• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top places to visit in Los Angeles?

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a resident of Los Angeles for almost four years, I can say sincerely that the only place worth visiting is the Museum of Jurassic Technology, which is one of the most amazing places in the world.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Nobody walks in LA.
True dat!!! I was at the James Perse store on Rodeo. I asked this HOT HOT sales girl if it was walkable to the Paul Smith store on Melrose. She was like "no way!!! that's like over a mile away" Needless to say, it was more like 4 miles away.. and it was hot out, and you can't just flag a cab on the street in LA, so I was dripping with sweat when I got there. To the OP... +1,000,000 on the Getty. Bring your camera. The views and the architecture are splendid. I don't know if anyone mentioned the Magic Castle if you can get in (And I don't remember the protocol for going, but someone posted it somewhere in this forum once) As a former beach volleyball player, the pier at Manhattan Beach was one of my favorite LA spots as well. For drinks, the bar at Chateau Marmont is really cool. Also, there may still be racing at Santa Anita right now, as I believe the Breeders Cup is there this year.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For those of you too young to remember:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlike other cities there are different areas to check out that are miles and miles apart...and each one has its pros and cons.

Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Downtown, Manhattan Beach, Pasadena, Hollywood, Orange County (Disneyland, South Coast)

-As a fan of both, and because they're going to be playing in October, I'd DEFINITELY check out a USC football game and Dodgers playoff game. If you're a sports fan and the schedule allows it, you should most definitely check it out

-Each section of the city previously mentioned has their fair share of touristy places, cool places, good restaurants/bars/hangouts.

-I would +1,000 the Getty. That, for sure, should be part of your visit. I also hear the newly renovated Griffith Observatory is a good hangout spot.

-B. Hills/Rodeo Drive is a very cool area to check out for shopping dining and you have a realllllly good chance of spotting a celebrity.

Regardless of what you decide, I would use the LA Magazine as a good guide for dining/drinking/shopping....they do a good job of breaking down LA IMO...

http://www.lamag.com/

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you consider it the Hollywood area, but the Loz Feliz/Silverlake/Echo Park area is where the eclectic bohemian crowd is if you're into that. Less pretentious than Williamsburg.

btz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
For the downtown sights, museums, art deco, etc. do you need a car? If so, isn't a real pain to deal with the traffic?

I was considering visiting but the expense of a rental car plus traffic is an obstacle for me. I have friends that live in Irvine and Riverside that I can stay with, but those are far from downtown (especially with traffic). Or I can get a hotel in downtown, but that costs money.

At certain times traffic is a nightmare -- other times it's 65+ MPH.

Wait until 10am before heading to LA from Irvine - traffic should be light.

Don't head back to Irvine from LA before 8pm - again traffic will be light.

amnesiacv2

Reaction score
If you're going to/from the Irvine area, it's definitely worth taking the coastal route (PCH) at least once. Since I'm going back and forth from LA to OC a few times a month, I usually opt for the longer drive, especially during daylite hours because it's about 1000x less stressful.

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
for the best burgers of your life, head over to pasadena. on the corner of california and lake, there's pie 'n burgers. if you want to try some cuban pastries and some bomb sandwiches, there's porto's in glendale off of brand and lexington. get the potato balls and a cubano sandwich
smile.gif

lexybeast

Reaction score
If you do wind up in Irvine, check out a Japanese restaurant called Fukada. I'd recommend a combo with spicy tuna don and cold soba tanuki. I believe they make fresh soba daily.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics