confused with other designer brands as they operate their own workrooms and employ world class artisans. That said, for comparable quality at a lower price I'd go with Bea at April in Paris. She used to work for Hermes. [​IMG]

2. Broadway

Broadway Member

I agree re: price vs. quality. I have a J Crew belt I bought in a discount store 10 years ago, I wear it 3 times per week, and it looks great and has held up beautifully.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

While you will pay a surcharge for their name, you will not find a belt which is better made than Hermes. They should not be confused with other designer brands as they operate their own workrooms and employ world class artisans. That said, for comparable quality at a lower price I'd go with Bea at April in Paris. She used to work for Hermes. [​IMG]
    Also, the skins they use are beautiful. Even in a black calf, they are obviously nicer than what you find elsewhere. Beatrice uses skins from the same tanneries, and they are lovely as well. There is a HUGE difference between Beatrice/Hermes and an expensive belt that you find at Neiman Marcus, it is night and day. Bea is also great to work with.

4. Tiberias

Tiberias Active Member

+1 on stitched or solid belts. My glued reversible belt is in the process of falling apart, after less than a few months of wearings, the second time that's happened. The leather comes loose at the belt holes first, then starts coming up down the length of the belt. No more reversibles and no more glued belts for me.

I am also one who is not particular on price point. Lots of good affordable options out there, BR and Land's End, and thanks for posting the link to LeatherGoodsConnection, I like their custom belt options.

5. jkw

jkw Senior member

6. mxmlitvinov

mxmlitvinov Well-Known Member

I've just ordered a Dupont belt, so I do hope they're good. I had an awfully hard time tracking down a belt that met my exact specifications though - it seems very hard to find one that's a specific shade of brown, for instance, and in your style.

7. madison avenue

madison avenue Senior member

Also, the skins they use are beautiful. Even in a black calf, they are obviously nicer than what you find elsewhere. Beatrice uses skins from the same tanneries, and they are lovely as well. There is a HUGE difference between Beatrice/Hermes and an expensive belt that you find at Neiman Marcus, it is night and day. Bea is also great to work with.

Its nice to see that you support Hermes somewhere and maybe you dont hate me?

8. itsstillmatt

Its nice to see that you support Hermes somewhere and maybe you dont hate me?
    You asked for a negative comment. I am nothing, if not a people pleaser [​IMG]. I love Hermes leather goods and certain pocket squares. I just dislike their ties... with a passion.

9. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Any opinions on allen edmonds belts? I am in the market for new btls and haven't had the time to check them out in person

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

I'm working in a lot lower price range than most of you folks, but I love my belts from www.leathergoodsconnection.com.

+1. These are my favorite casual belts, moreso than Trafalgar, Lands' End, Martin Dingman, RL Polo...

11. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Howcome no one has mentioned Mont Blanc
    Because.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Nobody's mentioned Jay Kos's crocodile belts.

13. jkw

jkw Senior member

I've just ordered a Dupont belt, so I do hope they're good. I had an awfully hard time tracking down a belt that met my exact specifications though - it seems very hard to find one that's a specific shade of brown, for instance, and in your style.

I can guarantee you won't be dissappointed - everything Dupont is quality, but my belt has stood up to a lot and is still as soft and shapely as ever (despite being doublesided and the fact that I wear belts rather tight)

RJman, I don't get your post? Very mature/constructive... unless theres something I haven't read about Mont Blanc?

14. itsstillmatt

I can guarantee you won't be dissappointed - everything Dupont is quality, but my belt has stood up to a lot and is still as soft and shapely as ever (despite being doublesided and the fact that I wear belts rather tight)

RJman, I don't get your post? Very mature/constructive... unless theres something I haven't read about Mont Blanc?

I think he is trying to point out that both brands make belts whose quality is relatively mediocre but whose prices are very high. IMO, Dupont jumped the shark years ago. I used to be a fran of their lacquered lighters, but now they are just another brand.

15. robin

robin Senior member

Any opinions on allen edmonds belts? I am in the market for new btls and haven't had the time to check them out in person
    They're low-tier belts and in my opinion are not worth the full retail price (but are a good value on sale). I do have several that I wear regularly, but they don't compare to the other belts being mentioned in this thread.