Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Top quality belts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by foto010101, Feb 20, 2008.

1. foto010101

foto010101 Senior member

I have gone through all topics related to belts on this forum to find out which manufacturers make high-quality leather classic belts. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a lot of relevant information. This is strange, because a proper belt is a must for a gentleman!

Let's start a thread where we discuss high-quality leather belts. What factors contribute to a good belt and which manufacturers are the best.

2. finch

finch Senior member

Not certain what factors in but I will say this, out of all my belts Prada, Gucci, CK, Boss etc. the two that I always go back too are the two I bought from Banana Republic one black and one brown. Both are simple clean suit belts, with all the wear and tear all the stitching is intact, no pulls in the holes nor have they scuffed from my BlackBerry holster.

3. Minkous

Minkous Senior member

From my experience I find Trafalgar belts to be a great quality belt for the money. They have an array of styles, widths, leathers, buckles, and they can even be customized thru the company. Not to mention i was fairly impressed with their american alligator skin belts.

4. norton

norton Well-Known Member

If you want a well made belt take a look at high end holster makers. Many also make high quality belts. They're usually wider but you can find some 1-1/4 to 1-1/2.

5. madison avenue

madison avenue Senior member

In my opinion the best belts are Hermes belts. I own a few of their belts and a few buckles they are reversible and the quality is great. I know they are pricey each belt goes from around $550-600 up till around $900 depending how fancy you want to get but they last forever.

6. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

7. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

8. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

The mentioning of high satisfaction with Banana Republic belts confirms my impression that when it comes to belt, price does not equate quality.

Exotics leathers surely cost more, but as long as the leather is of decent quality, the buckle brass or some other durable metal (like sterling silver), and the stitching decent ( I hate the glued together belts), then the belt is good enough.

I have Coach belts, made in China, still going strong after 10+ years, with about two wearings per week. I also had a Ferragamo reversible belt that fell apart after a few wearings, splitting down the middle from a lousy "Italian" glue job.

I'll pay for exotic or rare leathers (american alligator, shell cordovan), but will not pay for names (Hermes)

9. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters OG Affiliate Vendor

10. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

My favorites are from Erreghe, Ferragamo (no bling, just really nice suede), and Sutor.

11. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Senior member

12. gvibes

gvibes Senior member

13. Haruspex

Haruspex Well-Known Member

Are suede belts only appropriate for sportswear?

14. jleeo225

jleeo225 Senior member

Not certain what factors in but I will say this, out of all my belts Prada, Gucci, CK, Boss etc. the two that I always go back too are the two I bought from Banana Republic one black and one brown. Both are simple clean suit belts, with all the wear and tear all the stitching is intact, no pulls in the holes nor have they scuffed from my BlackBerry holster.

+1 on Banana Republic belts. They are good and inexpensive.

15. tpap

tpap Member