• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top coat for small guys like me?

lsquare

Reaction score
Sorry for starting a new thread for topcoats, but I figure this thread would be nice for people with small bodies like me. Anyways, I'm 5.85" and weight 130lbs. I'm quite skinny. I often wear size 36 Short suits and extra-small to small depending on the brands. I wear size 29W for pants. I went to BR to try their top coat today and it appears to be a little too big for me. The sleeves extend to my knuckles. When I bend my elbow, there tends to be a "build-up" (sorry not sure of the vocabulary to use) of clothes in the elbow area. I'm assuming that it's too big for me? Are there any other top coats that are designed for small guys like me? My budget for this coat will be $300 max. Thanks.

alflauren

Reaction score
I'm interested in the answer to this question as well. I have made do with a wool J.Crew (size small) that almost fits me perfectly, but I will need a replacement. I'm thinking the only decent option is to have one made, and the fabric will probably cost $300, w/o the tailoring.

phooi

Reaction score
Not sure where you live but you might try Zara or H&M. Their clothes are generally cut slim, have small (36), and are priced within your range.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alflauren
I'm interested in the answer to this question as well. I have made do with a wool J.Crew (size small) that almost fits me perfectly, but I will need a replacement. I'm thinking the only decent option is to have one made, and the fabric will probably cost $300, w/o the tailoring.
What are your measurements relative to the coat, and how do you wear it? (ie with a suit, or as a jacket, casually with a sweater, etc)

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on what Banana Republic is doing with their sizing, the smalls can fit a 36 R/S with a bit of TLC from your local tailor. I had a nice mom & pop dry cleaner place do excellent work on a BR overcoat when I first moved to New York. It's looking a bit worn now, but after five years of heavy use, its done an admirable job for around $150 WITH ALTERATIONS.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am five foot seven, 148 pounds. Although I have several topcoats in the 'traditional' length, I prefer my shorter ones, which fall above the knee. Those might not be 'topcoats,' exactly, but they are more flattering to a man my size. I have a great, cashmere coat from Saks Fifth Avenue, that falls just above me knee. I use that coat, all the time. It's easier for me to manipulate, and to take on and off.

You can always go with J.Crew; their prices are low enough to use their garments as 'disposables.' If you want to get into something more expensive, I'd suggest waiting for sales. Buy a six hundred dollar coat, marked to three hundred. I have found that my size is 'unpopular;' almost always I get great, great deals in upper end rtw.

A custom coat, is another option. But I wouldn't bother with that, until I was ready to spend some real money.

alflauren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
What are your measurements relative to the coat, and how do you wear it? (ie with a suit, or as a jacket, casually with a sweater, etc)

I usually wear a 38S sportcoat, so "S" size coats tend to fit me. (But even "S" sizes can be long.) I'm about 5' 7" 135/140 lbs, and while it's not traditional, I like coats that are cut to just above the knee. Anything longer, and I look like I'm 2 feet tall.

Rolo

Reaction score
Finding 38s topcoats is not too difficult; however, if you're short (as I am - 5'4") you'll be taking up the sleeves and often the length (I tend to wear mine at the knee).

The idea of looking to vintage is a good idea, especially if your smaller than a 38s as older coats tend to be cut slimmer. This also allows you to pick things up that are more unique that your standard outerwear fare.

I just picked this coat up off of eBay.

4d_1.JPG

eb_1.JPG

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa

Just wear with casually with a sweater. The BR topcoat fits me pretty well I guess. It's pretty much in the shoulder area that isn't 100%. As a result, the sleeves go down a bit too much and like I said earlier, a "build-up" near the elbow area when I bend it.

UMass

Reaction score
I would try H&M if there is a store near you. Their cuts are slim and I saw they have topcoats in Grey and Black. I know they are not top quality materials but it is a good option for you.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you suddenly find yourself with more money, take a look at FIH Ties (link at the top of the SF page). Jonathan, the owner, posts here. He specializes in clothes for smaller people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads