• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Gear (UK) discussion

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I have to wonder which show you've been watching all these years, idfnl. These challenges didn't just pop up in Series Ten. And their adventure segments arguably offer the most insight in terms of detailed reviews because they're with the cars the longest. No offense, but it sounds like you just like to *****.
I like to *****, but that's beside the point. My real point is that, yes, the adventure stuff has been around but has started to dominate the series more and more. Occasionally they offer insight but 90% of it is stupid jokes and challenges, mockup convertibles and driving cars upside down. No offense, but it sounds like you just like **** comedy.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I watch because its still a good show, and I download it so I can fast forward thru the bullshit.

Alfa159

Reaction score
The adventures are not always mindless...I actually do learn some from the show but as whodini said it is a nice break from boring car magazine's/shows.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alfa159
The adventures are not always mindless...I actually do learn some from the show but as whodini said it is a nice break from boring car magazine's/shows.
Out of curiosity, have you watched Fifth Gear? That's EXACTLY what a car show is when you don't have the Holy Trinity behind the wheel (pun intended.) Completely. Boring. Drivel.

Alfa159

Reaction score
I have actually tried to watch some Fifth Gear clips on YouTube and it is too hard to watch. Seems like they want to be like Top Gear but just come off boring.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree, the top gear 3 are better than the 5th gear presenters. Its an illogical leap to say that it therefore makes the adventures great. The show is good despite it, IMO.

If your logic were true it would mean that if the 5th gear crew did the stupid adventures the show would be great? It wouldn't.

I think we can all agree that top gear is the better program. Where we disagree is a matter of taste. I believe it would be a better program without so much foolishness.

I'll admit the adventures aren't all bad. Some were even great, the one in Africa, for example. But in Sunday's adventure they were tasked with acquiring a cedar branch, ice cube, barter for a cd and a dog. Oh, and a bike. How is any of that remotely interesting and funny? They should have spent those wasted minutes with Monaco. In fact the whole adventure should have taken place there. I loved hearing the drives talking inside baseball about the circuit, where grip is, where to brake, visual cues, that was brilliant stuff. Stuffing a tree branch in a hatchback? Hammond pretending he couldnt find where he parked a car? That's hilarity for marsupials.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
I agree, the top gear 3 are better than the 5th gear presenters. Its an illogical leap to say that it therefore makes the adventures great. The show is good despite it, IMO. If your logic were true it would mean that if the 5th gear crew did the stupid adventures the show would be great? It wouldn't.
Looks like you made an illogical leap as that's not what I wrote; I didn't specifically mention the adventures. The difference between TG and FG starts at the presenters and the producers tailor segments to fit them. You could have presenters from both shows switch but it'd still be May, Hammond, and Clarke doing mundane car **** and the other idiots attempting to be cool. And as you can see, by my logic you and I agree.

You were wrong. Suck it up and pay closer attention next time.

Originally Posted by idfnl
I think we can all agree that top gear is the better program. Where we disagree is a matter of taste. I believe it would be a better program without so much foolishness.

I'll admit the adventures aren't all bad. Some were even great, the one in Africa, for example. But in Sunday's adventure they were tasked with acquiring a cedar branch, ice cube, barter for a cd and a dog. Oh, and a bike. How is any of that remotely interesting and funny? They should have spent those wasted minutes with Monaco. In fact the whole adventure should have taken place there. I loved hearing the drives talking inside baseball about the circuit, where grip is, where to brake, visual cues, that was brilliant stuff. Stuffing a tree branch in a hatchback? Hammond pretending he couldnt find where he parked a car? That's hilarity for marsupials.

I think you missed on your attempt to insult me and others that agree with me by assuming that what you don't find funny, we automatically do. Some of the challenges are clearly better thought-out and funnier than others. Just because I or anyone else on here happens to see an adventure segment doesn't mean we instinctively shove our hands down our trousers waiting for a go.

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
Amy Williams, still the best part of season 17 so far.
worship.gif
Though driving Monaco was pretty sav.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Hammond not knowing where the Monaco Grand Prix was held while they drove above Monte Carlo and Clarksons facial reactions were priceless.
I also enjoyed their "research." Love how May always gets the shaft when it comes to tutors.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also enjoyed their "research." Love how May always gets the shaft when it comes to tutors.

Yeah but he got that hot blonde model in that rally challenge a few series ago. I mean she was a ****** partner, but she was smoking hot.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like you made an illogical leap as that's not what I wrote; I didn't specifically mention the adventures. The difference between TG and FG starts at the presenters and the producers tailor segments to fit them. You could have presenters from both shows switch but it'd still be May, Hammond, and Clarke doing mundane car **** and the other idiots attempting to be cool. And as you can see, by my logic you and I agree.

You were wrong. Suck it up and pay closer attention next time.

Yes, and my point was that the TG 3 would still do a better job of it than the FG presenters.

I think you missed on your attempt to insult me and others that agree with me by assuming that what you don't find funny, we automatically do. Some of the challenges are clearly better thought-out and funnier than others. Just because I or anyone else on here happens to see an adventure segment doesn't mean we instinctively shove our hands down our trousers waiting for a go.

By the way you argued so viciforiuosly for the challenges, I assumed you loved them like a childhood teddy. You're not a rigid as you seemed. We might even be able to get along.

My point all along is that the show was better a few years ago. The Toyota pickup segment probably wont be topped IMO, so they should stretch into a new area and let the challenges go a bit. For example, how about the 3 of them team to drive Le Mans, and follow the build up in a weekly segment, etc.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the show.

Also, I picked up a Jeremy Clarkson book at Heathrow in the fall and found it quite enjoyable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads