1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Top law school w/ Canadian ug - disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by BYucko, Jun 11, 2011.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Now that's some massive statistical evidence! ^ This was a tongue-in-cheek reply to a spam post that apparently has been spaminated. It makes no sense now. But I swear, it was really, really clever in context!

2. lxlfeng

lxlfeng Senior member

I am entering college fall this year, having a real tough time deciding between going UBC or Michigan for undergrad studies, the opportunity cost of going Mich seems way too high. I know this is a bit of a sidetrack

3. bigchris1313

bigchris1313 Senior member

lawschoolnumbers.com

An always-sobering experience. But we all have to learn the truth some time. Man, was I angry when I found out that my prestigious small liberal arts college degree meant exactly zero to law schools.

4. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

An always-sobering experience. But we all have to learn the truth some time. Man, was I angry when I found out that my prestigious small liberal arts college degree meant exactly zero to law schools.

I think saying that it means zero is probably inaccurate but it only starts meaning something when you're talking about the top three or so schools.

But lawschoolnumbers.com is a pretty great site. The stats rarely lie.

5. darks0ulz

darks0ulz Member

Are you sure? When I went to law school, 80% of each class at UofT got a B or B+. 10%-15% got As and the rest got Cs. This helped their students get top jobs in NY and Toronto. By contrast, other law schools in Ontario were in the 65% range in terms of Bs per class.
    I go to McGill for UG and I finished my 1st year with a 3.93 (I'm a science student though and am a 2nd year credit wise). My organic 2 class had a class average of 79. A 75-80 is a 3.3, 80 is 3.7 and 85 is 4.0 here. I know a bunch of people with 3.8+ here.

Grade deflation isn't really a big issue here save for a few courses which are just killer. But then bird courses/bell curves usually even things out.

I know I'm a science student and arts courses are different. I'm just offering a picture.

6. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

I go to McGill for UG and I finished my 1st year with a 3.93 (I'm a science student though and am a 2nd year credit wise). My organic 2 class had a class average of 79. A 75-80 is a 3.3, 80 is 3.7 and 85 is 4.0 here. I know a bunch of people with 3.8+ here.

Grade deflation isn't really a big issue here save for a few courses which are just killer. But then bird courses/bell curves usually even things out.

I know I'm a science student and arts courses are different. I'm just offering a picture.

Your organic chem class average is extremely high; at UBC Dr Jackie's class, w/ the highest avg of all the o-chem classes, averaged 63% when my cousin took it a few years ago.

7. darks0ulz

darks0ulz Member

Your organic chem class average is extremely high; at UBC Dr Jackie's class, w/ the highest avg of all the o-chem classes, averaged 63% when my cousin took it a few years ago.
    Yeah I know. Our prof mentioned how high the average was (midterm 1 had an 84 avg, midterm 2 had an 83 avg). She didn't curve the grades down since she thought the difficulty of the exams was on par with past exams. She taught this course for, IIRC, the last 3-4 years. Organic 1 had a B avg or a 3.0.

We might've been just a smart class (IDK but I doubt it). Each year has access to about 10 years of past exams and the concepts tested rarely change. Class size is in the mid 600s.